Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

New to the forum and (lack of) skill league

Old
New to the forum and (lack of) skill league - Wed Sep 28, 2011, 09:37 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi all,

I recently decided to start using the PokerSchool to improve my poor game. I have started a blog to keep my hand in and am looking for any advice to help me achieve a better standard of play before I meet my maker .

I have had some time playing at Stars but never ever consistently and I want to now make this my main site for online poker.

Any help with ideas for my blog and or ideas for tools, notes etc would be welcomed and how the league works would be cool. Work does impinge on my ability to grind the online but as much as I can do I will do

I look forward to chatting

cheers

Ian

Old
Wed Sep 28, 2011, 10:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
First off, welcome. Second, I'm American, which means I cannot play anymore. Still, I'm on the play money and visit friends here. So here's a few hints.

1 ---- Learn the difference between VPPS and FPPS. You need the first to achieve any prize in the school.

2 ---- Best place to earn these points is in ring games. Remember that folding earns points while sitting out doesn't. There is a difference. You need a minimum of 20 VPPS for the prizes.

3 ---- In the open league, the key to success is maximize the clock and fold. Early play is full of maniacs. Even if you get pocket aces, expect a minimum of three callers pre flop, and all-in, during the initial four rounds.

4 ---- Patience is the key to victory. Wait for the right opportunity, don't force it.

5 ---- Expect the other player to win with trash, and on the river. It will keep your blood pressure under control. Remember that human nature remembers every time you lose a winning hand due to the river, but blanks out the times it gave you the win.

6 ---- Players will call the site "Jokerstars" whenever monster hands lose. They will tell you the site is geared to kill great hands. Again, we all remember every detail of the hand where our pocket aces are cracked. Try recalling when you last won with pocket aces, you'll not remember more than the win. Again, that is human nature.

7 ---- The league is a month-long competition. It is a grind. Do not get distracted with the game you're playing. Keep focused on the long-term goal of moving up to the Premier League.

Old
Wed Sep 28, 2011, 10:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIGGER1964 View Post
Hi all,

I recently decided to start using the PokerSchool to improve my poor game. I have started a blog to keep my hand in and am looking for any advice to help me achieve a better standard of play before I meet my maker .

I have had some time playing at Stars but never ever consistently and I want to now make this my main site for online poker.

Any help with ideas for my blog and or ideas for tools, notes etc would be welcomed and how the league works would be cool. Work does impinge on my ability to grind the online but as much as I can do I will do

I look forward to chatting

cheers

Ian
Hey Ian, welcome to the league and the forum.
First, I sure hope everyone appreciates what the ol' hedgehog brings to the community. Thanks for the great info you provide members Cairn!

Thanks for the intro Ian. You've found a great place to learn.
As far as help on the blogs, my personal advice is to read your posts through thoroughly before you submit them to ensure fluidity and continuity. It just makes for easier reading.

Take your time to read through some stuff in the forum and ask specific questions. There are lots of people here willing to help. Look into participating in the Live Training and check out the videos too.
Most importantly, take your time. Know that we all keep learning this game we hate to love.

Old
Wed Sep 28, 2011, 11:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2011
cairn if he sticks to youre good advice he will do ok in the open gl trigger and take note of wot cairn is telling you.

Old
Wed Sep 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2011
buzz I LOVE the new pic!!!! lololol

Welcome Ian and good luck! I've learned alot here, from pro's and members alike, hope you will to ...... cheers r0ck

Old
Tue Oct 11, 2011, 10:37 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2011
welcome ian ,try some of the live trainning sessions to they have live trainners for us animals to abuse ,

Old
Belated Thanks - Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:05 AM
(#7)
Since: May 2011
Cairns

TYVM for your reply to my original post a year since. I've only just today read it .

It is a great post and I will utilise your good advice. Other things in life have taken over hence my lack of being on the school and blogging, but tyty for a gr8 insight into the league and how to play it.

Cheers

Ian

ps Thanks also to every1 for your kind comments

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com