Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

1hr 15min into open skill league

Old
1hr 15min into open skill league - Mon Sep 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
BronzeStar
I have a good chip stack i dont know wheather it was silly to risk all my chips hear or if i made the right call and just got a bad beat?

Last edited by jacobyte; Mon Sep 12, 2011 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: replayer

Old
Mon Sep 12, 2011, 02:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Can you provide any information in addition to the hand itself? Reads on villain, and what tournament was this? The 3-bet/call can range from standard to marginal to bad depending. I think smooth-calling, 3-betting, and even shoving are all options, depending on our opponent's tendencies, the type of tournament, and the importance of---oh I see it's skill league. I think flat-calling > shoving > 3-betting in this case. Still depends on our reads of villain though.

Regardless I don't like the min-3-bet, especially out of position. If I 3-bet it's never less than 5k here...probably more like 5555. Since this requires me to put in a third of my stack I'm not planning on 3-bet/folding unless a mega nit who has me covered ships.

Old
Mon Sep 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
the player had been seeing alot of flops and playing pretty agressive the last few hands, i couldnt put him on a high pair so i thought he had an ace and i would out kick him, i agree my raise was far too weak watching it back, im just a bit inexpirience with mtt.

Old
Mon Sep 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
Well, how the hand was played to one side, the hand odds were distinctly in your favour, your AKd Vs. AcQd winning 72.67% of the time, losing 22.92%.So once the chips are in, that was were you were unlucky.

And up against a LAG player, AK suited is just as good as AA or KK, For me, anyway.

Old
Mon Sep 12, 2011, 03:43 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I'm down with flatting and trying to stack him on an ace high board. There are also a lot of flops we can check-raise with our hand, but we can still get away from unfavorable ones with minimal loss against a stack that can do severe damage to us.

Plus, if BB is aggressive he might squeeze over our flat since this is a great spot to make a move against an aggressive late position raise and a call, and we have a snap call against his range and stack size.

Last edited by oriholic; Mon Sep 12, 2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old
Mon Sep 12, 2011, 04:41 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the feedback guys, i think maybe flat calling to see it develop may have been better in that situation for me, but i suppose like alot of these hands its more a judgment call on who your playing.

Old
Wed Sep 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I didn't really care for the min-raise. Either raise them 3X or shove or fold. Min raises can price in other players or set up a squeeze for someone. You ended up with only 1 opp, but alot of the times you'll see multiple people in pots if you min-raise and with AK, you'd much rather be up against 1 opp than multiple, as it lowers your chance to win the pot considerably.

If it was me, I agree with Ori that I'd have flatted it, then shoved with A or K on flop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com