Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Help Playing Large Freerolls

Old
Help Playing Large Freerolls - Thu Sep 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
What advice can you give me when i'm playing the Open Freerolls. I find that you cannot play many hands due to the "freerollers" that keep pushing pre-flop or after the flop.

In general, just any advice on how to play through the different stages of these tournaments would be more than helpful.

S.Vanzella

Old
Thu Sep 15, 2011, 04:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
You already know about the initial problem, the large numbers of maniacs in these games. If you have a successful strategy in the Open League, that will work very well here. When I could play the astrology games, (I'm American), I broke the game into five stages.

Stage One:
The first four rounds of the tourney.

This is where the crazies dominate. Best thing to do is protect your stake by folding. Your best options are playing the group one, pairs only, hands. These are Ace-Ace, King-King, Queen-Queen. These are still risky since you'll have at least three callers. If you can limp into the blind, that's best.

Stage Two:
Round Five to the Ante.

Most of the maniacs have eliminated each other, but if your luck is like mine, you'll be seated at a table with at least one of the survivors. These players will normally have a huge stake, anything between $12K and $20K. They sometimes will sit out, but don't expect this to continue. Avoid any direct confrontation pre flop, and try minimizing the costs for seeing the flop. Expand your hand range to the first four groups, but be ready to jump on a lucky flop. Steals are possible of the gutted players who have withdrawn from the game. If you can win small pots, be satisfied. The idea is to continue chipping at the remaining maniacs while building your stack.

Stage Three:
First Ante to Double the payout.

If a tournament pays the top five hundred, then you're playing to the thousand mark. Here you'll need to be more aggressive. Blinds and antes will kill you if you don't increase your stake each round by more than double the cost of a round. (in the $1,000 / $2,000 - Ante $100 ---- you need to earn a minimum of $7,800 for any chance to advance.) Whenever you have the chance to eliminate a player, take it. Try to do more stealing, and if you're the big stick, intimidate as much as practicle. By this point, the maniacs are gone, except for the one player blessed by the poker gods. Again, if your luck is like mine, that person is at your table, and still red hot. Players sitting out have been blinded out, and you're left with the true players.

Stage Four:
From the double point to the money.

This is where your skill comes to the fore. You need to recognize the opportunities and make the most of them. You'll get maybe two good hands per round here and you'll need to increase your stake by more than half each round if you intend surviving and going deep. Most players will become tighter the closer they come to the bubble, if they have any sizeable stack. Those who are short will begin going on full tilt in the hopes of just passing the bubble. Play tight against those with more and extra aggressive if the player has less. Keep an eye on the count and keep an estimate of how many hands to the money. (if you see ten players eliminated every hand you play, and there are two hundred to the payout, it's twenty hands.) If you have more than 150% of the amount to sit out those hands, play loose with the excess. Below that, but over the 100% mark, consider your risk - to - reward whenever you challenge somebody.

Stage Five:
Post bubble.

Go back to your usual style. You want to go deep, so push the good hands and minimize on the bad. You might try speculative hands against those on tilt who got past the bubble. Again, you'll need to earn more than the round costs on a consistent basis if you intend going deep.

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 08:28 AM
(#3)
Thanks alot, i'm going to put those stages into action this morning with the Skill League Freeroll, as many of those players aren't even registered here and are only going for the possible cents.

I have roughly the same strategy except i didn't break the tournament down to stages like that. I'll let you know how it goes.

S.Vanzella

Old
Sun Sep 18, 2011, 10:53 AM
(#4)
hi
how can i get training from pokerschool trainers,ty.

Old
abt game - Sun Sep 18, 2011, 11:16 AM
(#5)
hi
ty very much as i had gain lot fromu,tya.but i need more to learn from u as u av good experience,ty.regards

Old
Thumbs up
Sun Sep 18, 2011, 05:42 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
An excellent piece of advice, one which i am sure any serious skill league player will make use of if they are not doing so already.

Old
Tue Sep 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Great advice. I have played Skill league for 2 months and I am seeing the flop about 7 % of the time prior to getting to the top 14%

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com