Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

What is poker to YOU?

Old
Default
What is poker to YOU? - Tue Sep 06, 2011, 08:32 PM
(#1)
the_eagle23's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 231
My question for you all is "What is Poker To You?" and by that i mean, is it your hobby? a way to make a few extra bucks? Is it your job? a way to kill time? or just plain having fun? whatever it may be please post it!
 
Old
Default
Tue Sep 06, 2011, 08:47 PM
(#2)
dale442's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 553
An effin pain in the ass.

Dale
 
Old
Default
Tue Sep 06, 2011, 09:32 PM
(#3)
0HighTimes0's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 840
First it was for having fun, Now make a few extra bucks & too have fun
(Dream/Goal to eventually go Pro i hope, lol)

Last edited by 0HighTimes0; Tue Sep 06, 2011 at 10:02 PM..
 
Old
Default
Tue Sep 06, 2011, 09:52 PM
(#4)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eagle23 View Post
My question for you all is "What is Poker To You?" and by that i mean, is it your hobby? a way to make a few extra bucks? Is it your job? a way to kill time? or just plain having fun? whatever it may be please post it!

Depends on the type of poker I'm playing,

PLO / Nlhe - Gives me heartburn but make a few bucks n kill time

Strip Poker - A damn good time
 
Old
Default
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 07:13 AM
(#5)
the_eagle23's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
Depends on the type of poker I'm playing,

PLO / Nlhe - Gives me heartburn but make a few bucks n kill time

Strip Poker - A damn good time
Haha, well said Sens
 
Old
Default
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 07:44 AM
(#6)
Crumblepie's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
I remember from way back when I was a young guy that even just the word poker gave me a buzz. We are talking like thirtyfive years ago, in them days poker existed only in form of 5 card draw and 5 card stud, where I lived anyway. I'd never heard about outs and stuff, we played in the backroom of shady bars, as poker was percieved as evil, the way of the devil.

Depending on where you played you had to tell the other players 2 hours upfront before you could stop, and I am telling you, if you won, you better had a gun to show the other players or you wouldnt even leave the place with your winnings in your pocket.

I remember this guy, I was seeing this girl, and he was doing the same thing with her mum, he probably felt sorry for me because he gave me my first 5 card draw lesson, he said, when you get your cards and there is not a pair in your hand already, fold them.

I remember the frustration, you hit a set of aces and the other guy asks for 3 cards, so I shoved when he bet only to be crushed by his straight. Like I said, I did have a clue about outs, and there was no internet, hell, there werent even any computers exept at NASA, and they were as big as a house, but still, intinctively I knew that making a straight while asking for 3 cards was amazing luck.

I had a 5 card drawgame at my house for years, all for fun because non of us could really play the game, we thought we did yeah, but we didnt.

And then internet came about, and online poker began, And I am still playing, mainly Hold'em and PLO, and I am still learning aswell.

Poker is just great, I still get a buzz when I start up the laptop to play some poker. It is a big part of my life.
 
Old
Default
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 10:14 AM
(#7)
mtnestegg's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,336
It's my big toe...... I need it for balance..... as many of you know it's how I met my wife. without online poker I wouldn't enjoy the life I lead today. I'd still be back in california, without my wonderful wife and beautiful almost 3 year old son, whom I couldn't imagine life without. so thanks poker.I truly owe you my life.not a whole lotta people can make that claim,but here's one that really can...

Last edited by mtnestegg; Wed Sep 07, 2011 at 12:16 PM..
 
Old
Default
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 11:05 AM
(#8)
RockerguyAA's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,089
BronzeStar
Poker means a lot to me. When I sit down to play online or live, I feel like it is where I belong. It feels like home to me. A few months after Black Friday I started something very similar to home sickness

At first poker was mostly about the fun and excitement. Although even then I was already sitting down with a poker book or two and learning the game. I started out playing poker while still in highschool during the big poker boom when I was 18(ok maybe it was 17 lol). I was playing on Party Poker and all it took to deposit was buying a specific phone card from the local 711. Kind of criminal if you think about it... Anyways around 2006 the first round of US gov lameness hit and I was kicked off Party Poker. Moved to Pokerstars where they required ID from the start. Good for them. Played on and off for several years, generally profiting petty amounts of cash then quitting for a bit after hitting bad variance and watching my profits dive into the negative. Lots and lots of poor bankroll management

