Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

10/20 fpp tournies

Old
Default
10/20 fpp tournies - Mon Aug 22, 2011, 06:47 PM
(#1)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
The 10 fpp tournies have been upped to $1,000 prizepool and the 20 fpp's to $2,000 for a week to go along with the megamonth promo. May have to actually do these again temp
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 07:07 PM
(#2)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
thats a nice deal..................
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 09:07 PM
(#3)
Drywallman3's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 277
why oh why do I still come back here to feel the torture of all these really awesome promos that I can't play in anymore
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 09:44 PM
(#4)
RedLetterman's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
meh

Last edited by RedLetterman; Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: meh
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 09:55 PM
(#5)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
There are actually many high end turbo tournaments these days. In fact, Many online pro's preach the value of mastering turbo's as well, if not more than standard tournaments for maximizing profit. I think claiming that they are nothing but donkish shove fests is a bit amateurish in itself.

Is it a different game? Of course! Is it a pure donk shove fest? Of course not!

They are fantastic for stressing the importance of math/fold equity management/positional opening ranges/proper hand range aggression/hand range reads/ etc.
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
(#6)
Sandtrap777's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
There are actually many high end turbo tournaments these days. In fact, Many online pro's preach the value of mastering turbo's as well, if not more than standard tournaments for maximizing profit. I think claiming that they are nothing but donkish shove fests is a bit amateurish in itself.

Is it a different game? Of course! Is it a pure donk shove fest? Of course not!

They are fantastic for stressing the importance of math/fold equity management/positional opening ranges/proper hand range aggression/hand range reads/ etc.


+10000
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 10:15 PM
(#7)
RedLetterman's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
meh

Last edited by RedLetterman; Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: meh
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 10:22 PM
(#8)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
turbos I dont mind, its the super turbos that are nuts... and the site I am on now they are rediculous but great for learning shove/ fold ranges and really require a certain expertise that regular game players just dont have... it will really give you a huge advantage at the bubble of tourneys
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 10:43 PM
(#9)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
turbos I dont mind, its the super turbos that are nuts... and the site I am on now they are rediculous but great for learning shove/ fold ranges and really require a certain expertise that regular game players just dont have... it will really give you a huge advantage at the bubble of tourneys
Yeah the hyper turbos are pretty intense

I personally prefer the slower deep-stack style tournaments but I guess the point I was trying to make is that every form of poker takes a certain degree of skill to master. Just because we may be weak at it, or generally dislike it from an entertainment point of view, doesn't mean it is only for the "donks".
 
Old
Default
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:07 PM
(#10)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
Yeah the hyper turbos are pretty intense

I personally prefer the slower deep-stack style tournaments but I guess the point I was trying to make is that every form of poker takes a certain degree of skill to master. Just because we may be weak at it, or generally dislike it from an entertainment point of view, doesn't mean it is only for the "donks".
yeah I know a guy who only plays the 2 and $5 hypers on another site.. plays around 800 a day and has an roi of 5% which is the highest of any site around,,, guy makes $40 an hour playing them... its unreal how tough they are but he seems to have mastered them
 
Old
Default
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 02:10 AM
(#11)
RedLetterman's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
meh

Last edited by RedLetterman; Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: meh
 
Old
Default
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
(#12)
ketchup143's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 279
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLetterman View Post
"....In fact, Many online pro's preach the value of mastering turbo's as well, if not more than standard tournaments for maximizing profit. "

Me: Not surprising that online pros preach turbos. Similarity to pharmaceuticals preaching pills should not be lost on anyone. Or bankers peddling Swaps, for that matter.

"I think claiming that they are nothing but donkish shove fests is a bit amateurish in itself."

Me: I never said they were donkish. My reference was to an actual tournament at UB called The Donkament. Out of respect for Poker Stars the asterisks were meant to avoid mentioning it on this site. As it is a now defunct site mentioning it is no biggy, I suppose.

"Is it a different game? Of course! Is it a pure donk shove fest? Of course not!"

Me: (great admirer of your exclamation points, of course)

"They are fantastic for stressing the importance of math/fold equity management/positional opening ranges/proper hand range aggression/hand range reads/ etc."

Me: Whaaaat? Reciting a bunch of fundamentals gets you a thumbs up from the gallery? Kind of a surface thing eh? Not exactly deep stuff.


Me still: Fantastic? As in.... um..... fantasy? Do you mean the rapidity requires one to pay more attention to math fold equity management positional opening ranges proper hand range aggression hand range reads etc?
(Whew! Out of breath!)
If so does this mean using turbos as a learning tool? Sure hope people aren't trying to sharpen their game by playing turbos, (although that would explain the effin' calls we've all seen in a regularly timed game).Perhaps you mean these poker skills must be more finely honed in a turbo in order to be somewhat successful. If it is this second bit of reasoning it has me wondering about how frequently one gets spanked by a luck box in a regular tourney and how that stat can and will increase exponentially in a turbo. You've seen it. I've seen it. No sense denying it.

