Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Did I play this right or wrong ?

Old
Did I play this right or wrong ? - Fri Sep 09, 2011, 10:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi i would like your thoughts on this hand. It is late in a MTT with 12 left out of 960 players $5.00 rebuy
12th place gets $232.00
8th place gets $475.00
5th place gets $1,107.00
and 1st Place is $3,891.00
At this stage with blinds and Antes so high it was pretty much a All in or fold from everyone.
Was wondering if you would of played it this way? Would this be the correct play for long term?
What if there was a shove in front of me should i call it with AK?
The tables kept changing fast so i had only played a few hands against theese players.
As you can see all players except one has around 10BB.
I thought about just folding to go up in the money but when i got AK i couldnt do it?
I assume most players would have played it the same, Look forward to your thoughts.
Thanks

Old
Fri Sep 09, 2011, 10:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Super standard, 10 BB shove with AK. You lost a flip, don't sweat it. There is only one way to play it here and you played it right. If someone before you shoved then you could find a fold, but in an unraised pot in a MTT you can never consider folding AK on 10 BBs.

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 02:56 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Super standard, 10 BB shove with AK. You lost a flip, don't sweat it. There is only one way to play it here and you played it right. If someone before you shoved then you could find a fold, but in an unraised pot in a MTT you can never consider folding AK on 10 BBs.
I don't think any competent MTT player is ever finding a fold with a shove before them lol.. I would be getting it in 3way here!

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 04:24 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
I think there are nit ranges you can be behind as well as ICM considerations, pay jumps, etc. Maybe a big stack clash where staying out of it with a small stack is actually more +$EV than calling off with AK. In this spot though, stacks are way too even for you to do anything but play for the win I think. Also, open-shoving ATC can easily be more profitable than calling AK.

Old
Sun Sep 11, 2011, 03:59 AM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
Thanks for the advice mate.
What would be the bottom of your range here to shove as apposed to calling a shove already?
Also what range do you recomend when heads up? I play a few hyper turbos with 6 players and manage to get to the final two but seam to come second alot.

Old
Sun Sep 11, 2011, 06:22 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Depending on my reads of the SB and BB I might be shoving 100% from the button on 10 BBs here. Most likely anything suited or connected, or one 1-gapped 86 or better, any pair, any Q or better. It really depends on reads though. I don't think I shove less than 50% here. My shove-calling range is generally pretty tight. I tend to fold small pairs, broadways and bad aces. My shove-calling range could be much wider but readless my general calling range is probably like AT+, 77+. I should work KQ into there because of its sick blockers. Still depending on the situation it could be as tight as just KK, AA. AK is dicey and really hard to fold because of how hard it blocks AA and KK, but still there are spots where ICM makes it a fold when shoved to. That is actually why the calling range sometimes goes AA, KK, AK,...then QQ...because QQ is CRUSHED by 6 combos of AA and 6 combos of KK as well as flipping against AK, while AK is only crushed by 3 combos of AA and 3 combos of KK while flipping with 22-QQ. Yes I prefer shoving AK and calling QQ, and I rarely fold QQ preflop, but QQ is actually an easier preflop fold than AK.

Heads-up is dependent on stack sizes. Under 10 BBs I'm shoving 90%. Over 20 BBs, I'm minraising or limping at least 90% on the button readless. I probably call a [wide range] shove with any ace, any K9+, any suited king? QJs? any pocket pair. I don't know, I hate calling shoves. Somewhere around 15% probably...

Old
Sun Sep 11, 2011, 09:28 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
+1 I totally agree. The only way I'd not shove is to a previous shove... hoping that someone else busts out on it and I'd move up the pay ladder. Other than that, I couldn't get my chips into the pot quick enough.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com