Started playing again 3 months before Black Friday. Thanks to the help from PSO(small tournament cash) plus a small NAPL rookie league cash, I was able to more than double my $20 remaining bankroll. All of the information I got out of the videos and forums and other members really helped me get on the right track again. I realized where I wanted to take my poker game and HOW to do it. I quickly grinded my $45 into over $150 at 2NL. Spent some time in April learning the ins and outs of 5NL and ended up only breaking even due to some serious bad runs of variance. Worst session of my life kind of bad variance. However, I have recently identified some leaks in my 5NL game thanks to the PSO again, but also thanks to a wonderfull new book I bought 'Harrington on Online Cash Games'.

So... now that round 2 of US gov lameness has gotten me kicked off of Pokerstars as well, I am presented with quite a problem. I feel like I could see the path to travel from 2NL up to 50NL. All I have to do is put in the effort and the time and DO IT. So the question that presents itself is, how do I do it? I can't even run Stars anymore, let alone log in. There are two solutions. One, I play on a US facing site - TERRIBLE idea, such an extremely bad option I won't even go into the details. Two, I relocate outside the US - not an easy option from any angle, but possible. Thanks to my current situation in life and being 24 years old I am probably a prime canadit for this option really. The only criteria I don't fit perfectly is I do not have much money. The less money the harder it is to accomplish. With my budget I am kind of stuck to moving to somewhere as cheap as possible. The prime locations I am considering for that are Mexico and Vietnam. Canada is also an option if I can find somewhere with very cheap cost of living. I should be able to stay anywhere for atleast 6 months with the proper visa.

That is what poker means to me. I would literally move outside the US for atleast 6 months so I can continue playing. The idea is a bit more structured than that though. I would spend 6 months playing full time, roughly 50+ hours a week as well as a tournament or two on Sundays. The idea would be to accomplish atleast semi-pro status by the end of that time, either in the upper micro stakes or lower low stakes. If I could accomplish that, I would be able to pursue going pro. If at the end of that time it doesn't work out, I will head back home and direct my efforts elsewhere.

For the time being I've got to save up my money and continue reading and learning about poker. Got to go down to the local bar just to get some play money tournament action so I don't go insane lol.
 
Old
Default
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 03:34 PM
(#9)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
Poker means a lot to me. When I sit down to play online or live, I feel like it is where I belong. It feels like home to me. A few months after Black Friday I started something very similar to home sickness

At first poker was mostly about the fun and excitement. Although even then I was already sitting down with a poker book or two and learning the game. I started out playing poker while still in highschool during the big poker boom when I was 18(ok maybe it was 17 lol). I was playing on Party Poker and all it took to deposit was buying a specific phone card from the local 711. Kind of criminal if you think about it... Anyways around 2006 the first round of US gov lameness hit and I was kicked off Party Poker. Moved to Pokerstars where they required ID from the start. Good for them. Played on and off for several years, generally profiting petty amounts of cash then quitting for a bit after hitting bad variance and watching my profits dive into the negative. Lots and lots of poor bankroll management

Started playing again 3 months before Black Friday. Thanks to the help from PSO(small tournament cash) plus a small NAPL rookie league cash, I was able to more than double my $20 remaining bankroll. All of the information I got out of the videos and forums and other members really helped me get on the right track again. I realized where I wanted to take my poker game and HOW to do it. I quickly grinded my $45 into over $150 at 2NL. Spent some time in April learning the ins and outs of 5NL and ended up only breaking even due to some serious bad runs of variance. Worst session of my life kind of bad variance. However, I have recently identified some leaks in my 5NL game thanks to the PSO again, but also thanks to a wonderfull new book I bought 'Harrington on Online Cash Games'.

