Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Great Hands #23 - Behind the Poker Face - Week 11, Hand 66 - Negreanu/Galfond/Stiner

Old
Great Hands #23 - Behind the Poker Face - Week 11, Hand 66 - Negreanu/Galfond/Stiner - Thu Sep 08, 2011, 02:14 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2010
(Administrator)
WhiteStar
Watch the video of this great hand between Daniel Negreanu vs Phil Galfond vs Stiner

Watch Video Here.

Would you have acted the same way? What would you have done differently? Share your thoughts and feedback via this forum discussion about this hand.

Regards

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Administration

Old
Sat Sep 17, 2011, 01:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I like Phil's play. I know the preflop call looks loose (it is), but playing super deep stacked in position is more valuable than just the intrinisic hand value of a K8, and Daniel is opening a very wide range. I think Phil's explanation of Daniel's range and action is excellent, and like his play on all streets.

I assume Daniel had an ace... I think his play with A-x is good out of position vs. an aggressive tricky pro like Phil. His flop c-bet is fine, he's often not going to have an ace here and would be expected to c-bet his entire range. The only tough spot for Daniel is once he check/calls the turn his hand is face up as Ax or KQ/KJ, allowing Phil to make perfect value betting decisions. He can add some disguise vs. a player he has a lot of history with by turning his Ax into a bluff and check-raising (or playing it however he thinks Phil would expect him to play a strong hand), but that gets awful expensive when it doesn't work and Ax has showdown value and serves as a good bluff catcher, so taking the line he did with it is fine, although it speaks volumes to the power of position how this hand plays out.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com