Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

The Ideal PSO League Structure (I)

Old
The Ideal PSO League Structure (I) - Fri Aug 12, 2011, 03:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Poker Stars supports the PSO and the league as a promotion to increase business in the long run. If it is not successful in doing this, they will stop supporting the league and the school in general. The advantages for those of us participating in a successful school and the league are obvious: improving your game and building a bankroll using prize money Poker Stars supplies. his post will give the overall outline for the format of the skill leagues that i think will maximize the benifits for both Poker Stars and the players. Follow up posts will discuss each point in detail and my reasons for making these choices.

The league should be divided into four. An open freeroll qualifier, a second division with about 12,000 entrants,a first division with 5,000 competitors, and the elite 2,000 competing in the premier league.

Month end prize money for the open qualifier should be about $3,000, $6,000 for the second division, $12,000 for first division, and $24,000 for the premier league. The total is about the same as the two leagues today. First prize in the divisions should be $200, $400, $750, and $1500.

Each league will have six tournaments daily, four hours apart. The starting times will rotate, one hour later each day, and every fourth day repeat the first day of the sequence. The points for league standings will not be freatly increased by entering many tournaments beyond a minimum of fifty tournaments. Beyond this point skill and variance will be much more important than the extra tounaments played. Tournament scores will increase as the month goes on.

Blinds shall be small in relation to the initial stack size for the first hour at least (6-8 levels.) Then they will increase slightly faster than currently to prevent the tournaments from going on longer than they presently do.

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
WELL FIRST THING IS YOU HAVE 19,000 PLAYERS IN YOUR SET UP
WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE OTHER 40,000 (SO FAR) JUST SHOOT THEM TO GET RID OF THEM ??

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 04:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Your title's missing an "imo"

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 04:50 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
WELL FIRST THING IS YOU HAVE 19,000 PLAYERS IN YOUR SET UP
WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE OTHER 40,000 (SO FAR) JUST SHOOT THEM TO GET RID OF THEM ??

The 19,000 are in the top three divisions. The 40,000+ are in the open division.

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 05:50 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
I think the league should be like 3k starting stack with 15 minute blinds for the open league. Im just saying because most micro tournys start with 3k and 15 minute blinds this would be a good way to get players adjusted to that format. And 10k starting stack with 20 minute blinds for the premier league so players would be used to it for big tournies like the Sunday million. With big top money prize payouts for a single tournament so people dont play like maniacs, Im sure theres a way you could balance out the payouts with the current prizepools so you can make bigger prizes for each tournament.

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 09:24 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
The league should be divided into four. An open freeroll qualifier, a second division with about 12,000 entrants,a first division with 5,000 competitors, and the elite 2,000 competing in the premier league.

Isn't this the old argument about the need for a tiered league? This is something PresBruno championed from day one. Now under the old PSO, there were insufficient numbers, 16K, to warrant a division of two or more groupings. The new league has over 100K participants. As I'm seeing it, the top 19K will be insulated from the other 80K+ members. Nice for the players who grouse about the maniacs, but it's an unrealistic structure.

I'm looking at the structure and the money.
Open League:
unlimited membership - $3,000 in prize money
Second Division:
12,000 players - $6,000 in prize money
First Division:
5,000 players - $12,000 in prize money
Premier Division:
2,000 players - $24,000 in prize money

Total prize = $44,000

Each league will have six tournaments daily, four hours apart.
6 games times 4 leagues times $10 prize fund times 30 days = $7,200 (Based on the need to have a prize in order to establish positions, as explained per PSO Staff.)

Total cost to PokerStars, excluding administrative costs = $51,200 per month

If this is indeed to be a profitable business venture, the anticipated revenues must equal $57,000 for a 10% ROI. This only includes the prize fund as an expense; no other expenses have been included, which means these numbers are conservative. How would you guarantee a profit? Note that with 100K players in a two-tier league structure, players must have more than 150 VPPS. I ignore the Premier Qualifier League since it is on a purchase price structure of $1.00 + 0.10, which should have it self sustaining.

If 1 VPPS = $0.19 (based on a $0.10 fee = 0.55 VPPS) every 150.01 player generates $28.50, while every 20.01 VPPS player generates $3.80 in revenue to PokerStars.

A breakeven point = 2,000 players if all earn the 150+ VPPS.
A breakeven point = 15,000 players if all earn the 20 VPPS.

My question would be how will each division be divided regarding VPPS. Right now, the Open League pays something to players who have zero VPPS, which means those earning VPPS must subsidize this part of the operation. A player in the Premier League is penalized more than 90% if they are below the 150.01 VPPS level. Will each of these four leagues have separate VPPS goals?

... beyond a minimum of fifty tournaments. Beyond this point skill and variance will be much more important than the extra tounaments played.

Is this a typo? Did you mean "beyond a maximum of fifty tournaments?" As it reads, players would be required to play ten times as many games as the current system needs for qualification. The sentence regarding "Beyond this point" infers one cannot play more games without incurring a penalty. Put together, under your proposal, players would have to play fifty games to qualify, and would suffer a penalty if they attempted to play beyond this number. Sounds more like an extention of the Battle of the Planets system.

Each league will have six tournaments daily, four hours apart. The starting times will rotate, one hour later each day, and every fourth day repeat the first day of the sequence.

I'll admit to both a bit of confusion and support for this item. If I am right, then your idea would remove the argument about times favoring one time zone. Let me give a fictitional schedule and then you tell me if I have the right of it.

DAY 1:
Game times = 0030 hours - 0430 hours - 0830 hours - 1230 hours - 1630 hours - 2030 hours
DAY 2:
Game times = 0130 hours - 0530 hours - 0930 hours - 1330 hours - 1730 hours - 2130 hours
DAY 3:
Game times = 0230 hours - 0630 hours - 1030 hours - 1430 hours - 1830 hours - 2230 hours
DAY 4:
Game times = 0330 hours - 0730 hours - 1130 hours - 1530 hours - 1930 hours - 2330 hours
DAY 5:
Returns to the schedule for Day 1.

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 10:53 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar671 View Post
I think the league should be like 3k starting stack with 15 minute blinds for the open league. Im just saying because most micro tournys start with 3k and 15 minute blinds this would be a good way to get players adjusted to that format. And 10k starting stack with 20 minute blinds for the premier league so players would be used to it for big tournies like the Sunday million. With big top money prize payouts for a single tournament so people dont play like maniacs, Im sure theres a way you could balance out the payouts with the current prizepools so you can make bigger prizes for each tournament.

The first hour and a half to two hours the BB to starting stack ratio will be about the same as the micro tourneys, just more levels. After that, the blind and antes increase faster than the micro tourney, so that the tourney finishes sooner.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com