Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

any advice on if i played this wrong?

Old
Question
any advice on if i played this wrong? - Mon Sep 05, 2011, 12:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
SilverStar
was playing in the $1.10 500 GTD 6 max game the other night and i was chip leader and in top 4 for about 4 hours and then this hand came up.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?6198791

afterwards the guy insulted me and called me names.I never even met or spoke to the guy once and he did this to me. sometimes i wonder why i bother.

Old
Mon Sep 05, 2011, 01:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
SilverStar
evaluate please

Old
Mon Sep 05, 2011, 08:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2011
the info says it was a 9max game not 6max O_O. anyways, i'd usually limp in with K10 suited too however since you were chip leader on your table, a -2.5x or possibly 3x considering the table dynamic would be suffice to get rid of 64 suited on the button. Your mistake though was calling the bet by stafford350 on flop with a gutshot stright draw. the pot was 19,500 and stafford350 bets 15,600 which is relatively large. pot odds was 2.25:1, correct odds to chase 5:1. you have to assume/disregard a king wont help your hand because he can limp with hands like J9, K9, KJo or Q10 on the button.

So my opinion is that you made a "bad" call on the flop due to bad odds and also didn't make a pf raise which would allow you to semi bluff on flop and he might fold bottom pair (ie if he would call pf). Theres other ways you could of taken it down on the flop but yeah like donk lead or check raise.

Old
Either Raise or Fold PF - Mon Sep 05, 2011, 11:58 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
You ended up getting bad beat by a DONKEY, but why get involved in the 1st place?

We aren't given any reads on the players, so I'll assume we were just moved to the table, or we haven't played enough hands with these players. If you normally play your cards and not your opponents - that is your 1st mistake.

You're Open/Limping the betting from MP which prices more players into the pot, plus the SB has a 10bb 'shoving' stack. Either raise 2.5X or fold. If you raise your PLAN is to fold to a 3bet or if 'Heads-Up' facing a SB 'shove', CALL (you're priced in, getting 2 to 1 odds).

As it happens you Open/Limp and get a 4 way pot. The FLOP gives you a gut-shot draw with an over card and a back door flush (2nd nuts). You're 3rd to act and it's checked to you - I like the fact that you want to pot control and take a free card. But the BTN gets aggressive and bets 3/4 pot. Now it's folded to you and you're out of position with no reads on your opponent. You're getting 2.25 to 1 odds, what's your PLAN? There are 15 cards that would make your hand more playable, but at what risks? The only card that makes you comfortable is a Q (10 to 1 shot).

You called and got the 'nuts'. I like your check to the aggressor. He now bets 4K into a 50K pot. It could only mean a weak hand, why else would he let you stay in the pot for great odds on such a draw heavy board. I like your small reraise, there are a lot of hands that call you, even though he may be a bit suspicious of your bet sizing. He 'jams' it all-in on a Semi-Bluff, which you happily call with the 'nuts'.

You got your money in very 'good', all you could ask for. He has a 20% chance of hitting his flush and does, it happens. You need to make a 'note' on this player and let him fill your bucket with chips in the future.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com