Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Language at the tables

Old
Language at the tables - Sat Aug 27, 2011, 05:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
This is ridiculous. Players speak in whatever language they like, then moan when I tell them to speak English only. One tonight told me it was none of my business.

How about some points penalties for instances of foreign being written at the tables?

5 points per offence ought to sort it out.

Old
Sat Aug 27, 2011, 05:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Search the forum and you'll find the answer
HINT: chat moderators

Old
Sat Aug 27, 2011, 07:43 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Yes, I do that. Then 5 minutes later it starts again. I've called mods more this month than ever before combined.

Old
Sat Aug 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
(#4)
Do you call when there's at least 5 lines and each containing at least 5 words and from the same player?
Because they won't do anything below those conditions
You also need to call every time
They might not always show up because they're working only at 25%, since most American mods have left (this means about 4-5 mods per hour for about 25,000 tables

All I can say is keep on calling mods, that's what I do

Old
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 01:35 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
So it's a 4x4+1. A kinda enhanced version of your normal off roader. That should be easy to remember

Old
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 08:15 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
lol D.

Old
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 09:25 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentire View Post
This is ridiculous. Players speak in whatever language they like, then moan when I tell them to speak English only. One tonight told me it was none of my business.

How about some points penalties for instances of foreign being written at the tables?

Maybe you should become a mod yourself, you could deal out punishment all day.

Old
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 01:26 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2011
rwtyujkuhtrgewfrtyuioiytr

Last edited by Weee--Waise; Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 10:24 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
with the US market gone, probably 75% of their business comes from countries where English is not a first language. (Can, UK, Aus, NZ being obvious exceptions)

And I would guess there is a big percentage who dont speak any or very little English, the website/lobby are in multiple languages now so it is easy to navigate.

There isnt much stars can do without alienating a large number of players. I expect them to change their policy eventually.

Old
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 12:00 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentire View Post

your right bro this is a great post rules are bto be followed by every player

Old
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 06:50 AM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2010

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:24 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh1967 View Post
your right bro this is a great post rules are bto be followed by every player
Only in America!

Like the poster above you stated, it's all nice having rules but what with the people that do not speak english? They can't even read the rules let alone chat in english.

Old
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:14 AM
(#13)
Since: Feb 2011
(I believe) the rules are in whatever language a person chooses the languge to be when they open an account (or select that option at a future time via options tab) so if they leave it in english on their end, yet can't read english, that's on them. And imo the whole 5 lines of chat b4 anything at all is done is just so chat mods are't inundated with work. Just my quick .02

Last edited by mtnestegg; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM..

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 11:27 AM
(#14)
English is a world wide spoken language and every 1 learns it at school no matter where they r from, so no excuses if u dont know the rules there is google translate, follow the rules and dont type at all if u dont know english is what i say. Clearly states english only chat and no matter USA players r out, 90 % of the rest of the world at pokerstars knows english, its just the ignorant ones that dont want to type in english that cause the problem. GL at the tables

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOingDonks View Post
English is a world wide spoken language and every 1 learns it at school no matter where they r from, so no excuses if u dont know the rules there is google translate, follow the rules and dont type at all if u dont know english is what i say. Clearly states english only chat and no matter USA players r out, 90 % of the rest of the world at pokerstars knows english, its just the ignorant ones that dont want to type in english that cause the problem. GL at the tables
That is pretty weird, because when I was in school I never had any english.

Old
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 12:12 AM
(#16)
Since: Apr 2011
* "Historically, English originated from the fusion of languages and dialects, now collectively termed Old English, which were brought to the eastern coast of Great Britain by Germanic (Anglo-Saxon) settlers by the 5th century – with the word English being derived from the name of the Angles"

Well English Is actually a mixture of language's, Old English/Germanic (Anglo-Saxon)/Latin/Old Norse language(viking)/Norman-French (there is 40,000 + words of French in origin in English Language)
What about Welsh/Scottish/Irish I have trouble understanding these languages at times LOL
and Australia speak diff too, Dance/Chance sounds same what about SIX/SEX sounds same to Kiwis ( this reminds me when i first meet a Aussy Lady we where in pub and she asked If I wanted SIX ($ to buy some jugs beer, i didn't take her money as im gentleman), But I thought she said SEX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

Last edited by 0HighTimes0; Wed Aug 31, 2011 at 12:16 AM..

Old
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 04:49 AM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblepie View Post
That is pretty weird, because when I was in school I never had any english.
Well where u come from, a village with population of 10 and a barn for a class room all u did have is cow language, so thats why u find it weird.

Old
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 04:51 AM
(#18)
[QUOTE=0HighTimes0;299047]* "Historically, English originated from the fusion of languages and dialects, now collectively termed Old English, which were brought to the eastern coast of Great Britain by Germanic (Anglo-Saxon) settlers by the 5th century – with the word English being derived from the name of the Angles"

Well English Is actually a mixture of language's, Old English/Germanic (Anglo-Saxon)/Latin/Old Norse language(viking)/Norman-French (there is 40,000 + words of French in origin in English Language)
What about Welsh/Scottish/Irish I have trouble understanding these languages at times LOL
and Australia speak diff too, Dance/Chance sounds same what about SIX/SEX sounds same to Kiwis ( this reminds me when i first meet a Aussy Lady we where in pub and she asked If I wanted SIX ($ to buy some jugs beer, i didn't take her money as im gentleman), But I thought she said SEX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language[/QU

Last edited by KOingDonks; Wed Aug 31, 2011 at 04:54 AM..

Old
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:17 AM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOingDonks View Post
Well where u come from, a village with population of 10 and a barn for a class room all u did have is cow language, so thats why u find it weird.
Exactly! I do speak very good cow.

Anyway, the truth is somewhat different, I live in that part of Belgium, where the first language you learn in school is Dutch and the second language is French, mandatory..

And that is because those French speaking people overhere think, like you, that their language is the most important in the world and that everybody speaks it.

And when you tell them different, they get angry.

Old
Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
(#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblepie View Post
Exactly! I do speak very good cow.

Anyway, the truth is somewhat different, I live in that part of Belgium, where the first language you learn in school is Dutch and the second language is French, mandatory..

And that is because those French speaking people overhere think, like you, that their language is the most important in the world and that everybody speaks it.

And when you tell them different, they get angry.
Sorry to tell u this pie, im Australian and my language is the most important in the world, i dont think that i KNOW lol

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com