Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

2 pair on the flop

Old
2 pair on the flop - Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
I just wanted to know what your thoughts were about this hand , it might be difficult for you to analyse without a specific read on my opponent . However the first thought I had was "what are the chances of my opponent holding AK" .

I called and began to question my play . Your reply will be appreciated .

Last edited by JARGON1977; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 11:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Baluga theorem. When your opponent raises on the turn, seriously reconsider the strength of your 1 pair hand. In this case you have bottom 2, but it's essentially the same as top pair in hand strength in that in can't beat what the villain is repping.

You ask what are the chances? Wtih this action sequence, the chances are about 99% that the villain holds AA, KK, or AK, with AK being the most likeliy. Unless you have reads to the contrary on the villain, your hand is never good here when he check-raise bombs the turn.

Old
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 01:04 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Baluga theorem. When your opponent raises on the turn, seriously reconsider the strength of your 1 pair hand. In this case you have bottom 2, but it's essentially the same as top pair in hand strength in that in can't beat what the villain is repping.

You ask what are the chances? Wtih this action sequence, the chances are about 99% that the villain holds AA, KK, or AK, with AK being the most likeliy. Unless you have reads to the contrary on the villain, your hand is never good here when he check-raise bombs the turn.
^^ +1 this.

bottom 2 is usually the "best" hand on a given flop.

bottom 2 is going to see much of its profit when it gets called by TOP PAIR type hands (I say this because those hands will tend to call larger bets, and will get more value in for you).

bottom 2 then is extremely vulnerable to being drawn out on, as top pairs might hit kickers, or the off card on the flop might pair.

(Note: extremely vulnerable in comparison to top/top or top/bottom type 2 pair hands)

That means you are in much of the same spot as if you'd been playing a single paired hand if the Villain is willing to C/R the turn.

Stop. Re-Assess.

Then decide.

Last edited by JDean; Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 03:08 AM..

Old
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree. Like preflop and flop... but when the K hits the turn, gotta reconsider. Your opp definitely has an A and two pair is a reasonable consideration.. and if they have 2 pair, yours is the lower 2 pair.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com