Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Defining Moment & ROI comments welcome

Old
Defining Moment & ROI comments welcome - Sat Sep 10, 2011, 03:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Hey all,

Not even sure how to start this, but will keep it simple, though I could write an essay on playing tonight.

First a disclaimer. I'm not writing any of this to pat myself on the back, or worse, to brag. Rather, thought it be cool to hear responses from more experienced players, and to give some inspiration to some newer ones.

When I made my first deposit at PS , (it was before black friday, im in the US), I seemed to have done pretty well. no bankroll mgmt, but did ok in some tourneys, played up to $11.00 buy ins. Even on PSO skill league think I did ok here and there. Made it to the final table a few times at least. now through a lot of practice and studying, I'm certainly a different player now. I've had my ups and downs, that's poker though, right, but always eager and studious. Well tonight the stars aligned, or something happened; a defining moment.

First I started with $20.00 played .05/.10 6 max $5.00 max buy in and in 2 hrs ended with almolst $15.00. Table leader. Bear with me thats not the moral of this story. But I did feel incredibly focused and comfortable, and though there were surely some good players on that table, it got to the point where I felt in complete control, knowing whet each player was gonna do beforehand. It was the only table I was playing, and as always I was totlly focused on hand reading/ ranging more than anything.

I took a break and played a $5.00 full ring sit n go. No money, but didn't make many mistakes. Lost to A8 I had AA Flop was something88. No money.

I took a break and played another, and here's where what happened that I'm writing about. Except for one really predictable station, these were as far as I was concerned pretty darn good players. It was a long game, some were too passive, some too tight, some too loose, but all decent players. Blinds got pretty high by the time it got down to the four of us, and it was a real battle. Everyone tried to exploit the other in any way possible. When the bubble burst all three of us were almolst even in chips. One player typed, "Welcome." I replied, "Great game so far, gl."

At that moment I had a friggin moment of clarity, whatever you wanna call it. I was in this room with 2 other pretty damn good players and I not only felt comfortable, but I felt empowered, like "dont tread on me." I had made it real clear that you better have the goods if youre gonna steal, and you bettre be ready to stack off if you 4 bet me. I won't be trapped and I mix up my play so good luck ranging my hand. And then I thought back to about 8 months ago, around the time I just passed the PSO quiz. Had that person back then been in this room that I was in, he'd been eaten alive, I thought. It amazed me how far I'd come, and wonder how much further I can go.

It was a great, and difficult match, but ended up heads up. I had a 2/3 chip lead and had a read on him like I'd been playin him all my life. And found a couple fatal flaws on his part. I made a mistake, knew it was a mistake and he moved ahead of me. Soon after, exploiting his flaws, we were even again. And at that moment I sat back, took a deep breath and had my second moment of clarity. I don't know how to explain this, but I knew he couldn't beat me. There was no anxiety, no nothing. Yup I did win.

Ive played some good games, and recently placed 6th in a 366 mtt. But I've never played where everything I've learned just fell into perfect place. I guess you call it being in the zone, but it was more that that to me. It was everything I've learned and done and every game I've played in the last 8 months just smashing together and turning into pure focus. BTW it wasnt just a run of good cards, I was actually getting more garbage and mediocre hands than anything else.

Now the moral. Again, why am I writing this. Mainly to contrast the player I was 8 months ago to the one I am now. And knowing I'da never come close to surviving that sng 8 months ago.

I really wanna thank everyone whose helped me or even played a game with me along the way, moxie, darkman, trumpinjoe, panicky, dan ,etc. and especially the Langolier. Thanks for the classes Dave.

I've got a long way to go, and hope the next 8 months will be even more enlightening.

Now I actually have something for comment, and from what I've read about ROI this is gonna make many of u all cringe, but I'd be interested if anyone thinks what I'm doing here is sane. I typically deposit around 20 bucks on thurs or fri. take that and any winnings I make till sun. and play the highest mtt i can afford on sunday, and let the chips fall as they may. That's it, that's my current routine. Grrr, right???? Comments / advice welcome.

Cheers, Johann.

Last edited by johannfl; Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 04:27 AM..

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 03:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Great post. Love to hear stories like this. It's one of the reasons I've stuck around here so long...

JDean has posted a few times on your style of BR management. I believe it was something along the lines of "if this is just a hobby for you and you can afford it, sure. why not?"

Also, Seagull would be proud.

G'post, g'luck, and g'night.

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 05:30 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrissinger View Post
Great post. Love to hear stories like this. It's one of the reasons I've stuck around here so long...

JDean has posted a few times on your style of BR management. I believe it was something along the lines of "if this is just a hobby for you and you can afford it, sure. why not?"

Also, Seagull would be proud.

G'post, g'luck, and g'night.
Thanks mcrissinger

I am hoping to win one of those tourneys, my twisted way of bankroll mgmt i guess, lol. even have ticket to a $100k guaranteed I got from a satellite. Whew wish me luck. First round's on me if I win. OK, second one too.

Whetever happened to seagull anyway, remember him in a few PSO skill league games we played together when I first became a member and these really, really detailed posts. I think that was seagull wasnt it?

other players like captquiver that i havnt talked to since black friday.

Last edited by johannfl; Sat Sep 10, 2011 at 05:33 AM..

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 08:47 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
Haha, i love your story and trust me stories like these can really inspire some ppl to do better. As for your BRMGMT... well if that's what YOU want to do then theres really nothing wrong with it and i'm sure one day you'll hit it big time! But if you ARE making winnings into sunday then why stop? you could keep building your way up or maybe even play some bigger tourneys

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 07:55 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
thx eagle

Last edited by johannfl; Sun Sep 11, 2011 at 01:22 AM..

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 08:59 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I dont mind your style of BR MGT its not by the book, but it doesnt hurt you to deposit a few bucks a week... so play the games you like.... maybe you just might get in the zone and bank one! good luck

Old
Sun Sep 11, 2011, 01:15 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar

Last edited by johannfl; Sun Sep 11, 2011 at 01:22 AM..

Old
Sun Sep 11, 2011, 01:18 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
I dont mind your style of BR MGT its not by the book, but it doesnt hurt you to deposit a few bucks a week... so play the games you like.... maybe you just might get in the zone and bank one! good luck
thx roomik

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com