Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

AQ preflop fold.

Old
AQ preflop fold. - Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
I like lagun his play but I dislike yours, since he has position on the first raiser he calls (gap concept) with a premium hand to disguise, you have a strong hand, very strong hand. The pot is also quite large and this is a good time to make a 3bet (steal) attempt. Since if you get called you can more easily fold this even the when the A would have hit. 3,5 times the initial raiser bet should do the trick if not, you got to be really careful and just check on the flop with this A 8 8.

Daniel Negreanu himself said AQ is the number one tricky hand, just because of this situation.

Old
Question
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
I'm playing The Big 2.20 tourney and it's the early phase of the tournament. Croc and Lagun have been playing Tight. Croc raises 3bb, Lagun calls, so now I'm thinking one of them has AK and I really wanted to fold AQ considering I have 60bb and it would cost my whole stack if I get an Ace. I didn't think that a 3bet steal would work here, they would call most of the time and I didn't want the pot to be bloated. Flop comes A88, I raise he reraises, and I just know he has AK, but I'm not going to fold with top pair, otherwise I should have just folded preflop. So I shoved, he called with AK, as I suspected. How would u have played this hand?

Last edited by andrei17731; Wed Aug 10, 2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:47 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I don't mind seeing the flop with it, nor your bet on the flop to see where you're at.... BUT... when raised, they're going to have an 8 or AK, so you need to fold to the raise on the flop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com