Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Hurricane Irene

Old
Hurricane Irene - Wed Aug 24, 2011, 09:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
I wanted to start this thread because I am not sure how many of us PSOers live in or around the east coast.

I posted a bit in POKERSTARS thread and wanted to not derail his thread, so if there are any PSOers who might be impacted, let us know and we will keep tracks on you.

I for one live in Wilmington NC and also live 2 blocks from the Cape Fear River. So for me not only the wind is a factor but so is the river since it is a tidal river. Let's hope this isn't bad for for most of you don't know that I just finished building our first home and just moved into it last month.

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 03:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2009
BronzeStar
Good luck to tou drywall I hope the river spares you home.

my family is in myrtle beach on vacation a the hotel have just
told them they are going to put them in another hotel until Irene
passes by.

Hope your family you and you family rides the out without any
harm....ALL THE BEST AND GOOD LUCK........mm.........

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
crazy weather here as well, hey peeps just wanted to stop by and sey whats up, been a while. i live in your areas as well dryman, charlotte..gl on the hurricane..

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 09:39 AM
(#4)
Took a little turn to the west last night. Now it looks like I gotta get out and pick up a few things I was just gonna let be. We started getting the first winds and a bit of rain late last night.
So that little jaunt westward might bring it a lot closer to you Dry..take care to prepare.

Good to see ya' Tariq!!!

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
(#5)
Yeah I got the weather channel on 3 tv's. They still more focused on the Outter Banks than where I am but tomorrow will have the best idea of what will happen. Cat 3 is rough

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Best of luck, I hope it passes you with minimal turmoil

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 02:34 PM
(#7)
UPDATE: Not looking good, I just checked the National Hurricane Center web site and where I live is bordering the RED and PURPLE areas of the storm. It also said it is supposed to strengthen in the next 24 hours. School is on half day tomorrow because we use schools as shelters. I will keep all updated as I know more.

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I'm chillen in Annapolis, Maryland. Last time we got hit by a bad hurricane our downtown area was completely flooded. My exact area should be ok, but definitely expecting to spend some quality time without power this weekend. I have to work on Saturday, should be interesting.

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 05:32 PM
(#9)
Lucky here in south Fla, breezy and rainy but thats it. Surf blown out this am but should be good 2morrow. This is a big nasty so I ask all my poker friends living on the north east coast to take this seriously and dont forget the first rule of buying hurricane supplies.....vodka as cheap as water these days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3aT_aEQrmQ

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 05:34 PM
(#10)
Lot of rain here so far. (Cocoa, FL)
I'm sure snookman has had a LOT more.

Dry, after last update, I would very strongly encourage you make all preparations for that flooding and anything else you can protect against. The eye now is predicted closer to Moorehead City than the Outer Banks, but the surge is definitely going to affect you hard.

Thoughts and prayers go out.

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 06:50 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Drywall, we are just as screwed here in Jersey. Sending you a PM about a way to keep in contact with each other so when it's in our area one of us can post how the other is doing.

Tits

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 07:18 PM
(#12)
I have the weather channel on and keeping a firm eye on what it's going to do. If it shifts slightly more to the west then our local weather forecasters are saying we better get prepared for some hurricane force winds.
I don't want to leave my home but at the same time I don't want to end up on the Spike tv show where the coast guard is rescuing me from the roof of my house because it flooded and I decided to stay.

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 07:18 PM
(#13)
hopefully this thing loses some juice by the time you get up here. went to wally world to pick up some medicine for my little 1 and a few things and it was freakin packed! best of luck to anybody who might be impacted. thank god the liquor cabinet is jam packed, so I'll be just fine.. thoughts are with you drywall...gl man

Old
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 09:11 AM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
bump

Old
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 10:03 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Watched local news last night, said there was a small possibility Irene goes west right up into the Chesapeake bay.... that would really suck! If that happens my area is taking a direct hit. Go east Irene!!!

Old
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
(#16)
LOL Since we are in a state of emergency all our are Liquor stores have been officially CLOSED! It's cloudy and starting to get a little windy now.

Old
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 11:21 AM
(#17)
Winds just down to 105.
Best o' luck Tar Heel state.

Old
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 01:08 PM
(#18)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywallman3 View Post
I have the weather channel on and keeping a firm eye on what it's going to do. If it shifts slightly more to the west then our local weather forecasters are saying we better get prepared for some hurricane force winds.
I don't want to leave my home but at the same time I don't want to end up on the Spike tv show where the coast guard is rescuing me from the roof of my house because it flooded and I decided to stay.

Dry you need to GTFO. Whatever is going to happen property wise is what's going to happen,ain't nothing you can do to effect that outcome. Your ass is another thing and anyone thinking that this storm being "downgraded" to a Category 2 means much of anything is nuts. Area wise this is a HUGE storm so the areas that get hit are going to be getting hit for a 16-20 hour duration,maybe more. And a storm this size is likely to have a big storm surge associated with it. Haul ass bud.

Here in Maryland the storm this keeps getting compared to is Isabel from 2003. I hope it's not that bad. Thousands,tens of thousands,of homeowners had no power for 7-10 days afterwards (6 days for me...). Current tracking models show that central Maryland should escape the worst of the storm but iy doesn't take much of a shift to change that. I'm old enough to remember Agnes in 1972 and the 12-15 inches of rain that was dumped on central Maryland and Pennsylvania by that storm. Major flooding. But for us it looks like the coast and Eastern Shore are what's going to get drilled. My main concern is always the winds as I have a bunch of big ass trees around my house.

Because of it's size and track this looks like a "50-year" storm. If you're in it's direct path,don't be a donk. Leave. Now.

Good luck to all.

Old
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
(#19)
No power will be the MAJOR problem. Have at least a3 days worth of water and food. Buy dry ice if you can find it. Fill your tub because water will be messed up for days after. Once storm hits may be 24 hours b4 it lets up or more. Good luck.

Old
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 01:20 PM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
YEP I THINK I'LL STICK WITH THE QUAKES

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com