Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Flopped trips in BB

Old
Flopped trips in BB - Sun Sep 04, 2011, 10:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Hello ,

Another hand for you to analyse for me , much help you have already offered and I feel I'm playing better this month already . Now tell me your thoughts of this play , I feel it was played well by myself ( I was fairly new to the table ) .

"]

I thought KK's & AA's were a distinct possibilty at that point however , I also thought the opponent may do the same with AK . The 3:1 price was one I felt compelled to call .

Your feedback will be appreciated .

Old
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 02:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
The guy open raises standard 3BB, you get 1.8:1 on your money. I think is a bad call to put your money in. If I were on BB, things will change completely, and a call to defend your blind will be acceptable in my opinion. Out of position, many times i will 3-bet this kind of hands and see what happens. In order for this hand to be profitable, you have to get a lot of money when you hit the flop hard and loose little when you don't, + sometimes you will be totally dominated if you a get flush draw and you put all your money on the flop.

I think this hand can be profitable on following situations:

- OR CO++
- 3-betting vs a opponent with a poor range.

Jdel54

Old
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 02:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
If you felt AA/KK were "distinct possibilities", then you palyed the hand quite well...

Pre Flop:

It was a standard raise at a cash table.

Super deep money, so as long as you are not getitng yourself "married" to any single pair hit, and as long as your opponent is not going to C-Bet a very large percentage of the pot (2/3rds+) most of the time, There is decent spec value in 89s.

Flop:

You gotta be thinking you hit "gin".

As it may be un-likely he has played 97/57, there are not real draw threats against you, so a check is not bad.

When Villain launches 10c into the 14c pot, you gotta think he is either on an over pair (bigger than 6's), or big un-paired cards looking for a take down. There is no sense in dis-abusing him of any notion that a single pair spike might be good at this point, so I like the check/call.

Turn:

The board throws a K out there, and the K is a second h. If the villain has just big cards, that could well be in his range, and if he hasn't hit the K, no sense in givin him a possible free river in case he has hearts now. I really like your bet sizing (just under half pot), as it can look like it is YOU who has just picked up hearts, or that you've spiked the K without a Kicker you felt confident enough of to raise pre. If the villain held AK/KQ he may well flat that "donk bet" by you, thinking that will encourage you to fire again on the river...that's "good" for him if he reads you wrong, because he can then raise.

A very SUBTLE benefit of your lead is tha if the Villain is an extremely "tight" player, your donk bet also starts to give you a lot of info which might save you money later.
The fact he flats, after raising such a large portion of the pot does not IMMEDIATELY nor clearly point to him having KK (I'd definately say AK/KQ is more likely by far), but look what happens later...

River:

I gotta say, I absolutely LOVE you tiny lead for 20c (into a 66c pot) on the river!

If the villain has KQ, your 20c looks weak; he may either try bluffing you off, or may make a "crying call" if he thinks you could have the A or 8.
If the villain has AK, then he is almost certainly not going to think you hold an 8 now, so he may well raise.
If the Villain does have AA/KK/66, and raises, you;ve kept the pot small enough you can make the crying call (as long as he doesn't go nut-so bonkers on his bet sizing).

If you truly felt AA/KK was a "distinct" possibility, then I have a feeling you were agaisnt quite the nit. I think your bet sizing decision struck an excellant balance between getting value, and preventing a large stack off by you as a direct result of the "threat awareness" an A and a K brings versus the nitty types. I say this because you did NOT fore-go the chance to extract value from the most likely hand (AK) in your caution, but you did make it possible for you to lose LESS than you could have.

I think you could have been EASILY justified in losing more here (by leading more like half pot on the river, and then calling a larger size raise), yet you did not...that's a great job.

Very well played hand.

Old
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 02:17 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdel54 View Post
The guy open raises standard 3BB, you get 1.8:1 on your money. I think is a bad call to put your money in. If I were on BB, things will change completely, and a call to defend your blind will be acceptable in my opinion. Out of position, many times i will 3-bet this kind of hands and see what happens. In order for this hand to be profitable, you have to get a lot of money when you hit the flop hard and loose little when you don't, + sometimes you will be totally dominated if you a get flush draw and you put all your money on the flop.

I think this hand can be profitable on following situations:

- OR CO++
- 3-betting vs a opponent with a poor range.

Jdel54
Jdel54:

I would normally agree with you in that 89s is a re-raise hand from the blinds, and not a calling hand. There is simply too little benefit in trying to paly a draw oop in most cases.

In THIS case though, you have extremely deep money (roughly 150BB effective), so speculating even oop can be good.

I do agree with you in that 3betting a weak range is BETTER than flatting (if the villain can fold his weak raise), even here, but the depth of money does give more implied odds potential versus a tight range, so long as the Villain who opened does not bet large percetages of the pot on Continuation very often.

In an MTT/SNG, I'd agree with you 100% though...

Last edited by JDean; Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 11:47 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com