Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

UKIPT Poker League final table AK

Old
UKIPT Poker League final table AK - Sat Aug 13, 2011, 05:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010

Any suggesting on how badly I played this hand will be appreciated.
I have 21BB, the Big Blind has 37
I think my preflop raise should have been larger. Do I shove with 21BB?
What do you think about my c-bet? Did it smell of weakness? Should I have checked?
The Big Blinds RaiseCB was 100(2)
Did he float the **** out of me?

Old
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 05:55 PM
(#2)
My call of his raise was ridiculous

Old
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyP11 View Post
Any suggesting on how badly I played this hand will be appreciated.
I have 21BB, the Big Blind has 37
I think my preflop raise should have been larger. Do I shove with 21BB?
Ask yourself this: "How much would a STANDARD aggression betting line cost me?"

The usual answer to that is a 3BB open raise.
With a caller, the pot will be 6.5 to 7.5BB.
As the initial raiser, you are also obligating yourself to making a c-Bet far more often than not.
A standard C-Bet would be around half pot, or another 3 to 4BB.

Can you comfortably put this amount into the pot, then FOLD on your stack size?

So I think I am NOT following a zstandard aggression betting line with AK here; I simply MUST make some changes to that somewhere, or else I will find myself on the flop with 33% of my stack in the pot, and 2/3rds of those flops will NOT have me holding any pair at all.

The major question is WHERE do I change things up?

That requires more read info on your villain, than you provide though...

Quote:
What do you think about my c-bet?
Did it smell of weakness? Should I have checked?
Nah, all your bets are within the realm of "standard" sizing, albeit a tad smaller than I've outlined above.
As for whether you should check...what do your villain reads tell you?
What does the strength of your hand tell you that you "should" do if he calls, or plays back at your C-Bet?

Quote:
The Big Blinds RaiseCB was 100(2)
Did he float the **** out of me?
Who knows? What was his VPiP?

Sounds to me like he is the type who ALWAYS puts everyone on AK, and w/o an A or K on board, he raises any C-Bet.
Either that, or he is a small ball type player too, and knows your small-ish 2.35 times raise in postion does not need to be "strength"...hence he will ATTACK that from his blind.

But if his VPiP is LOW, then he may well have it every time...since "having it" here equates to ANY pair versus your un-paired AK...

So...

The situation you find yourself in here is definately a tricky one.
What you DO know for sure...

- Your AK is definately a playable hand.
Since you NEED chips to come up off this small to middlin' stack, you gotta play AK somehow.

- Your stack is definately NOT of a size to allow you standard range in your bet sizing decisions and post flop play.
Any time you are not allowed full playability range by your stack size, it becomes crucial that you have sharp reads to tell you what is the BEST way to combine your needs of chip accumulation and chip preservation into the best decision possible.

Look at your viable options:

LIMP IN to FIT OR FOLD.
With 21BB, you can "afford" a limp and look line much easier than you could a raise/fold or Raise/C-Bet/Fold line.
If your villain reads say someone will attack your limp quite often, you still have a group 1 hand which is at least a RACE versus all but 2 hands.
You can easily ship 'em over all but the tightest villains who might raise your limp, or relatively cheaply FOLD to specific raise sizes.

OPEN SHOVE PRE.
It is a truism that LARGE chip moves result in a lot of small wins, and a couple BIG losses.
On your 21BB stack, especially with an un-paired start hand like AK, means the blinds and antes are a 12.5% increase for you.
If you have someone who might tend to play you "hard" from the blind, or someone who may call on lesser aces, then the open shove is not really that bad for you.

STANDARD RAISE/NO C-BET
This is somewhat passive for your stack, but it can be viable against VERY specific villains, like the guy who will 100% 3Bets C-Bettors. The problem with this is it either forces you into a pretty risky bluff shove spot on the turn (if BB attacks your check on the turn and you miss), or forces you to turn AK into just a drawing hand. It is similar to to the limp and look play, only with your open RAISE tending toward buying you through to the turn.

STANDARD RAISE/OPEN JAM
Highly risky, as it will essentially be an over card semi bluff about 2/3rds of the time (when you miss the flop), and even a single pair hit may be BEHIND someone willing to check/call your entire stack. Also denies you value quite often from your single pair hits.

So...

With those options, which do YOU think may have been best, versus what you knew AT THE TIME (not looking at the results)?

I think your only big 'failing" in this hand was approaching it in too standard a manner, and failing to plan ahead for the potential un-expected things which might happen. If you notice your stack size next time, as well as the tendencies of your opponent(s) left to act, you can consider more non standard things, and be more prepared for when you face these types of things.

Hope it helps.

Old
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 04:55 AM
(#4)
Thanks JDean
That sure helps. Some great stuff to think over. I definitely didnt plan the hand and it is something I need to improve on. The Big Blind had stats of 22/21 over 164 hands. Im thinking maybe the raise/check/fold or limp/look/fold line may have been a better option at that stage and on that flop as I wasted 9BB on my cbet/call/fold. Therefore I would stil have been in a position to find a better spot. Thanks again.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com