Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Bad beats: I think it is an art form

Old
Bad beats: I think it is an art form - Fri Sep 16, 2011, 06:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007
I was at the receiving end of another bad beat this morning and decided that I was going to post it, when I noticed a folder entitled "PSO bad beats June11 onwards" . I was both mildly amused and somewhat perturbed to find over 50 hands where I was sucked on on when i went all in with the best hand. Now considering I only played in June and played hardly at all in July and August i think I am due a change in fortune.

I have chosen a few for your delight and entertainment:

No complaints really with this one but being sucked out on the river seems to be my forte.

Sometimes though you just wish the luck would run the other way round

As well as getting sucked out on the river, another recurring theme seems to be losing to A rag.

And as for this mornings gem what can I say! we are 25 minutes into the open league. I have played one hand and won a small pot with pocket tens. Farfar came to the table after the first orbit with about 1000 chips. He has limped with rubbish, he has raised with rubbish, he has went all in with KJ7 on the flop with 84 in his hand and hit his straight to beat a set of Js, he has hit trips with A9 against Aces, he has basically hit every card possible to win every hand but one where he lost about 20K in chips to an A7 with his AJ and that player has just been moved a few hands back.

I wake up with AK, he raises and vbif who is new to the table goes all in. There is no point calling as farfar will go all in pre or on the flop. A little voice says fold, conserve your points, but my poker "brain" says you have to play these hands, you have to go all in: so i go all in.

When I see the hole cards I feel pretty confident, I have made the correct play. The flop brings the other villian a gut shot, Q on the turn and I actually hear myself praying "please not a Jack, please not a Jack, there would be no justice with a Jack". As you can see the river card takes an eternity, or at least it seemed like an eternity and yes it is the Jack. I am out and basically any chance of a run at the top spots is virtually over for me.

I am actually so sickened that I think that is me for the month, I may as well play like a maniac and donk out below 500, although knowing my luck I will probably end up winning when I want to lose.

Anyway, I hope some of you enjoy these bad beats, and at least for me it has got it off my chest, sort of!!!

TC

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
none of these are actually bad beats...you lost all to good hands and got a bit unlucky. Coinflips...

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
(#3)
In every hand I am 3 to 1 favourite to win, except off course the one where I had Kings where I was 3 to1 dog.

I would say most people would agree that coming out the wrong end of 50 of these would constitute not only bad beats, but is really going against the normal swings in variance. I also had a folder where my premium cards held and there were 21 hands over the same period.

In essence any hand where you are 3/1 favourite to win and suck out on the river is a bad beat not just a bit unlucky.

Thanks for your input, anyway

TC

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
(#4)

And this evening what do we get but more of the same First playable hand I had had as well;()

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Fri Sep 16, 2011 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: forgot my moniker

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 02:07 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by memsinan View Post
none of these are actually bad beats...you lost all to good hands and got a bit unlucky. Coinflips...
Getting 2 outed on the river is definitely a bad beat.

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 04:28 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post

And this evening what do we get but more of the same First playable hand I had had as well;()

TC

Well the 107o call in the hand you showed earlier when farfar binked his J was pretty horrific. But this,calling you with 98s after that flops hits...wow. Congrats to this dope,that's about as bad as I've ever seen. Just brutal. Guarantee you that just like farfar and the 107 mope earlier this is a Hubbles freeroll donk who will never make a dime playing this game and doesn't care.

Top we've all been where you are right now. You want players like this on your tables,you know that. Just keep getting it in good and it WILL turn. You also know that.

You aren't out of this month's discussion sitting somewhere in the top 150 by any means. Look at it this way,you're sitting in shouting range of the top and you can't run any worse the rest of the way so you're probably due. Keep plugging away.

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 04:45 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
In every hand I am 3 to 1 favourite to win, except off course the one where I had Kings where I was 3 to1 dog.

I would say most people would agree that coming out the wrong end of 50 of these would constitute not only bad beats, but is really going against the normal swings in variance. I also had a folder where my premium cards held and there were 21 hands over the same period.

In essence any hand where you are 3/1 favourite to win and suck out on the river is a bad beat not just a bit unlucky.

Thanks for your input, anyway

TC
I agree with what you say. Just one thing...you're all in pre-flop. So some one with AJ AQ KQ KJ K10 might jump in with you. At a table of 10 you have 20 cards are dealt. Out of the 30 cards left expect any K Q J or undercard will give you trouble especially if your opponent has raised 3 times the pot in an early position. You are correct if everyone folds to you but if they haven't going all in pre-flop is still a coinflip at a 10 player table. I'm not saying you were wrong to do what you did. Maybe your opponents were very loose players and you got unlucky. But I have caught a lot of players with QQ JJ even AJ when they go all in with AK.

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 04:47 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
By the way getting called by the 98 and losing that way is definitely a bad beat...no doubt about it...

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Yeah I know. I just looked at the 1st and 3rd...at first I didn't realise there were 3 hands...probably went scroll mad there.....LOL

Old
Fri Sep 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidInFull6 View Post
Getting 2 outed on the river is definitely a bad beat.
Yeah I know. I just looked at the 1st and 3rd...at first I didn't realise there were 3 hands...probably went scroll mad there.....LOL

Old
i play poker here... - Fri Sep 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
i'm just an old chunk of coal; but i'm gonna be a diamond someday....

Old
Sat Sep 17, 2011, 12:21 AM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2010
I'm not involved in the hand, but this has to be the worst bad beat I've seen for a while. The victim hadn't been at the table for long. Makes you wonder about the odds of this happening

Old
Sat Sep 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2010
dont feel so bad top i know what your going through,all you can do is get your chips in the middle with the best hand,after you take a huge beat mabe take a cpl hours break before playing again to clear your head,keep up the good work ronh1967

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com