Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Donk bet to induce bluff

Old
Donk bet to induce bluff - Sun Sep 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I wanted to experiment a little in this hand. Want to know what you think.
The fact that I lost this hand is not the issue (I think I would lose it anyway).
He was typical TAG so I decided to experiment a little:
Instead of check-call/check-raising the flop after his CB I decided to make a very weird donk bet to force him reraise me(I think every TAG would do that almost certainly)
After that I 4bet him because he had relatively small stack but maybe that was not such a good play. Maybe a call and check on the turn would induce another bluff attempt from him.
I didn't afraid from his 5bet so much because his range was very wide preflop and I made a play which probably fish would do so he even could value bet me with top pair/overpair.

Old
Sun Sep 11, 2011, 06:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
your opp was LAG, not TAG. TAG would just call your 5 cent bet and try to hit the open-ended straight.... then push after they had a made hand. TAG also will NOT have as wide a range preflop.

Q 10 is right in the range that a cutoff would have, seeing a flop.

Old
Sun Sep 11, 2011, 11:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I like it...Now can you balance your defend/donk out range with some weak hands? Maybe like 56 suited with a backdoor draw, Tx suited, and some real draws too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
your opp was LAG, not TAG. TAG would just call your 5 cent bet and try to hit the open-ended straight.... then push after they had a made hand. TAG also will NOT have as wide a range preflop.

Q 10 is right in the range that a cutoff would have, seeing a flop.
A TAG would not open QT from the cutoff? Also TAGs don't like to call, they like to raise. A TAG would raise that donkbet with any piece, especially the top part of an open ender. A nit/rock/station just calls 5 cents into a 30 pot trying to hit a straight. A TAG still raises his straight draw here because the 5 cent bet looks like a cheap steal or a weak pair probing. And what hand that makes such a weak bet is going to pay you off if you make your straight?

I like the donk bet, though I would have made it more like 1/3-1/2 pot, and it still looks really weak but builds a bigger pot. And I probably just donk/call and check-raise all in on the turn. Donk/3-bet/get-it-in isn't bad on this flop because what can he really have that beats you besides JJ, 99, 44, J9? 60 BBs deep you should be happy to get it in with AA here. He can shove a bunch of hands you're ahead of, (QT, QJ, KJ, AJ, KQ, T8) Check/raise intending to get it in is good too.

Last edited by oriholic; Sun Sep 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old
Mon Sep 12, 2011, 02:27 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
I like it...Now can you balance your defend/donk out range with some weak hands? Maybe like 56 suited with a backdoor draw, Tx suited, and some real draws too.

A TAG would not open QT from the cutoff? Also TAGs don't like to call, they like to raise. A TAG would raise that donkbet with any piece, especially the top part of an open ender. A nit/rock/station just calls 5 cents into a 30 pot trying to hit a straight. A TAG still raises his straight draw here because the 5 cent bet looks like a cheap steal or a weak pair probing. And what hand that makes such a weak bet is going to pay you off if you make your straight?

I like the donk bet, though I would have made it more like 1/3-1/2 pot, and it still looks really weak but builds a bigger pot. And I probably just donk/call and check-raise all in on the turn. Donk/3-bet/get-it-in isn't bad on this flop because what can he really have that beats you besides JJ, 99, 44, J9? 60 BBs deep you should be happy to get it in with AA here. He can shove a bunch of hands you're ahead of, (QT, QJ, KJ, AJ, KQ, T8) Check/raise intending to get it in is good too.
+1.

Old
Mon Sep 12, 2011, 06:19 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2007
Just two questions:

What is the judgement on the preflop limp?

Was getting it all in from the villain with an open ended straight draw really bad, and if so, why?

TC

Old
Mon Sep 12, 2011, 06:39 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Apologies for piggybacking on this thread, but I find the preflop call interesting. For me, this would be a pretty automatic 3 bet. I have the best hand and want to get as much money in the pot as possible preflop. Postflop too, I would very rarely deviate from a straight value betting line.

I'm grinding fairly successfully at 2nl and hoping to move up to 5nl soon. Should I be mixing things up like this ocasionally, or, as most advice would have it, just play straightforward and value bet, value bet, value bet? How important is deception, and balancing ranges, at this level?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com