Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Was there any better play?

Old
Was there any better play? - Sat Sep 10, 2011, 07:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
It was early in this freeroll tournament. VAHA-FAIRDOG seems kinda loose to me cuz he tends to place abnormally large bets when he has a small pair or hits a small pair on the board. He even made me fold a pocket 8's in one earlier hand post-flop (flop was 7 3 2, cant remember the suites), during showdown he just showed a pair of three with him having 3 9s!! Keeping that in mind I played the way in this video. Was there any better play?

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 01:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
You shoved KK preflop and got called. What's not to like?

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 02:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaul View Post
It was early in this freeroll tournament. VAHA-FAIRDOG seems kinda loose to me cuz he tends to place abnormally large bets when he has a small pair or hits a small pair on the board. He even made me fold a pocket 8's in one earlier hand post-flop (flop was 7 3 2, cant remember the suites), during showdown he just showed a pair of three with him having 3 9s!! Keeping that in mind I played the way in this video. Was there any better play?

Answer to question in title: NO, there wasn't a clearly better play versus this type of villain.

If that is not abundantly clear to you why that is said, then some explaination may be needed...

WHY IT IS A GOOD PLAY HERE:

1) You have a very strong hand NOW.

KK is going to be well ahead of almost the entirety of the raise range of the loose villain. It will also be a hand which will tend to STAY a favorite. That means a large pre-flop pot is a desirable thing.

2) You may NOT have a strong hand on many flops.

Your read of the "live" Villain in this hand is that he will bet extremely strongly with very little. While your KK can withstand a lot of pressure, there are certain boards that will be scary for you to call significant amounts on. This player's wild tendencies mean he wil likely bet hard both in circumstances favorable and un-favorable for you. His propensity to "test" your hand's strength with excessive bets means you will benefit from simplfying your post flop decisions as much as possible; it does not get any simpler than to be all in pre flop.

3) There is "free money" to be won if you can squeeze out the Villain who still has chips.

You are going to showdown here as soon as the Villain with 5 chips calls the raise. But the live villains open raise to 600 means that, if he FOLDS you are guarenteed a 595 chip up. That is roughly 15% of your stack, so if you can pick that up with NO chance of losing, that is not a terrible thing at all.

4) There is reason to expect the live villain will call for your entire stack holding LESS than your KK.

The read you've shown on the live villain is one of incredibly loose and aggressive play, boardering on the maniacal. This sort of player will tend to NOT fold to re-raises, even fo all their chips (or all yours). To the maniac, every hand is a "race".

If they hold big un-paired cards they convince themselves it is "ok" to call a big chip move because you MUST have only a small or middle pair, and if they hold a small or mid pair, they immediately think you hold big un-paired cards.

This means putting all your chips in will quite likely result in him calling with FAR LESS, and making you a prohibitive favorite to make a huge double up at this stage of the MTT. Your KK, being ahead of all but 1 hand in hold em, is not scared at all about being all in pre-flop versus this person, and getitng em all in early makes sure you will get max benefit from your strong hand when this type does call.

SO...

This is a reasonable play versus the player type who open raised here.

Against a less extreme type, a KK jam on this depth of money would be quite "value owning" for you since you'd get worse hands to fold far more often (only hands like QQ/JJ/AK/AQ MIGHT call), and the 1 hand that crushes you will surely call. Against more normal types, a lesser raise designed to get calls by weaker hands than yours more often owul be a better choice. But here, this was the right thing to do...

After that, it is all down to luck.

Old
Sat Sep 10, 2011, 03:53 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
Thank you. It rilly helped a lot, trust me

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com