Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Why are Premier league players allowed to play in the open league ?

Old
Why are Premier league players allowed to play in the open league ? - Wed Sep 07, 2011, 12:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I realise that by definition 'OPEN' skill league means open to all, but bearing in mind that the open tourney fills up so quickly, I question the sense in allowing premier league players to enter what is essentially the 'lower' division of the league, especially as they do not even get a score recorded.
All this is doing is preventing either less able or (in my case) less financially well off players from entering a tournament when the premier players have their own ring fenced league.
No doubt this will provoke howls of protest but i have missed registering for 3 tournaments by seconds recently when the absence of premier lg players would probably have left enough space for me to enter.
Any body care to justify their inclusion ?

Old
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 12:28 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobylops View Post
I realise that by definition 'OPEN' skill league means open to all, but bearing in mind that the open tourney fills up so quickly, I question the sense in allowing premier league players to enter what is essentially the 'lower' division of the league, especially as they do not even get a score recorded.
All this is doing is preventing either less able or (in my case) less financially well off players from entering a tournament when the premier players have their own ring fenced league.
No doubt this will provoke howls of protest but i have missed registering for 3 tournaments by seconds recently when the absence of premier lg players would probably have left enough space for me to enter.
HOW MANY DO YOU THINK ENTER ANY ONE TOURNY ??

Old
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 12:52 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
My guess would be 20 to 30, (establishe by checking people's previous tourney rankings) not many I know, but enough when the entries click to 10k just as you are logging in !

Old
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 05:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
I still occasionally play the Open Skill league if I am on PS when one is registering.

Don't forget PSO is a school where PSO members have league tournaments provided both to compete for prizes but also to practice and learn the game. I use the Open league games to practice playing different styles, take notes on players who are at the top end of the Open leaderboard who I might be up against in the Premier in future, and on all the players I might be competing with if I get relegated back to the Open. I will only play a few a month, and I doubt many premier players are eager to play in many of these.

If I was still in the Open league making a serious attempt to finish high up the leaderboard I would rather have some other serious PSO players to compete with rather than the many all-in shove monkeys who turn up as overspill from the astronomer freerolls

Everybody has the same very limited chance to register for the Open Skill league tournaments. If an open tournament fills up then even if all 1500 premier ticket holders had registered there are still 8500 other places - so if you can't get organised enough to register then don't blame those who can.

Good Luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 10:56 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
A valid point which I hadn't considered at all, thankyou.

As for being organised sometimes events conspire against you (internet access problems mainly) and to miss a tournament by seconds is very frustrating when you are trying to improve your game and leaderboard position.

What has just occurred to me is that IF the US players are ever allowed back then 10,000 places will be nowhere near enough when you account for the 120,000 people already registering for the Open league, a case for regional leagues maybe ?

Old
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 11:08 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
As far as your point on the US players, Staff has commented that if the registration were to fill up even faster than it does now, then they would be allowed to increase the amount of players. I can't remember the exact number, but it was something like 2 or 3 minutes to fill would allow the increase. It doesn't mean this can't occur w/o US players, but obviously it would be much more likely when we are allowed back.

Old
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 12:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2010
Understand the frustration, it happens to us all.

Not sure they will want to move back to regional leagues because that is essentially what they had prior to July, with IntelliPoker De/Es etc running similar leagues (pretty much mirrored) to the PSO which have now been merged into the one. I assumed this was done due to fall in numbers after black friday.

I'm not sure I would be wanting to enter a PSO Open Skill freeroll tournament if the 10k players increases to 20k/30k/40k though - not unless they take some steps to improve the format as they have in the premier league.

Good luck

Old
Wed Sep 07, 2011, 12:25 PM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post

Everybody has the same very limited chance to register for the Open Skill league tournaments. If an open tournament fills up then even if all 1500 premier ticket holders had registered there are still 8500 other places - so if you can't get organised enough to register then don't blame those who can.

Good Luck

+10,000

If the OP is missing out on successfully registering by "seconds", then clearly they are taking a lastminute.com approach to registering in the first place. And their attempt to use PSL players as a smokescreen for their lack of organisation is, to be frank, a complete joke. BE READY and you will get in no problem. Dont be ready..and then you have ONLY YOURSELF to blame if you fail to register in time.

Old
Talking
Wed Sep 21, 2011, 08:49 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
almost missed registering while reading posts!

Old
Sun Sep 25, 2011, 12:12 AM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobylops View Post
I don't believe that it is the PSL players that are to blame, as I don't think many of them bother with the OL. What bothers me is when your trying to climb in the standings (like myself) and you have so many players playing in the tourney that are only there for the 1/10000 chance of winning a $5 bill.

I mean, I understand there is alot of players not willing to deposit and that is why they play the freerolls, but playing a tournament for 4+ hours to reach the final table for only a couple bucks is pretty ridiculous.

I find that i'm always knocked out by some hyper-aggressive player that isn't even looking for standings points, and call's an all in with a draw and hits it. And these seem to be the players that make it far in the tourney, due to their care-free approach.

That's my two cents.

S.Vanzella

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com