Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

A set down by a straight draw

Old
A set down by a straight draw - Fri Aug 12, 2011, 02:19 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

Ok here it goes:

I limp my pocket threes from a middle position, and also there was a big amount of limpers behind me, nobody raised.

FLOP: 5 7 3 rainbow. Guy from the BB raises a lot, and i decide just to shove it with my set right there, even though i was a bit worried about 4 6 hand which could he easily have since he was on the big blind.
Then a guy behind me shoves as well, but he was a total calling station, so he could have anything. The raising guy calls as well.

The calling station had 2 4, only a straight draw, he was calling anything he had, not matter if there was a raise or not, the BB had middle pair only.

The turn changed nothing, but river gave that CS a straight...what should i do against such idiots?
He was calling all the raises, with total junk and ALWAYS got lucky...i am being desperate.

How do you play this small pocket pairs from UTG or other bad position?

Regards
HohnerBoy

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 02:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It's way, way too early to be shoving unless you're certain you'll have the best hand AFTER all 5 board cards are shown. People will be calling/shoving with basically ATC this early.

Having a set, I'd have called the flop bet, BUT, you don't want to push unless you get a full house, as any straight draws will most likely call it.

patience, patience, patience

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 04:22 PM
(#3)
what do you do with small pocket pairs when you are UTG? i really suck at this hands...

Regards

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
WELL YOU ARE NOT UTG HERE

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
(#5)
Who said i am? I just ask what to do in that case

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 05:58 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
There IS nothing you can do about the mathematics of poker.

Luck happens, it will always happen, and it is always out of your control.

In this spot, both these palyers essentially STACKED OFF as big dogs; one of 'em held 2nd pair with A kicker, the other on just an ooe Straight draw. What ELSE do you want?

The fact is, that straight draw WILL get there by the river about 1 time in 3 if he sees both cards, and being all in on the flop guarentees he will see both cards. So THAT means, roughly 1 time in 3 you WILL lose (sometimes you'll pair the turn and his straight on the riv will be no good, or his turned straight will lsoe to your boat).

The only thing you can do is ACCEPT IT.

Poker is a game of good decisions, NOT guarentees that those good decisions will result in wins every time.

If you have indications you villains will stack off this lightly versus your set, ten you WANT to get them to do it...every time. But when you DO get them to do it, you will surely LOSE 1 time in 3.

But the 2 times in 3 you do win will more than pay you back for your losses.

...THAT is what poker is about, not trying to find "solutions" to control luck.

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HohnerBoy View Post
what do you do with small pocket pairs when you are UTG? i really suck at this hands...

Regards
early small pairs from UTG, unless you can guarantee that any others that want to play the pot will call a limp... should be mucked. If you're in late position and want to limp in or call a small raise, no problems... but don't push until you know your hand will hold up after all 5 board cards are seen.

It isn't easy, even with big pairs (had KK last night, myself that I pushed after 3 unders on the flop... only to be rivered by a J to the opp's JJ that called me). What you need to do is to learn from every situation that you get into, both good and bad, and to see how you can make the best of those situations the next time.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com