Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

2 questions about MTT

Old
2 questions about MTT - Thu Aug 25, 2011, 10:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Hey all,

I have two quick questions, first, does anyone have any suggestions for books on MTT strategy? I used to play them often on PS and a couple of live ones and did alright, but haven't been able to play them in a long time and I'm looking for a book on advanced tips/strategy since I'm making a trip to Vegas and would like to play a couple while I'm out there

And second, I was watching a replay of one of the recent WSOP Main Events and someone got penalized for not betting his nut flush at the end. They said that because he was the last to bet he was supposed to bet, even if he didn't think the other person wouldn't call. Is this the case for any tournament or just at the WSOP? I had never heard of that up until now

Thanks!

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 10:39 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Q1: The best books out imo (not for beginners really, but sounds like you're not) are Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time Volumes 1 & 2 by Eric Lynch, Jon Van Fleet, and Jon Turner.

Q2: Yes, that could likely draw you a penalty from any TD. This is the case for any tournament, it always has been, you just never see it happen (almost never obv lol). Think about it, why would you not bet the stone cold nuts on the river? Out of position you might check hoping your opponent will bet, but if you are last to act the only reasons one might not bet the nuts when checked to are they misread their hand, or they are softplaying their opponent... and softplay is against the rules and thus warrants a penalty.

Hope this helps, GL in Vegas!

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
kill phil, and kill everyone cant remember the author

Old
Thu Aug 25, 2011, 03:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Q2: Yes, that could likely draw you a penalty from any TD. This is the case for any tournament, it always has been, you just never see it happen (almost never obv lol). Think about it, why would you not bet the stone cold nuts on the river?

I did this a couple of years ago. You could have heard a pin drop. Fortunately I didn't receive a penalty, but the embarrassment was punishment enough.

So although you didn't ask the question, a third tip for you. Learn to say no to the free drinks

Old
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Hey, thanks for the book suggestions! I'll try and get a copy of each of those soon.
And thanks for the good luck wishes Langolier. Hopefully this trip goes as well as my first one did. I played in 2 MTTs last time, first one I played very well but got a bit too confident as I approached the final table and made a couple of bad plays which led to me busting out. 2nd one I ended up finishing 2nd out of a field of 45, and I lost the land hand on the river, lol, although to be honest I felt like I had a bit of luck on my side that tournament.

As for saying no to free drinks Darkman, I usually have one at the beginning because it helps me calm down a bit because I am naturally a very nervous person so a bit of alcohol calms me down. I make sure I only have 1 or 2 drinks depending on how long I am at the table, I do know my limit, lol

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com