Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

SNG Betting for value 2nd hand

Old
SNG Betting for value 2nd hand - Tue Aug 23, 2011, 05:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

hey this was the 2nd hand of the SNG so I didn't have a read on the villian.

my thought process - when he raises UTG to 80 I'm putting him on a strong range and when action folds around to me i call hoping to flop a set. the flop is just what i wanted to see. i like the ace but not necessarily the 2 hearts. when he bets over half the pot i put him on an ace and i'm hoping a strong ace. i re-raise in order to try and get some more information about the strength of his hand and to try to discourage him from chasing. when he calls i figure he's probably has AK, AQ, AJ. i think it's possible for him to have AA but I'm not too worried about that. the king on the turn is another card i like as i hope that he's made two pair. he surprises me with his check and i decide to fire out a value bet of 600 hoping to get called. he folds and i think i may have read his hand wrong.

do you think my bet sizing on the turn, and in general, is good?

Old
Tue Aug 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd have just called the flop bet, instead of raising it. By raising it, I think you might have missed some value. When they called it, they had a flush draw or an A. When they check the turn, I'd narrow that range to either a flush draw or a very weak A or 9/10. When you bet the turn, about the only hands that will call your bet after checking are 2 pair or AA.
Raising the flop, your opp will put you on 2 pair, AK or a set... and if they can't beat those 3 hands, they won't call your turn bet. If you just called the flop, then they may have called a bet on the turn if they checked it.... giving you a chance to get more chips from them there and possibly the river (granted it gives them a chance to draw).

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com