Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

US Players and Skill Leagues

Old
US Players and Skill Leagues - Sun Sep 04, 2011, 07:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
WhiteStar
While I have not yet found it explicitly stated I am assuming from the Standings that players in the US are excluded from the skill leagues because of the current idiocy from Washington. Is there some way to establish a league that does not involve money that could allow US players to have a similar experience?

Also, since we are not paying money to play, isn't playing in the skill leagues something other than gambling? So frustrating. I had a nanny growing up and she was far better than the nannies in D. C. She actually taught me how to play poker

Old
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 07:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
US players can't participate in anything that has 'real money' rewards, such as the skill leagues. Also, the skill leagues are on the real money .com version of Pokerstars, which US players can't even access anymore. US players only have access to the .net playmoney software verison. Maybe the .net version is running some play money leagues? I wouldn't know, but playing on .net is your only option.... unless you want to relocate outside the US(lol), establish a residency and a bank account based in that country of residency - which should allow you to regain access to the 'real money' .com pokerstars.

That's my understanding anyways, don't take it as 100% fact.

Old
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 08:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
US players can't participate in anything that has 'real money' rewards, such as the skill leagues. Also, the skill leagues are on the real money .com version of Pokerstars, which US players can't even access anymore. US players only have access to the .net playmoney software verison. Maybe the .net version is running some play money leagues? I wouldn't know, but playing on .net is your only option.... unless you want to relocate outside the US(lol), establish a residency and a bank account based in that country of residency - which should allow you to regain access to the 'real money' .com pokerstars.

That's my understanding anyways, don't take it as 100% fact.

I PLAY ON THE .COM EVERY DAY
AS ARE A LOT OF U.S. PLAYERS

Old
Mon Sep 05, 2011, 09:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
The dot-com version is also working for me. It will still block my access to any cash games if I try signing up for them. At least it did prior to me requesting my money, which was just as August began. Met several people that said a recent software upgrade shunted the Americans to the dot-net version. If that's true, it didn't work for me.

I should add that the school claims the software cannot track and tally unless it is in a cash environment. It's the reason why the freerolls have a $10 cash prize.

Last edited by Cairn Destop; Mon Sep 05, 2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old
Lightbulb
Mon Oct 03, 2011, 01:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi,

A player in the United States who has a copy of the PokerStars.COM software is only able to play in our play money games with other players around the world (including from the US). Players in the United States are not able to play in our real money games, regardless of what versions of software they might have.

Sincerely,

Michael J
PokerStars Game Security Team

Old
Mon Oct 03, 2011, 02:02 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostMichaeJO View Post
Hi,

A player in the United States who has a copy of the PokerStars.COM software is only able to play in our play money games with other players around the world (including from the US). Players in the United States are not able to play in our real money games, regardless of what versions of software they might have.

Sincerely,

Michael J
Welcome

If you're a permanent fixture I can see you getting an awful lot of "pm's"

Old
Mon Oct 03, 2011, 03:07 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostMichaeJO View Post
Hi,

Sincerely,

Michael J

SO WHAT BROUGHT THAT ON ???

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 12:57 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
If the .com version of the PS client blocks American players from the real money games, then why does the (severely crippled) .net version exist?
As an American player I resent being relegated to a place where I cant participate fully in the POS Leagues, and am unable to even rail the real money games.

The internet has enabled a closer world community than ever before in the history of our species, yet we are to be pulled apart by petty governments pointless bureaucracies?

Are we headed to a place where each country has its own poker sites... legal only for citizens within that specific country? ... and where is the progress in that? What does that say about a greater global community except that it's just a convenient tag to use when NATO decides to bomb something?

Its a travesty that many of the best players in the world are US citizens and are forced to leave the United States in order to participate (on-line)in the game they love.

Yes, a bit of a "whine" here but I am saying that its time we do all we can to come together on this issue rather than allowing this to become a wall between us.

PS allowing us to participate fully in the POS leagues and rail the real money games would go a long way toward that end. I hope they realize that we as American poker players do not support what our government has done. If I had my way, every one responsible for the gutting of poker would be dismissed immediately, and would be held personally responsible for the safety of any player funds that they participated in (stealing) seizing.

Then again... that's just me.

Thanks for listening.

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 02:48 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
well glad you got that out
feel better ?
welcome to the forum

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 03:30 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
well glad you got that out
feel better ?
welcome to the forum

I do feel a little better, thanks.

...enjoying the WSOP Main Final right now.

Thanks for the welcome.

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 04:19 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
Dennis you can explain it better than I can so why don't you send Push a PM about...well you know?

And Push welcome to the Forum and thanks for giving me my LOL of the day when you referred to the PSO leagues as the POS leagues.

Anyone who ever actually played or plays in them has to enjoy that little Freudian slip.

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
(#12)
Deleted user
Another one and gone.

Wonder how we can catch these people and keep them interested in the forum.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com