Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Bracelets - how did that start?

Old
Bracelets - how did that start? - Tue Sep 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Just wondering about the history of the 'bracelet' as a poker token of winning. Most sports have Cups, some have Plates, both useful for eating and drinking purposes. The bracelet seems a bit of an odd choice of 'trophy'. I don't wear any jewellery myself, (not since the wedding ring got thrown in the Firth of Forth) and I can see the practical value of being able to wear a bracelet and take your trophy around with you in an easily manageable form, around your wrist or ankle (or wherever else they may fit....). I have always seen the bracelet as a lesser item of jewellery to the necklace, which in turn is lower ranked than the tiara and so on up to the crown.

So any ideas why the bracelet is iconic in this game?

(btw - yes - I have been at the sherry again)

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Sep 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
No clue...except it sure looks like a 70's thing.
There were ID bracelets for young folks "going steady" as well as bracelets worn that belonged to Viet Nam servicemen that were overseas. At least in the U.S.
The first time I saw one it reminded me of those.

Old
Tue Sep 27, 2011, 05:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Not sure about the why's of the bracelets,but from 1971-74 the winners received a "corny looking" trophy as described be Becky Behnen,the daughter of WSOP founder Benny Binion. In 1975 it was a sterling plate. Since 1976 it's been bracelets.

And if the charges against the board at Full Tilt turn out to be true Ferguson and Lederer may be wearing a different kind of bracelet altogether.

Old
Tue Sep 27, 2011, 07:56 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
I guess 'man-jewelry' was bigger back in the day?

('Mr. T' the original, and his remake with gold at over $1500 an ounce ... recession 'Mr. T' )

Last edited by TrustySam; Tue Sep 27, 2011 at 07:58 PM..

Old
Tue Sep 27, 2011, 08:03 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
I guess 'man-jewelry' was bigger back in the day?

('Mr. T' the original, and his remake with gold at over $1500 an ounce ... recession 'Mr. T' )

Now you did it...

Glen Beck and his end of days azzhat brigade at Buygold are gonna cold call Rampage to death.

Old
Wed Sep 28, 2011, 12:41 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Now you did it...

Glen Beck and his end of days azzhat brigade at Buygold are gonna cold call Rampage to death.

Just spent over 2 hours in the Premier League to earn like -2 points, so I couldn't think of anything witty to say

Those gold buyers are a little hit or miss, eh? My mom and her friend brought some of their old jewelry from the good old days to get assessed by this guy, as seen on tv, just for kicks:

He offered them enough to go like have coffee and a couple of donuts ... maybe my dad can dress up as 'old Mr. T' for halloween or something

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 02:10 AM..

Old
Wed Sep 28, 2011, 09:57 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
Hey Trusty, I knew you were from TO (Toronto to those not familiar with the short form) as soon as I saw "Oliver" in the pic. Funniest post I've seen in a while.

Herk (from nearby Waterloo)

Old
Wed Sep 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2010
The wider world is fairly familiar with major Canadian city names - I have even been taught to pronounce it 'Tronno' - though I have to admit I don't know much about that big bit in the middle. Sasckkatchewenyy thing - whats that about?

Old
Thu Sep 29, 2011, 02:51 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Bracelets have not always been awarded. In 1970, the winner (by vote) received a Silver Cup.
Between 71 and 74, the winner received a Trophy.
In 75, the winner received a Silver Plate.

The tradition of receiving a bracelet for winning an event began in 1976, however in 80 and 81, there were 2 bracelets awarded to players who did not win any events (H.D. "Oklahoma Johnny" Hale in '80, Chip Reese in '81). These gold bracelets were given in recognition of being the "Best All Around Player" at the tournament (they are not now considered to be the equivalent of bracelets "won").

2007 saw the first award of a bracelet for a tournament played outside Las Vegas (Thomas Bihl, H.O.R.S.E. 2500 pound buy in event winner at the World Series Europe event, London England).

2008 saw Jesper Hougaard become the first player to win both a WSOP and WSOPE (World series Europe) bracelet.

2011 saw the first bracelet awarded for the World Series Circuit National Championship (Sam Barnhart)

All this info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_S...Poker_bracelet

Old
Thu Sep 29, 2011, 03:52 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2011
What ever happened to the red jacket? (Like the Masters green jacket) I think it was last given to Robert Varkonyi - 2002 World Series of Poker main event.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com