Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Poker and depression

Old
Poker and depression - Thu Sep 08, 2011, 08:07 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
Hi all,

Now I'm not going to go all 'self inward' on you lot but I'd like to say that PSO keeps me in touch, and wanting to be in touch, with the outside world. Reading and joining in the forum and blogs is a great boost to me - lots of interesting issues raised, and lots of banter and dry humour AND support, which is a fillip I can tell you. Playing poker is great for the mind both mathematical and psychological and at the moment is giving me one of my purposes in life. Not for the profit which is ok at the moment and a nice bonus toboot but for the mental challenge and the social aspect.

I've had chronic depression for 14 years or so and probably for a bit before that without the realisation of what was actually happening. Partly chemical and I have to accept that, but mostly because of not dealing well with personal loss - job, marriage, home, all gone etc. Then what the hell is he doing playing poker you may ask. It's loss city! Well what better way is there to deal with loss than to face it on a regular basis. Plus there's bankroll central.

I don't hope that this thread turns all 'sob story' but that any of you out there who have had or are suffering from this condition can offer each other support whilst still enjoying this community and the poker fun.

At the moment I'm sleeping upwards of 12 hours a day (napper) - and I must try and counteract that behaviour - and as a result not been very active in the Premier League - of the 2 tournaments I have played I managed to pick the 'freeze out' earlier this week. I'm playing tonight for however briefly and hope to see you all out there at some time.

Good flopping!

nv

Old
Thu Sep 08, 2011, 09:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
hi there.... this site may or may not help you, only you can know that.... but try not to rely on it to combat depression, or certainly not the only thing.more important is family, real friends who understand you (not pixel-people) and if you are able, physical exercise. don't spend too many hours a day in here.

gl on the tables

Old
Thu Sep 08, 2011, 09:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Hey nv147,

One of the most important rules in poker in that gambling and depression do not mix well. In general, it is a recipe for disaster. Maybe somehow it works for you, but your story scares me to be honest. Poker is a great game, but I don't think looking to poker to add more purpose to your life is the right idea. I can't say I am able to fully understand what your going through, but I agree with Bindy that exercise is a great idea. Not excessive amounts, but moderately on a daily basis(cardio and/or weight training). It is much better time spent than playing poker. Also, focusing on eating healthy might help as well. Lot of veggies(greens mostly), decent amount of fruit, small amounts of lean meat/fish, seeds/nuts. Dried dates and figs make for some awesome desert.

Just trying to help. Maybe your already doing this stuff. If not, something to consider?

Old
Thu Sep 08, 2011, 11:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted_username View Post
Hi all,

Now I'm not going to go all 'self inward' on you lot but I'd like to say that PSO keeps me in touch, and wanting to be in touch, with the outside world. Reading and joining in the forum and blogs is a great boost to me - lots of interesting issues raised, and lots of banter and dry humour AND support, which is a fillip I can tell you. Playing poker is great for the mind both mathematical and psychological and at the moment is giving me one of my purposes in life. Not for the profit which is ok at the moment and a nice bonus toboot but for the mental challenge and the social aspect.

I've had chronic depression for 14 years or so and probably for a bit before that without the realisation of what was actually happening. Partly chemical and I have to accept that, but mostly because of not dealing well with personal loss - job, marriage, home, all gone etc. Then what the hell is he doing playing poker you may ask. It's loss city! Well what better way is there to deal with loss than to face it on a regular basis. Plus there's bankroll central.

I don't hope that this thread turns all 'sob story' but that any of you out there who have had or are suffering from this condition can offer each other support whilst still enjoying this community and the poker fun.

At the moment I'm sleeping upwards of 12 hours a day (napper) - and I must try and counteract that behaviour - and as a result not been very active in the Premier League - of the 2 tournaments I have played I managed to pick the 'freeze out' earlier this week. I'm playing tonight for however briefly and hope to see you all out there at some time.

Good flopping!

nv
Hey nv. I called you sweetheart a while back, sorry I thought u were a girl, and sometimes tend to be a bit to forward and personable w/ the opp. sex. I guess we all are hard wired to some degree from childhood or other experiences, you know. People think Im a girl all the time, calling me "joann" , as opposed to Johann, as in J.S.Bach etc, so hope you get a kick out of that

I've had a few experiences with depression or darker times in my life. It wasn't clinical, or deep and long lasting , more of a shallow, experience based I guess. But I was absolutely miserable none the less, and my self medication made it a lot worse. What helped me was time(and I assume thats not applicable if its a "chemical" and chronic problem) , and hanging out w/ other folks/friends.

However thinking back to my experiences, giving this type of advice is near meaningless if youre really in the dumps. It's like tellin someone to just be relax and ignore the discomfort and grin n bear it when they have a bullet in their thigh, and it hurts like hell. I would def. recommend to hang out with some friends, or at least go out and have lunch or something somewhere cool where you might meet someone to chat with for a while.

If you wanna chat and listen to some sh*t I've been through and recovered from, feel free to IM me, I'd be glad to talk to you.

As for poker, if its fun for you, like any hobby, great. I love it too. Just don't sit in front of the computer 12 hrs a day. There's a wonderful world out there.

I'm gonna find a song I really like that always lifts me up and inspires me, will post it. The video sounds depressing cause it's the beloved singer's funeral. But when you watch it, you'll see its anything but. This man loved life, though he had some obvious disadvantages.

Cheers, johann.

Last edited by johannfl; Thu Sep 08, 2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old
Thu Sep 08, 2011, 11:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post
Hey nv. I called you sweetheart a while back, sorry I thought u were a girl, and sometimes tend to be a bit to forward and personable w/ the opp. sex. I guess we all are hard wired to some degree from childhood or other experiences, you know. People think Im a girl all the time, calling me "joann" , as opposed to Johann, as in J.S.Bach etc, so hope you get a kick out of that

I've had a few experiences with depression or darker times in my life. It wasn't clinical, or deep and long lasting , ie acute, more of a shallow, experience based I guess. But I was absolutely miserable none the less, and my self medication made it a lot worse. What helped me was time(and I assume thats not applicable if its a "chemical" and chronic problem, and hanging out w/ other folks/friends.

However thinking back to my experiences, giving this type of advice is near meaningless if youre really in the dumps. It's like tellin someone to just be relax and ignore the discomfort and grin n bear it when they have a bullet in their thigh, and it hurts like hell. I would def. recommend to hang out with some friends, or at least go out and have lunch or something somewhere cool where you might meet someone to chat with for a while.

If you wanna chat and listen to some sh*t I've been through and recovered from, feel free to IM me, I'd be glad to talk to you.

As for poker, if its fun for you, like any hobby, great. I love it too. Just don't sit in front of the computer 12 hrs a day. There's a wonderful world out there.

I'm gonna find a song I really like that always lifts me up and inspires me, will post it. The video sounds depressing cause it's the beloved singer's funeral. But when you watch it, you'll see its anything but. This man loved life, though he had some obvious disadvantages.

Cheers, johann.

http://youtu.be/V1bFr2SWP1I

Old
Fri Sep 09, 2011, 12:11 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted_username View Post
Hi all,

Good flopping!

nv

i spent a good 20 years battling depression ,and know all to well the battle of balance and sleep,and if your lucky the hit and miss trials with a drug that works ,i have come a long way and still have to remind myself to be positive its hard work but life is worth it ,as is the game of poker ,i may not be the best to give advice on poker ,anytime you want to talk of the depresion and dealing with it ,pm me or in forums dont be afraid to ask

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com