Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

ducks on the button.

Old
ducks on the button. - Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 07:06 PM
(#2)
I'm playing The Big 2.20 and i decide to limp on the button with the intent of semi-bluffing the flop which I do, but the BB shoves all in and offers me a great price to call- more than two to one. Considering he has a short stack he would probably shove with any pair, thus having me beat. I decided to call because I was getting more than two to one. Do you think I played this correctly or that I should have made a preflop steal or checked the flop? Considering that I knew he had me beat, was it okay to call when being offered more than two to one? How would u have played the hand?

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 07:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
calling is too weak,

your opponent in the BB is very short stacked!!!!!!! he might just call you with anything.
either raise or fold, (in my opinion always raise or fold any hand)
and if you ever call again such a situation, just put the other guy allin on the flop since you planned on going all the way anyway.

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 08:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Raise or fold.... and would depend on my read of the opp. If you call, the only way you'll be ahead is if you hit a 2. I'd rather raise preflop and put the pressure on your opp, instead of letting them hit the flop for free.

Old
Thu Aug 11, 2011, 04:50 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2010

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM..

Old
Thu Aug 11, 2011, 04:38 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjekkkk View Post
calling is too weak,

your opponent in the BB is very short stacked!!!!!!! he might just call you with anything.
either raise or fold, (in my opinion always raise or fold any hand)
and if you ever call again such a situation, just put the other guy allin on the flop since you planned on going all the way anyway.
See That^^

My personal rule for playing against very short stacks in the blinds is that I will not enter ANY pot against them without a hand I am fully prepared to call a shove PRE-FLOP (obviously, there are some read dependant factors which might change this, but in the main it is true).

If I AM willing to "play for stacks" with a given hand, then it is in my best interests to bet in such a manner as to get that IMMEDIATELY. That usually means a RAISE to enter vs the blind of a short stack.

Now let's look at the value of YOUR HAND.

1) 22 is ahead of any un-paired hand. BUT...
2) It is IMPOSSIBLE that there will not be at least 1 over card to 22 on the flop. So...
3) Since you will only flop a set roughly 1 time in 8.5, and if you do NOT flop a set and are behind, you have only 2 outs to draw to, your hand has pretty decent pre-flop value against a short stacks shove range, but it has hardly ANY value as a semi bluff hand on most flops.

So why try getting "cute" with it as a semi-bluff hand?

Just raise standard pre-flop, and if the BB jams, call.

If the BB flats, THEN you are in a somewhat tricky spot if you do NOT flop a set, but by then you will see bigger pot odds, so at least the pice you are getting laid is better...

As for your QUESTIONS:

Do you think I played this correctly or that I should have made a preflop steal or checked the flop?

No I do not. I think you should have raised pre-flop, even to the point of raising enough to put BB all in, and would have made a BETTER play than the "fancier" line you took.

Considering that I knew he had me beat, was it okay to call when being offered more than two to one? How would u have played the hand?

No. 2 to 1 odds is a "magic number" because it equates to the odds needed by un-paired under cards to draw out on un-paired over cards. Your situation was entirely different.

You held 22, and were drawing to 2 outs to run down any better paired hand.
2 outs times 2 streets = 4 out chances.
Divded by 46.5 means you had about an 8.6% chance to catch up to any HIGHER paired hand.

This means you would have needed in excess of 10 to 1 odds to make calling "ok".

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com