Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

HU Play - How could I have played this hand differently.

Old
Lightbulb
HU Play - How could I have played this hand differently. - Mon Sep 26, 2011, 07:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010

I have a slight chip lead. my opponent has been an extremely tight player all through out the tournament. I min raise on the button and get re-raised. I decided to call since I am in position. As of now I am putting my opponent on high picture cards.

On the flop my opponent bets 900, I have a gut shot and & his bet only seems like a cBET, as if he had a J, he would bet heavy so I could not draw. If he has a flush draw, he can semi bluff, but his bet size should be a large enough to take the pot down right there and then. So I decide to call.

Turn is 7d, which now gives me extra outs. Any 5 can give me the nut straight, any 7 can give me trips and any 6 can give me wo pairs.

My Opponent moves all in - which now seems to me a desperate missed flush or desperate missed AK, AQ, KQ etc type of hand. I decide to call and he sucks out on me.

The only mistake I think I made here, is to continue with the hand when he re-raised pre flop, however, I decided to go ahead with hand because 1) it was HU & 2) I had position.

Guys, need your help, advice, suggestions... thanks in advance.

Old
Mon Sep 26, 2011, 03:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
You should post this in the hand analysis section

Old
Mon Sep 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
** Moved **

Old
Mon Sep 26, 2011, 09:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The way the hand played out, I'd have put your opp on AJs, KJs, etc. If so, you'd normally push the turn to keep someone from drawing at a straight. They could have a busted flush draw, but a big J is more likely.

I'd have mucked it on the flop, as a gutshot only gives you 4 outs (you'll only win 16% of the time). You still had a very playable stack and I'd try to find a better situation.

Even hitting the turn, if your opponent has a J, then you still only have 4 outs for the gutshot, 2 for the 7's.. and I'd discount the 6 because if they did have a J, a 10 for a higher straight is well within your opps range. With 6 outs going to the river, you'll only win about 12% of the time.

Old
Tue Sep 27, 2011, 01:53 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Gross. I like the call on the flop, but I probably have to fold the turn. Put him on a range and I don't think you want to be stacking off with 3rd pair here.

When I call the flop I'm doing so to see what he does on the turn. If he checks and I miss, I bet. If he checks and I pair up, I check back. If he checks and I hit my gutshot I probably bet to protect my floats.

When he jams the turn, what can he have? Flush draws, flush/straight draw combos, straight draws, gutshots with an overcard, , --oh you have the which is a blocker!--and other pair + draws. Hands like 98, oh and real value hands Jx, overpairs, two pairs, sets, straights. Honestly I think your 67 is doing pretty bad in this spot. Against his specific hand QT... (about the worst hand in his range) you had 77% equity, but there are only a few hands in his range like that. Against most of it you're not doing so great.

Last edited by oriholic; Tue Sep 27, 2011 at 01:58 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com