Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Who took a dive ?

Old
Question
Who took a dive ? - Tue Aug 30, 2011, 06:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
It may help PSO staff to tweak the Prem league if they knew why some people "took a dive" to ensure they ended up back in the Open league. I admit I thought about it because i am swimming against the tide here but I decided to continue thrashing and it looks like I will still be in the Prem next month. If the same reason for taking a dive comes up then maybe that can be addressed. There are too many of the good regular players missing from the top 800, It cant all be bad luck some have purposely taken a dive. Any thoughts ? Good Luck in the closing stages.

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 07:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Your are assuming that being good in the open league means you should be good at the premier league. This is far from being a valid assumption.

To be good at the open league, you must have patience to play only AA or KK before the money, the will power to ignore everyone who cusses at you because you delay, delay, delay each and every hand and the ability to milk every last point out of your stack. (Been there, done that.)

To succeed in the premier league in August, you need to have a good fast tournament strategy, and you need some luck.

We'll see whether the same skill set is sufficient going forward.

I wouldn't put too much store in August rankings, in a field this small chance plays a large part over a short period of time.

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 07:57 AM
(#3)
[QUOTE=CorkiePoker;298914]Your are assuming that being good in the open league means you should be good at the premier league. This is far from being a valid assumption.

Where did I say or assume that ? What I am looking for is a common reason as to why some people may have thrown the towel in. I know not just from PSO but in other tournys,cash and SnG's that some of the low rank players are MUCH better than the league position suggests.

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 08:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Corkie is right. In the first few days of the Premier League a couple of things became obvious.

1. The winning tactic of folding and clocking whilst having no life away from the screen would yield a steady stream of small negatives.

2. Some of the players who preferred to play the no skill league before got a strop on and dived to get back to the Open League (anyone who would want to play one of those is odd).

Personally, I don't think PSO should bend it's back to make sure the previous superstars of time-wasting find it easy to get back to the peace and quiet of the PL.

Gatehouse, you are quite right, these players do have skills above the performances they have put in. They have chosen to not adapt. Their loss.

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 08:48 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentire View Post
Corkie is right. In the first few days of the Premier League a couple of things became obvious.

1. The winning tactic of folding and clocking whilst having no life away from the screen would yield a steady stream of small negatives.

2. Some of the players who preferred to play the no skill league before got a strop on and dived to get back to the Open League (anyone who would want to play one of those is odd).

Personally, I don't think PSO should bend it's back to make sure the previous superstars of time-wasting find it easy to get back to the peace and quiet of the PL.

Gatehouse, you are quite right, these players do have skills above the performances they have put in. They have chosen to not adapt. Their loss.
No. Our gain actually. In my case a four figure gain and I know I'm not the only one.

There was no strop either. Merely an admission that the current set up was -EV for a lot of us and our time would be better spent elsewhere. Identifying where the easy money is and taking advantage of it is what makes a winner, not continuing with a game that's unlikely to bring you much reward.

Not that I'll be in the Premier League in September, but the changes will make for a better quality game next month. However, the key issue of commitment v benefit has if anything got worse. So until the next review I'll continue to be a semi interested spectator.

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 10:26 AM
(#6)
Guys there is no way my post is intended to stir things up, i was just wanting to know if there was a common thread that runs through the shall we say apathy towards the Prem, and if there was a common thread perhaps PSO could maybe look at it. I think the Anti's start too soon and that combined with the quick rising blinds force me to widen my range of starting hands and I'm not sure if that improves my game.I can see all points of view as to the reward V commitment and IMO I dont really think there is a right or wrong its just what suits each player.So think of this as a type of survey as to what people may consider valid reasons for not wanting to take part in thr Prem. As always good luck in whatever league you choose guys.

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 10:51 AM
(#7)
Since: May 2011
Hey Gate,

Sometimes it is very difficult to have people actually answer the question you actually asked. I understood your query without issue. Just my opinion....Oh crap, I never actually answered your question...

Dale

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 11:24 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale442 View Post
Hey Gate,

Sometimes it is very difficult to have people actually answer the question you actually asked. I understood your query without issue. Just my opinion....Oh crap, I never actually answered your question...

Dale
lol. I see you have hit form sir and galloping off into the distance, dont think I can catch you now. If you pm your e-mail I will send your prize. Good luck on the Top 100,you can do it.

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 11:59 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatehouse999 View Post
lol. I see you have hit form sir and galloping off into the distance, dont think I can catch you now. If you pm your e-mail I will send your prize. Good luck on the Top 100,you can do it.
LOL, thanks Gate.

Better send two...and if you decide to go for a swim we can tip one each.

Ah hell, I'll spring for the second one.

Dale

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 12:33 PM
(#10)
Since: Apr 2010
[QUOTE=Darkman61;298923 Merely an admission that the current set up was -EV for a lot of us and our time would be better spent elsewhere. Identifying where the easy money is and taking advantage of it is what makes a winner, not continuing with a game that's unlikely to bring you much reward.[/QUOTE]

Got to totally agree with you D/man
Found myself struggling with the Prem set-up and languishing in 1390 ish on Saturday morning.
Had resigned myself to playing in the donk-a-thon next month.
After reading what changes had been made to the Prem , I decided to to up my game and try and stay in the Prem for September , even if I don't get a payout.
At present I am sitting in 786th after a couple of good scores ,so fingers crossed I stay in the Prem.
If not see you at the tables in the Open league

The hold'em , fold'em league is probably an easier payout for a player of your calibre.
There is gonna be a lot of quality players joining you there, who , imo are far better players than me
All the best for September Al , hope to see you up there with the best

Good luck to all in September , whatever league you are in

Last edited by spike8998; Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 01:26 PM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2011
My main point is, in a fast tournament, chance plays a large part, particularly when folks are disincented from making plays early. This should improve next month. With only 3 games a day, running bad is a common cause of going out early.

With no way to grind and tighten up, this tournament structure rewards lucky plays. You only need get unlucky twice to find yourself out early. Not because you went all in, but because you couldn't catch the cards you need to stay in the game.

People like to say that cards don't matter. In theory that's true (especially if everyone has 500 BB), but it certainly isn't true at this level. This may be premium (lol) but we still have folks calling allin with KJo betting 5 * BB with Q9s and shoving every pair they get.

Playing this month has been a walk through a minefield.

Last edited by CorkiePoker; Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
(#12)
Quote:

A PM has been sent with contact info.

Dale

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 09:20 PM
(#13)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:

Where did I say or assume that ? What I am looking for is a common reason as to why some people may have thrown the towel in. I know not just from PSO but in other tournys,cash and SnG's that some of the low rank players are MUCH better than the league position suggests.
Well i have seen lot of post's saying the Time's and number games(3, Country Timezones, work commitments etc), have effected there ability to play, may be this is the reason this up coming month PSO has made it 4 games per day and changed time format!

I havn't played in PSL but i think it be my preferred league, but I made Rule to my self id not spend Money( to get 20VPPs + ) intill i get to $50 in My Bankroll ( I could make $00.20 + a night playing NZ giveway & AUS&NZ league but for month not been on, so im going slower than thought i would, got 14 WR2 Tic's though, but I keep missing these tournaments as they early Mornings NZ time), so thats my reason Im not in PSL yet
ALL THEE BEST

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com