Not sure I get you here. Then again, you weren't really trying to instruct. You were just tossing my opinion out with the cat.
what he means is that turbos require u to play faster, but that doesn't mean u can't do it intelligently. just b/c others are playing fast, it doesn't mean the tourneys are unbeatable. the other players typically play too fast, and there are still places to pick up dead money where everyone will fold. then, u can use this money to shove in a spot that will double u up. u just have to give more value to a wider range of hands and put more money in the pot when u get them. sure people will make donkey calls and suck out, but once again, u can get ur money in good, and ur hand will hold up the same percentage of the time as it would in a regular tourney. hyper turbos require u to do everything u would do in a turbo, only faster. i personally dislike hyper turbos, but maybe i will look into playing them one day
 
Old
Default
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 09:39 AM
(#13)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup143 View Post
what he means is that turbos require u to play faster, but that doesn't mean u can't do it intelligently. just b/c others are playing fast, it doesn't mean the tourneys are unbeatable. the other players typically play too fast, and there are still places to pick up dead money where everyone will fold. then, u can use this money to shove in a spot that will double u up. u just have to give more value to a wider range of hands and put more money in the pot when u get them. sure people will make donkey calls and suck out, but once again, u can get ur money in good, and ur hand will hold up the same percentage of the time as it would in a regular tourney. hyper turbos require u to do everything u would do in a turbo, only faster. i personally dislike hyper turbos, but maybe i will look into playing them one day
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLetterman View Post
(Whew! Out of breath!)If so does this mean using turbos as a learning tool? Sure hope people aren't trying to sharpen their game by playing turbos, (although that would explain the effin' calls we've all seen in a regularly timed game).
Why wouldn't you try using turbos as a learning tool? Sounds like pure stubbornness if you are not. You are going to be forced into short stack aggression more frequently, and you can work on your shove ranges / calling ranges. You can also take advantage of how you play against more lag style of players among so many other elements of poker that turbos bring to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLetterman View Post
Me: Whaaaat? Reciting a bunch of fundamentals gets you a thumbs up from the gallery? Kind of a surface thing eh? Not exactly deep stuff.
I'm trying very hard to make my point without throwing too much poker terminology and basic strategy as that obviously caused you to bristle Sure does make it hard to explain the value of certain poker game types though !

Here I thought I was just making an innocent post that could never spark a debate.

Last edited by Da Sens Fan; Tue Aug 23, 2011 at 09:59 AM..
 
Old
Default
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
(#14)
RedLetterman's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
C'mon you two....What's wrong with this logic?

"u just have to give more value to a wider range of hands and put more money in the pot when u get them. sure people will make donkey calls and suck out, but once again, u can get ur money in good, and ur hand will hold up the same percentage of the time as it would in a regular tourney."

You cannot give more value to a wider range of hands and have your hand hold up the same percentage of the time as it would in a regular tourney. Period.
-----------------
"I'm trying very hard to make my point without throwing too much poker terminology and basic strategy as that obviously caused you to bristle"

Yeah. Bristle. Sorry 'bout that. I sure "bristle" when reading a JD post in its entirety. Or the seven or eight dog - eared poker books I have on the shelf. Your assumption was way off the mark. You sounded like a salesman glibly tossing key words in support of an argument you fail to yet make. University prof would have his red pen all over your rebuttal.


Anyway, original post was my opinion of turbos. You disagree. Good.









 
Old
Default
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 12:02 PM
(#15)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLetterman View Post
C'mon you two....What's wrong with this logic?

"u just have to give more value to a wider range of hands and put more money in the pot when u get them. sure people will make donkey calls and suck out, but once again, u can get ur money in good, and [B]ur hand will hold up the same percentage of the time as it would in a regular tourney."

You cannot give more value to a wider range of hands and have your hand hold up the same percentage of the time as it would in a regular tourney. Period.
WOW his comment sure went wayyyyy over your head. I'm not going to bother explaining it to you, that's what you have all those worn out poker books for. You obviously want to stubbornly keep your head under the sand which is fine.

Guess we will all have to agree to disagree on this one. This thread obviously has been completely derailed. Best of luck on the tables.
 
Old
Default
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
(#16)
RedLetterman's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
WOW his comment sure went wayyyyy over your head. I'm not going to bother explaining it to you, that's what you have all those worn out poker books for. You obviously want to stubbornly keep your head under the sand which is fine.

Guess we will all have to agree to disagree on this one. This thread obviously has been completely derailed.
While you have a right to disagree I urge you to reconsider using superlatives as a way of strengthening your position. It doesn't. They don't.

Obviously, lots of things are wayyyyy over my stubborn little head. And by the way, I did not expect you to explain the faulty logic. The premise would be illogical
 
Old
Default
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
(#17)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
I like icecream
 
Old
Default
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 03:50 PM
(#18)
RedLetterman's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
I like icecream
lol
Well, at least you didn't say that ice cream was obviously the very best food in the world and only stubborn Vulcans would disagree.

(you made some popcorn and are still waiting out the show here?)

BTW ... 10 minutes ago

(I play 'em. Just don't care for 'em)


PokerStars Tournament #430086969, No Limit Hold'em
Super Satellite
Buy-In: 20 FPP
74 players
Total Prize Pool: 1480 FPP
Target Tournament #430086822
7 tickets to the target tournament

Tournament started 2011/08/23 11:41:00 PT [2011/08/23 14:41:00 ET]


Dear RedLetterman,

You finished the tournament in 1st place. You qualified to play in Tournament #430086822 and are automatically registered for it. See Tournament #430086822 Lobby for further details.




Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com