Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

dumb question thread

Old
Default
dumb question thread - Wed Aug 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
(#1)
havocofsmeg's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 489
How high do you have to finish in the open league games to score positive points?

Tried to look this up using leaderboard, but for some reason, I can only find my results. Any knows what gives with that, too?
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
(#2)
flophitter's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,959
Hi, just checking if you have read through how the scoring works as your question doesn't have a simple answer as it depends on various variables:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...coring-Formula

Try and make sense of that page then come back with any further questions if you have any.

I can't think why you are seeing only your results when you check the Leaderboard, but make sure this the page you're looking at:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/lea...ue/leaderboard

Happy to help further if you need it.
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
(#3)
havocofsmeg's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by flophitter View Post
Hi, just checking if you have read through how the scoring works as your question doesn't have a simple answer as it depends on various variables:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...coring-Formula

Try and make sense of that page then come back with any further questions if you have any.

I can't think why you are seeing only your results when you check the Leaderboard, but make sure this the page you're looking at:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/lea...ue/leaderboard

Happy to help further if you need it.
Sorry flophitter, another case of me not being specific enough on both counts, so let me elaborate:

1) I hate formulas, and was hoping for more of an 'X marks the spot' kind of answer, say top 15%, top third etc.

2) I can pull up the leaderboard hunky dory, what I was refering to was indivigual tourney results for each person, I.E pulling up player X's profile and looking at there results.

Sorry for the confusion!.
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:26 PM
(#4)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocofsmeg View Post
Sorry flophitter, another case of me not being specific enough on both counts, so let me elaborate:

1) I hate formulas, and was hoping for more of an 'X marks the spot' kind of answer, say top 15%, top third etc.

2) I can pull up the leaderboard hunky dory, what I was refering to was indivigual tourney results for each person, I.E pulling up player X's profile and looking at there results.

Sorry for the confusion!.
I THINK IT'S TOP THIRD

WHEN YOU FIND THE PERSON ON THE LEADER BOARD CLICK ON THEIR SCORE


 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:31 PM
(#5)
havocofsmeg's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 489
cheers on the other players scores hemet, and as for the positive points it was in the old (or as i like to call it, the classic league) it was, and when the new one started I assumed it would stay the same, but 1st tourney I played, got top third and negative points.
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:32 PM
(#6)
dR3am3R59's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 110
Try this:
http://translate.google.com/translat....de%2Fskill%2F

The average points field is a little tricky. So in order to "calibrate" it take a known result, and increase/decrease the number in the average points field until it fits. Then use that number for further inquiries.

Last edited by dR3am3R59; Wed Aug 10, 2011 at 02:35 PM..
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
(#7)
doobie818's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 32
It is all point dependant. The more points that you have, the farther you will have to make it to the break even point. At the start of the month it is around 30%. Last month for myself at around 2600 points the break even point was around 12-13%.

Keep an eye on your finishes and you will get an idea as to where you have to make it to for positive.

Hope this helps.

Good luck this month.
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 04:31 PM
(#8)
EdinFreeMan's Avatar
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
.....

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM..
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 04:56 PM
(#9)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
YEA
AT THE START WHEN YOU HAVE 1500 POINTS I THINK IT'S STILL TOP THIRD TO GET ZERO POINTS "ABOUT"
BUT LIKE SOMEONE SAID AS YOUR SCORE GOES UP YOU WILL NEED TO GET HIGHER FOR ZERO POINTS
SO IF YOU HAVE 2000 POINTS YOU MAY NEED TO GET TOP 20 OR 25% IT IS NO SET POINT FOR EVERYBODY
ALSO IF YOU PUT YOUR MOUSE OVER THE GREEN CHECK MARK ON THE LEADER BOARD IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW MANY GAMES THEY HAVE PLAYED THIS MONTH
IF YOU CLICK ON THEIR NAME IT WILL SHOW THEIR PROFILE
HOPE THIS HELPS
GOOD LUCK




Last edited by hemetdennis; Wed Aug 10, 2011 at 05:00 PM..
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:08 PM
(#10)
Cairn Destop's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,477
BronzeStar
Don't know how relevant, but here is how I learned the "math" in the old PSO.


Go to the league page and type in the name of other players and check their history. What you are looking for is a player that came within a quarter point of zero. Divide his position by the number of players in the game. This will give you a rough position to shoot for in future games.

Based on my quick check using this system:

Both league are around the 27% range. So you want to beat at least 73% to reach positive points. For an easy number, figure you score positive points if you finish the game in the top quarter.
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
(#11)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
Don't know how relevant, but here is how I learned the "math" in the old PSO.


Go to the league page and type in the name of other players and check their history. What you are looking for is a player that came within a quarter point of zero. Divide his position by the number of players in the game. This will give you a rough position to shoot for in future games.

Based on my quick check using this system:

Both league are around the 27% range. So you want to beat at least 73% to reach positive points. For an easy number, figure you score positive points if you finish the game in the top quarter.

OR YOU CAN JUST COME IN FIRST AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT
THAT'S THE WAY I DO IT





 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:18 PM
(#12)
PLaws62's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocofsmeg View Post
How high do you have to finish in the open league games to score positive points?

Tried to look this up using leaderboard, but for some reason, I can only find my results. Any knows what gives with that, too?

when you click on the leaderboard do a search on yourself it will bring up your position and your history ,after you have played a few you will get a better idea of your scores per game and number of playersin each game ,it sounds tough but it gets easier as you play more and check your results
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 07:05 PM
(#13)
spike8998's Avatar
Since: Apr 2010
Posts: 853
Hi

use this : http://nitya.111mb.de/skill/

Pretty close to the mark
 
Old
Default
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 07:55 PM
(#14)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
Didn't thanat do a pretty detailed formula for all three leagues?
Check out his thread.

Here it is.
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...al-in-tourneys

~~~

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Wed Aug 10, 2011 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: link
 
Old
Default
Thu Aug 11, 2011, 11:42 AM
(#15)
havocofsmeg's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 489
Interesting. Well so much for the days of simply dividing the entries by three, by the points calculator should help. Thanks to all
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com