So... now that round 2 of US gov lameness has gotten me kicked off of Pokerstars as well, I am presented with quite a problem. I feel like I could see the path to travel from 2NL up to 50NL. All I have to do is put in the effort and the time and DO IT. So the question that presents itself is, how do I do it? I can't even run Stars anymore, let alone log in. There are two solutions. One, I play on a US facing site - TERRIBLE idea, such an extremely bad option I won't even go into the details. Two, I relocate outside the US - not an easy option from any angle, but possible. Thanks to my current situation in life and being 24 years old I am probably a prime canadit for this option really. The only criteria I don't fit perfectly is I do not have much money. The less money the harder it is to accomplish. With my budget I am kind of stuck to moving to somewhere as cheap as possible. The prime locations I am considering for that are Mexico and Vietnam. Canada is also an option if I can find somewhere with very cheap cost of living. I should be able to stay anywhere for atleast 6 months with the proper visa.

That is what poker means to me. I would literally move outside the US for atleast 6 months so I can continue playing. The idea is a bit more structured than that though. I would spend 6 months playing full time, roughly 50+ hours a week as well as a tournament or two on Sundays. The idea would be to accomplish atleast semi-pro status by the end of that time, either in the upper micro stakes or lower low stakes. If I could accomplish that, I would be able to pursue going pro. If at the end of that time it doesn't work out, I will head back home and direct my efforts elsewhere.

For the time being I've got to save up my money and continue reading and learning about poker. Got to go down to the local bar just to get some play money tournament action so I don't go insane lol.

JUST WONDERING WHY CANT YOU LOG ON TO STARS MANY OF US U.S. PLAYERS DO AND WE PLAY YES IT'S PLAY MONEY BUT THERE ARE SOME GOOD ONES THE 10,000 18 AND 27 MAN ONES ARE GOOD SO SOMETHING TO DO BEFORE YOU MOVE
GOOD LUCK



 
Old
Default
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 06:07 PM
(#10)
Brizer73's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 270
What is Poker 2 me ???
IT'S A CARD GAME ISN'T IT ????
I hope i have'nt got this wrong !!!
Or i'm gonna look stooooopid !!!!! lol
And i love it more than my girlfriend !!
( that's what she says )
It does take up a large amount of time.
And i would'nt have it any other way. B. lol
 
Old
Default
Thu Sep 08, 2011, 06:46 PM
(#11)
bindy67's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 132
initially i played it for brain exercise....got a bit lost in it where my every thought was poker related.....have calmed down now and am looking at it like a fun way to pass a bit of time....when it stops being fun, i'll stop playing for a while. when my thoughts become too focussed on poker again, i'll stop. and when i'm told i'm playing too often, i'll stop.

for a while.
 
Old
Default
Fri Sep 09, 2011, 12:37 AM
(#12)
johannfl's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 169
BronzeStar
It's a hobby. It's something I wanna do live on sat. nights since I hate dancing. But right now it's made some of my friends think I'm a dick.

Let me explain, first at work I dont brag or even really talk about playing on the internet , etc. or beng serious about it.

Then a while back me and a few work "friends" had a beer and poker night, and it seemed obvious to me after the first hand dealt, though there was a lot of smack talkin, and I;m sure at least a couple of em played some play money games on the net or maybe participated in a "bar" tourney, that they knew nothing about how to play. i.e. the pot could be like $6.00 and then someone makes a bet on the turn of like .50 cent or something. Or another guy would fold to every cbet i made or check if he missed but bet only if he hit the flop. So when I made a correct bet, or 3 bet pre flop etc, I kept getting looks like "what a dick". (especially after winning).

Reminded me of the 40 year old virgin, and they asked him to play cause they thought he was a sucker, and he just killed it, someone asked him, have you played before, and he said just a little like 2 or 3 hrs on the internet each night. lol .

Now some people dream of winning the lottery, and thats too passive for me. It;s the dream of winning a tourney or two at the wpt or wsp etc.

If you stpo dreaming you loose something inn your spirit I think.

So to me its everything from being something to do when Im bored, to something I'm working on to master that I enjoy working on, like a guy that loves woodworking making a beautiful cabinet in his garage, to an opportunity to fulfilla dream and shine in the limelight, like a young musician who dreams of playing at madison square garden. But I think more than anything, it's the rush I get when I have a read on someone who Im sure Im ahed of and he pushes....and then I call. That moment to me is better than like a huge freefall on a rollercoaster.

Cheers, Johann.

Last edited by johannfl; Fri Sep 09, 2011 at 01:12 AM..
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com