Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

how many folks want to try another duplicate Poker hand?

View Poll Results: What is closest to your view of Duplicate Poker Hand exercises?
I look in only because it is fun to vote. 0 0%
I look in and respond/cast my vote often. This is a good exercise! 8 57.14%
I look in and cast my vote often. I do not have much to add though. 5 35.71%
I don't really care, I just look when I think of it. 1 7.14%
Useless waste of time. Nothing to learn here. 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old
how many folks want to try another duplicate Poker hand? - Mon Aug 22, 2011, 10:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Seems interest in responding to the hands is waning a little bit, although there does seem to be continued interest in looking at the hands.

Are you guys getting some good stuff from these hands, or is it jsut a "fun distraction" in the forum?

I'm just about how many of the views of each street are INDIVIDUAL views...how many folks are looking in, and how many are repeat visits to re-cap info.

Please vote, and let me know if it is worthwhile to keep going with these...

Thanks!

Old
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I VOTED YES

Old
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
count me in.

Old
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
i love this excercise! i sure hope we dont lose it. that would be a real shame . great learning tool for participants and veiwers alike

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 12:30 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
31 views, 5 votes, 3 replies...

:-)

That means a lot of people are peeking and not voting, or a lot of folks are multi-viewing this post.

That's the purpose of this: to guage the actual number of folks who ARE popping in as individuals.

So 'd ask that anyone looking in, even for a second, please take the time to pop up a quick vote, even if you do NOT post anything.

thanks.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 12:48 AM
(#6)
This is a good exercise would like to see it keep going.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 07:32 AM
(#7)
Please keep it rolling onward. Due to time constraints my participation has been minimal but this is a valuable exercise.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 08:31 AM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2010

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
(#9)
Hey ed, I just bumped a thread (duplicate poker hand #1 the flop) the first post by jdean has a link that explanes it better than I could. Sorry I cant copy n paste the link as i'm on my phone doing this. Basically it's a player reading/value maximizing/ranging excercise derrived from (i believe) duplicate bridge where you see who makes the most out of playing the exact same cards as everyone else. This differs in that we vote and majority wins as to our next action, and we discuss why we take the actions we do, and gleen some insight on how different ppl think in given situations and learn from those different perspectives. REALLY great learning tool!!
To play this like duplicate bridge jdeans fingers would be worn to even shorter nubs than they already are!! Saying that, thanks again jdean for all the work you put into this for little or no benifit of your own!

Last edited by mtnestegg; Tue Aug 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
I have taken a look at most of these hands JD but never taken the time to post in them.I think these are great.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 01:23 PM
(#11)
(Head Trainer)
I think they're a good exercise. I'm willing to continue as a player as well if you want.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
i want in!! but is it also possible to look at the scenario's that didn't made the vote!

for example what happened last hand if we would have raised preflop! just to see the differ between actions

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 02:16 PM
(#13)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
but is it also possible to look at the scenario's that didn't made the vote!

for example what happened last hand if we would have raised preflop! just to see the differ between actions
I wouldn't encourage this. It will tend to lead to a lot of results oriented thinking, which is a bad thing. You'll get to see how players would respond with their actual hands, but that's meaningless, as you're not taking an action against their specific hand, you're taking it against their range. It's possible that raising preflop might have gotten the group a better result on this individual trial (I don't know), but 3betting McEvoy's open with AQs is generally going to be a pretty bad play imo.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 02:30 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
i just asked because after folding i saw a lot of reactions that told me that they probably were better of reraising! so i was thinking about that!!

but i know what u saying!!

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 04:31 PM
(#15)
Since: Apr 2011
I just missed one vote, as my internet was down for few days.
I vote keep
TY JD for your time

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 04:38 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
It's possible that raising preflop might have gotten the group a better result on this individual trial (I don't know), but 3betting McEvoy's open with AQs is generally going to be a pretty bad play imo.
As a proponent of 3 betting I was looking at fold equity thinking that McEvoy was only calling about 25% of his open-raising range and that a 3-bet would push those behind us out. I'll run some numbers to see if my gut was right and post my results later tonight. The problem with this line is if we are called we are then a huge dog.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 05:28 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
As a proponent of 3 betting I was looking at fold equity thinking that McEvoy was only calling about 25% of his open-raising range and that a 3-bet would push those behind us out. I'll run some numbers to see if my gut was right and post my results later tonight. The problem with this line is if we are called we are then a huge dog.
my thoughts were along those same lines.with McEvoy's supuer nitty image, I thought a 3bet would have others (and him for that matter) reconcidering what they thought a "playable" hand might be, and get the folds I was looking for. I didn't think he would call a 3bet OOP either, meaning he would be folding, or 4betting which would then be an easy fold for us. Right or wrong, thats how I looked at our situation.. Too spewy?

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 06:39 PM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It not only would have helped against McEvoy.... it would have let us range Dave's hand better by what he did too (narrrow it a ton, because his flop bet could have been anything from a strong hand to a bluff).

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 09:40 PM
(#19)
Here are the numbers I came up with.

Assume McEvoy open-raises with 88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+ (8.3% of hands) and only 4 bets when we are crushed (QQ+,AKs,AKo or 2.6% of hands).

He will fold 68.7% and we win 3350 when he folds. EV = +2301
He (or someone) will 4 bet 31.3% and we lose 5950 when we fold. EV = -1864

Net EV = +437

So basically we are risking 6000 (20% of our stack) to win a paltry 400. It looks like Dave was right. 3 betting is high risk for small reward.

Old
Wed Aug 24, 2011, 01:31 AM
(#20)
(Head Trainer)
Good numbers Joe. McEvoy may not even be opening quite that wide either (QJ/KT I'm not totally sure about). And (where is Panicky??) you're turning AQs into a bluff with this line but I'm not a fan of that because it has good post flop playability in position AND McEvoy is going to be exploitable on certain board textures... you'll be able to win some pots without improving by floating him etc. I think it's a better line to keep his range as wide as possible and play a single raised pot in position with AQs vs McEvoy than 3b and turn it into a bluff that will only fold out most of his range you're crushing.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com