Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

pso skill league (why I stopped trying)

Old
pso skill league (why I stopped trying) - Tue Aug 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
first hand I played I figured atleast one person had a flush draw but was my shove bad?
PokerStars Game #66445283339: Tournament #422952902, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level I (20/40) - 2011/08/23 17:08:01 ET
Table '422952902 976' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: pokerstar671 (1460 in chips)
Seat 2: ma3afaka_nsk (1140 in chips)
Seat 3: guilhlobo (3538 in chips)
Seat 4: 4emodan777 (1400 in chips)
Seat 5: dacgringo (1360 in chips)
Seat 6: aracar (1620 in chips)
Seat 7: Ashat133 (2760 in chips)
Seat 8: dmytrokost (1280 in chips)
Seat 9: SancheZimbo (1580 in chips)
pokerstar671: posts small blind 20
ma3afaka_nsk: posts big blind 40
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to pokerstar671 [Tc Jc]
guilhlobo: calls 40
4emodan777: folds
dacgringo: folds
aracar: calls 40
Ashat133: folds
dmytrokost: folds
SancheZimbo: calls 40
pokerstar671: calls 20
ma3afaka_nsk: raises 80 to 120
guilhlobo: calls 80
aracar: calls 80
SancheZimbo: calls 80
pokerstar671: calls 80
*** FLOP *** [Kh Qh 9c]
pokerstar671: bets 1340 and is all-in
ma3afaka_nsk: calls 1020 and is all-in
guilhlobo: calls 1340
aracar: raises 160 to 1500 and is all-in
SancheZimbo: folds
guilhlobo: calls 160
*** TURN *** [Kh Qh 9c] [8d]
*** RIVER *** [Kh Qh 9c 8d] [Ah]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
guilhlobo: shows [4h 7h] (a flush, Ace high)
aracar: shows [6c Kc] (a pair of Kings)
guilhlobo collected 320 from side pot-2
pokerstar671: shows [Tc Jc] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
guilhlobo collected 960 from side pot-1
ma3afaka_nsk: shows [Ts 5c] (high card Ace)
guilhlobo collected 4680 from main pot
aracar finished the tournament in 6887th place
pokerstar671 finished the tournament in 6888th place
ma3afaka_nsk finished the tournament in 6889th place
imantuxXx is connected
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5960 Main pot 4680. Side pot-1 960. Side pot-2 320. | Rake 0
Board [Kh Qh 9c 8d Ah]
Seat 1: pokerstar671 (small blind) showed [Tc Jc] and lost with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 2: ma3afaka_nsk (big blind) showed [Ts 5c] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 3: guilhlobo showed [4h 7h] and won (5960) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 4: 4emodan777 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: dacgringo folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: aracar showed [6c Kc] and lost with a pair of Kings
Seat 7: Ashat133 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: dmytrokost folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: SancheZimbo (button) folded on the Flop

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 06:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd have bet the flop (most likely a pot sized bet), but not shoved yet. You don't want to shove early in these unless you're absolutely certain you have the nuts. All the calling stations and shove monkeys are still in and will call with anything. If anyone calls, they should have at least a set, flush draw or higher straight draw.

Don't shove early unless you're sure you'll be ahead in the end. It's not worth the risk, especially in a pso tourney.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 08:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Poker this is precisely why I hate Open League. I have already lost count of the number of times I have had to (correctly) let go of hands as strong as AA postflop (not preflop) just to avoid going broke. I absolutely hate it. I actually hate getting ANY premium hand early doors in Open League. The scoring system makes you "fear" busting out early and it can affect the way you play a hand drastically. The one and only time I flopped the nuts this month (I flopped the straight and had a straight flush draw for good measure) I played pot control and min bet all 3 streets for value. Only one problem, the river helped a bigger flush draw get there AND it also helped two open ended straight draws that were already drawing dead on the flop get there as well. Next thing I know instead of looking at picking up a pot of 600, I have ended up losing a total of 500 chips in a 2k pot on the river. I played the hand not to go broke. In a normal tourny I bet the flop bigger and then I make a really strong bet on the turn if its a brick.

