Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Mistake to a Maniac?

Old
Mistake to a Maniac? - Fri Sep 23, 2011, 11:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Hello,

I played the following hand against, what I perceived to be, a maniac. I'm in the cutoff and have KQs. A very playable hand from this position. In 3 of he last 4 hands I have seen him shove with QQ, 82o, Q3o. He has lost each time and is now shoving from UTG.

It's folded to me and I'm confident that the other players behind me are going to fold if I call, as I have only been involved in one hand so far. However, this is not a play I'd normally make especially this early in a tournament. I have omitted the outcome of the hand.

Old
Fri Sep 23, 2011, 11:13 PM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
KQs is a decent hand... but it's way too early to be putting your tourney life on the line without a made hand.
How to handle it is to let the maniac go, fold until you get an absolute monster (category 1 hand), then let them double you.

Old
Fri Sep 23, 2011, 11:55 PM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
If the guy is truly a maniac, it's a pretty profitable spot to get it in, you're about a 2-1 favorite over an 80% range. You're even a small favorite over as tight as a 20% range. But you also have a couple stacks behind you that can wake up with a hand, and it's still level 1. If the structure is slow it's ok to pass this. If your confidence in the read isn't strong, lean towards passing this as well. If it's a fast structure, or a strong read, and you're playing to win, I think it's a call.

Old
Fri Sep 23, 2011, 11:57 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
without a made hand.
Define made hand. For example, villain has already flipped up Q3o in one of these spots, if he flips that up again do we have a made hand?

Old
Sat Sep 24, 2011, 01:46 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I'm down. KQ's got some great blockers too. And if this is a turbo then from what you've seen I like the call.

Quote:
but it's way too early to be putting your tourney life on the line without a made hand
I'd rather have KQs than 22...

Old
Sat Sep 24, 2011, 11:26 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Define made hand. For example, villain has already flipped up Q3o in one of these spots, if he flips that up again do we have a made hand?
I'm just used to seeing that type of maniac having ace/rag way too often. If you could rule out an ace, I totally agree... been burnt a bunch of times in the past with KQs or KJs to ace/rag from maniac players like that.
The type of tourney that it's from would make a difference in it too. Turbo MTT, I'd be alot more likely to play it.... PSO game, especially with the old format, I'd pass.

Actually, this type of situation made me start taking notes on what players will play like a maniac with any ace, or any 2 suited cards.

Old
Sat Sep 24, 2011, 06:01 PM
(#7)
All i can think to say is how did Patr1c1o fold with only 80 chips behind?

Grade b

Old
Sat Sep 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrondps View Post
It's folded to me and I'm confident that the other players behind me are going to fold if I call, as I have only been involved in one hand so far. However, this is not a play I'd normally make especially this early in a tournament.
I don't recommend you ever make that kind of assumption during the early stage of a tournament. That said, your read on the maniac is much more important in your decision making process here than worrying about the blinds waking up with a monster.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com