Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

Mental Aspects

Old
Mental Aspects - Sat Sep 17, 2011, 05:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to share a few things I have been experiencing in the last week and hopefully get some advice or maybe some of you can share their own personal experiences.

I just came back from an 8 month long break from poker at the beginning of September. I am generally a winning player although I don't play for a living. I am 23 and have about 2 years experience of live poker and a couple of months of online poker. I started with a bankroll of $80 and won a fair amount. I now have a bankroll of $250 having cashed out some of my winnings. I played a lot of $3.50 sit n go's for bankroll building purposes (9max & 6max) and finished top 5 on the mars division low orbit leaderboard last week, final tabled an MTT for 6th, and top 14 in another along with a lot of minor cashes. My figures are at about 25% ITM for September. 15-20% of my ITM finishes are quite deep top 150 in the thousands of runners.

However, this last week things haven't been going as well as the first part of the month. I just don't seem to do as well in sit n go's and I feel I have really nitted up restricting my game to a very tight range AQs+. For some reason, I just don't seem to be able to get out of it. I am having trouble opening up my range and actually playing/reading hands. Things like platinum stars have suddenly begun to look scarier than usual, standard play like 3 barreling with the best hand as well, value betting each street and folding a hand I feel is beat. More advanced stuff which require a certain level of reading skills like 4-bet steals which were part of my game not so long ago now just feel unreachable because I am having problems reading the game. I just can't seem to recognise patterns and make notes (assign ranges) as before. I think this is really beginning to affect my play and sometimes I just play really bad. Since my range has tightened up so much, my 6-max, 4-max and HU play are really crappy as well. I constantly have alarm bells going on in my head and have trouble extracting max value when outright favourite.

Simple example: Playing the $3.30+R MTT last night from the button with As8s. Blinds are 200, 400. My stack 18k. UTG limps, MP calls with a stack of 14k and I limp the button. SB folds, BB checks. Flop J73, 2 spades. UTG bets small 1600, MP calls, I call, BB folds. Turn 8c. UTG bets big (80% pot) 5.7k, MP calls and I fold. I fold??????? River is a spade, UTG checks, MP goes all-in and gets called. He had a flush and UTG had KK. My read was that UTG had a big hand like KK and AA and MP was on a flush draw as well or had flopped a set. After the hand I just don't understand how I could fold the turn. I had a pair and fd, pot odds were great and I was drawing to the nuts which did come at the end as well! :s

Well guys I have tried exposing how I am feeling at the moment. If you guys have been through something similar or recognise this situation, can you please drop a line? I'd be glad to hear what you have to say about this. Thanks!

Good luck at the tables!

Pilot1112

Old
Hello - Sat Sep 17, 2011, 07:26 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Seems you are a few levels above me in skill...but I can tell you (since you just came back in Sept.) that the Platinum stars don't mean nearly as much this month.

There was a promotion last month where it was basically 10% VPPS to earn stars. For example Silver was only 75 to earn instead of 750. So I think you can probably ignore that much for the month of Sept.

GL to you

Old
Sat Sep 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Freckldgator,

Thanks for your reply! Not sure about my skill level but I keep trying to learn and apply new things to my game. Believe me I'm far from being a spectacular player. I hope that someday I'll get there though! haha Next step is to sort out this confusion/confidence problem I'm having at the moment! I actually kinda feel better about the platinum star thing now. lol I hadn't thought of the promotion as a factor! You don't need to be rich/pro to be a platinum star at the moment. I guess that's a start!

Regards,
Pilot1112

Old
Sat Sep 17, 2011, 11:06 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Hey Pilot

Welcome aboard!!

Doing Dan's job now..... Hey Dano lmao

We ALL go through this exact thing. See the latest thread I posted. Also look back at a recent post from Gatehouse. Unfortunatly, far to common.

I think "Getting out of your own head" is probably the biggest thing I've picked up over the last couple of weeks.

Believe you are a sound player, and play like you are a sound player....and you will return back to being the sound player you once were. Confidence.

Enjoy

Dale

Old
Sat Sep 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
Pilot,

I think your intellectual approach is right, I am curious about your emotional approach. In my case, how I am feeling affects the way I play. I recently finished first in one of the Premier League tournaments. After replaying the event in my mind, I realized that everything was perfect for me both intellectually but also emotionally. If I am distracted, even a little bit, my game changes. I might be a little less patient, or more likely to call instead of raise. If I am stressed about work or even a little tired, I play a little different. I noticed it more last night when I went out very early in a PL tourney because I wasn't happy about something that had nothing to do with poker. I played like crap and the result showed it.

Perhaps there is something else going on that is not poker related and it is affecting you ever so subtly.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com