So theres the problem...as a player you want to make hands. But making them leaves you vulnerable to going broke. Earlier tonight in Open League, I was short stacked (3BB left) and got AA on the button. I am praying someone does a big isolation bet. Then some guy decided his 63 suited was worthy of a 6.3k raise on blinds of 150/300. I call allin (obviously) and then the SB, who has AK, shoves himself for a further 5.7k. The guy with 63 suited is priced in to call. Flop 6. Turn 6. I am out because of someone making a truly ridiculous opening overraise with 6 high preflop that priced him in to any reraise. If he had merely made a standard 3 or 4xBB raise and then seen the AK shove, he is likely folding and I get my double up from the AK player. I will get some points from the tourny but that cost me a chance to gain more points. I really cannot wait to get out of Open League because it is full of absolutely terrible players who seem to be motivated by one thing....ruining the chances of players who make the effort to do well.

Last edited by mcgameboy; Tue Aug 23, 2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 08:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I'd have bet the flop (most likely a pot sized bet), but not shoved yet. You don't want to shove early in these unless you're absolutely certain you have the nuts. All the calling stations and shove monkeys are still in and will call with anything. If anyone calls, they should have at least a set, flush draw or higher straight draw.

Don't shove early unless you're sure you'll be ahead in the end. It's not worth the risk, especially in a pso tourney.
I don't think he can be faulted getting it in here, he shoved with the nuts and got called. I think the shove is good if you feel like opponents connected with the flop in some drawy way or a pair, as you are giving terrible odds to chase flushes / OESD etc. The only real defensive reason for betting something other than all your chips here would be because you want to get a set to call you down and make sure that he doesn't boat on turn / river. HOWEVER I do agree that a 70%+ pot bet would have been more intelligent for value purposes. It's just one of those cringe hands.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widzywidzy^^ View Post
I don't think he can be faulted getting it in here, he shoved with the nuts and got called. I think the shove is good if you feel like opponents connected with the flop in some drawy way or a pair, as you are giving terrible odds to chase flushes / OESD etc. The only real defensive reason for betting something other than all your chips here would be because you want to get a set to call you down and make sure that he doesn't boat on turn / river. HOWEVER I do agree that a 70%+ pot bet would have been more intelligent for value purposes. It's just one of those cringe hands.
It's a PSO tourney.... the bottom line in them is one thing... points, points, points. Due to that, getting your chips in early without the absolute nuts is definitely not what you want to do. The negative points for busting early do not even come remotely close to what you will gain by winning a hand like that.

If it's a std mtt, I'm shoving the flop 100% of the time..... but a PSO tourney is a totally different animal.

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 11:09 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widzywidzy^^ View Post
I Know flush's big odds, but i find i get alot, when i do usually I'm ITM for some reason (I think since i started playing Omaha u look(52 cards <>combinations) at flushes/straights as wining hand(s) as these seam to win alot, oh and fullhouses in this gene off thee great game)
PS I don't get much flushes in OL as i NITTING as much as can
mcgameboy try to set realistic goals if not doing already (I use Info feature too keep track of where i am, like say too self wont go into hand after X amount people been emanated 5-10-25-50-100-1000 Unless get perm hand!(as these seams not working for u look at straights/flushes too very range!?))
im just amutur but im learning more everyday

pokerstar671 Don't give up, I met u when u came 5th in old PSO (i was 4th if remember right!), how much have u learnt after this Time? I can tell u spend lot time working on your game(during working hours lol and after).
Are u making improvements in game since? if so Whats wrong!?
We all go through these feelings it seams!
ALL BEST LUCK /SKILL

Last edited by 0HighTimes0; Wed Aug 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com