Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Pokerbooks

Old
Pokerbooks - Mon Aug 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask for a few suggestions for any good poker handbooks for lets say a little experienced beginners

thanks

btex

Old
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 10:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Sklansky's "Theory of Poker"

an "experienced beginner" is ready for the defintiion of the basic concepts of poker held within that book, and also should be capable of starting to make some of the adjustments for different games to apply the general poker theories effectively.

Old
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Welcome tex to the forum.
I had written down one that I wanted to get, but can't find my note now. It's called "Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time"..i think..and I can't remember the authors (2).
I've heard great stuff about this book so I wanted to check it out myself.

Let us know if you have any questions..sorry my info is incomplete.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 12:37 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
[rwtyujkuhtrgewfrtyuioiytr

Last edited by Weee--Waise; Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 09:21 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 01:21 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weee--Waise View Post
Great book, Lots to be learned between the covers of that book

authors are Eric Lynch, Jon Van Fleet and Jon Turner
Edit: Books, volumes 1 and 2. I couldn't agree more they are phenomenal.

A couple things though... first they are NLHE tournament books, so one should keep that in mind when purchasing (honestly though I would recommend them to cash players as well, the way these guys analyze hands in these books is something special).

The other thing and this is very relevant to the OP, the Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time books are NOT for beginners, they are not appropriate for the OP (yet). You can certainly get a head start but a lot of the discussion in these books will be over the head of a beginner to the game, so realize that going in.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 06:34 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2011
thanks for suggestions, i guess i will just buy one of those and see if I can understand them

Old
Wed Aug 24, 2011, 12:15 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Can't imagine youve studied and applied the Langolier's video training classes and still consider yourself even a "experienced" beginner. Therefore, that's my suggestion, check em out. Then, go through them again. The stuff that goes over your head a little first makes more sense the second time. At least from my experience.

Sklanskis Theory book a must have for any poker player.

Winning T.P.One Hand at a Time on my next buy list. Heard nothing but great things about that book.

Last edited by johannfl; Wed Aug 24, 2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Those Winning One Hand At A Time tournament books have been on my to-buy list for some time now. I was actually about to get one of them through the FPP store, but Black Friday beat me to the punch lol. I'm more focused on cash games, but did play the occasional tournament and I bet those books would help so much.

When it comes to books I have actually read, I would first recommend Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker Like The Pros. It's not the best book in the world, but it is a great beginner book and it is very cheap now($7 including shipping NEW on Amazon).

Now for the ultimate recommendation: No Limit Holdem Theory and Practice. One of the most valuable purchases I have ever made(not just for books, I'm talking anything I've ever bought). With out a doubt made hundreds of dollars of difference in my poker game. This book is not for absolute beginners. It is at intermediate level. I would recommend reading an easier book first and spending more time at the tables building some experience.

Old
Sat Aug 27, 2011, 02:27 PM
(#9)
rwtyujkuhtrgewfrtyuioiytr

Last edited by Weee--Waise; Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 09:17 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com