Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

QQ vs AJ

Old
QQ vs AJ - Sat Aug 13, 2011, 11:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

OK here it goes:

PREFLOP: I saw a QQ hand infront of me, and quite a few limpers, so i decided to raise to 400. I was called by 3 players.

FLOP: J 9 8, 2 hearts. I was out of the position, and the board was sooo wet, that i only had the option of doing a check or doing a shove. I decided to shove it, because it was the middle stage of the tournament, and i didnt want any draws to follow me. My plan worked, only top pair called me, i just didnt want to see running hearts, an Ace or a Jack....

BOOM there comes the jack on the turn and i was defeated.

I guess my shove was too fast, should i check/fold my hand even though i had an overpair?

Regards
HohnerBoy

Old
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 11:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
i really cant see getting your chips in any later than you did. you had less that a half pot size bet left behind. SPR of like .4ish, (thats point 4 lol) and when the money got in you were in WAY good...like 78%. he just spiked one of his 5..good play imo.
Edit: sorry used your stack instead of effective...SPR of .34 lol....close enough

Last edited by mtnestegg; Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 02:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
You have a 17 bb stack to start the hand and put 6 of them in preflop. Folding an overpair would be attrocious, you're committed to the hand. Over a single limper I think shoving pre would be fine, if the table is loose which from this hand it looks like they might be, you can easily get called by worse.

The only problem with this hand imo is the preflop raise sizing. Either shove over the limper, or if you are going to raise less than a shove raise small enough so that if the shorty goes with his hand, his shove is enough to reopen the betting and allow you to raise again and get it in at that point. By opening 4x the shorties shove isn't enough to allow you to rasie again, so all the callers are now forced to call as well and you have to fade several players without having given them a chance to flat/fold pre.

Edit, had to go back and look at the stacks again, there are 3 short stacks behind you but the shortest is the SB who starts with 655. So if you make it 350 instead of 400, that's a raise of 250, if he shoves for 655 total that's a rasie of 305 more (250 or greater reopens the betting) so now you can raise again. By making it 400 you've raised 300 more, and his shove is only 255 on top of that (must be at least 300, matching your raise or greater, to reopen the betting and allow you to raise again).

Last edited by TheLangolier; Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
So you are actually saying that i played it right, and it should be considered more like a bad beat?
If that is true i am glad to hear it, because i was sure i f****d it up again....

Regards
HohnerBoy

Old
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post

The only problem with this hand imo is the preflop raise sizing. Either shove over the limper, or if you are going to raise less than a shove raise small enough so that if the shorty goes with his hand, his shove is enough to reopen the betting and allow you to raise again and get it in at that point. By opening 4x the shorties shove isn't enough to allow you to rasie again, so all the callers are now forced to call as well and you have to fade several players without having given them a chance to flat/fold pre.
what he said

Edit, had to go back and look at the stacks again, there are 3 short stacks behind you but the shortest is the SB who starts with 655. So if you make it 350 instead of 400, that's a raise of 250, if he shoves for 655 total that's a rasie of 305 more (250 or greater reopens the betting) so now you can raise again. By making it 400 you've raised 300 more, and his shove is only 255 on top of that (must be at least 300, matching your raise or greater, to reopen the betting and allow you to raise again).[/QUOTE] edit: very good point! didn't see that.

Last edited by mtnestegg; Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 02:57 PM
(#6)
[QUOTE=TheLangolier;296726]

The only problem with this hand imo is the preflop raise sizing. Either shove over the limper, or if you are going to raise less than a shove raise small enough so that if the shorty goes with his hand, his shove is enough to reopen the betting and allow you to raise again and get it in at that point. By opening 4x the shorties shove isn't enough to allow you to rasie again, so all the callers are now forced to call as well and you have to fade several players without having given them a chance to flat/fold pre. what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier,296726
Edit, had to go back and look at the stacks again, there are 3 short stacks behind you but the shortest is the SB who starts with 655. So if you make it 350 instead of 400, that's a raise of 250, if he shoves for 655 total that's a rasie of 305 more (250 or greater reopens the betting) so now you can raise again. By making it 400 you've raised 300 more, and his shove is only 255 on top of that (must be at least 300, matching your raise or greater, to reopen the betting and allow you to raise again).
very good point! didn't see that.

Old
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 02:58 PM
(#7)
i really have to learn to muliquote....lol

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com