Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

MTT with 14 blinds left

Old
MTT with 14 blinds left - Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Hello ,

I do not have a hand replayer for you as I logged off from the tourney before saving my last play .

My question is in mid late position with AQos and a 14 blind stack - the table folded to me and a monster stack in the big blind ... do I still shove the AQos (not avoiding his stack) knowing full well the big blind will call this tight aggresive player (is the shove most profitable because he pays us off with lesser holdings generally ?) .

The outcome of the hand was - the BB had AJ and hit a Jack on the flop ending my tourney .

I just want to check with you whether a shove will always be correct in that situation ? (as I ask this question I start to see how all the odds seemed to be stacked in my favour , thus justifying the action) . Of course your response will give me confidence .

Thankyou .

Last edited by JARGON1977; Fri Sep 30, 2011 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Hard to say without knowing your situation a little better. Where was the bubble? If it was close, you could make a case for waiting if you know the villain is going to call.
The only other option is a normal raise with no intention of folding to a re-raise pre-flop, and then deciding on your course of action post-flop, should you not be re-raised pre.
No problem really with the shove, but the circumstances may dictate otherwise.

ps, you can always retrieve your hand histories through the requests tab in the main lobby of stars.

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
Better yet just save all ur hhs to your hard drive.. Ezpz, under options/hand history options.. I save mine for 365 days. you could probably make it 1000 days if you want, but not sure.

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:43 PM
(#4)
The bubble was around 150 places away , thanks for the feedback .

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:44 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
You can also request the history through the stars client and it will come to your email.

idk why you think the big stack will auto-call you, but regardless in a regular pay structure MTT where we're playing to win, shoving AQ first in from mp with 14 bigs can't be bad. With other situations/goals you might adjust.

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 02:11 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARGON1977 View Post
Hello ,

I do not have a hand replayer for you as I logged off from the tourney before saving my last play .

My question is in mid late position with AQos and a 14 blind stack - the table folded to me and a monster stack in the big blind ... do I still shove the AQos (not avoiding his stack) knowing full well the big blind will call this tight aggresive player (is the shove most profitable because he pays us off with lesser holdings generally ?) .

The outcome of the hand was - the BB had AJ and hit a Jack on the flop ending my tourney .

I just want to check with you whether a shove will always be correct in that situation ? (as I ask this question I start to see how all the odds seemed to be stacked in my favour , thus justifying the action) . Of course your response will give me confidence .

Thankyou .
14BB and not near a bubble situation, this is an insta-jam when it is folded to you.

First: AQo will tend to play well against even a slightly wide calling range, and you are in big enough "need" of the double u you should be perfectly willing to accept a "race".

Even if you are facing a TIGHT calling range, the chances are that range (one which has AQo in "trouble") will not have a hand often enough for you to want to fold. The blinds and antes are too big a chip up for you to want to pass up a chance to pick them up if the BB DOES fold, so you are going to jam with AQo regardless.

It should also be obviously that with 14BB, you do not have enough of a stack to make a standard raise, then fold, at any point in the hand, so your default setting is to shove.

You did that, you got called by a hand which had just a 28% chance to suck out, and this time the 28% happened...that's poker.

Your decision was sound, and that is what really matters; keep making sound decisions, and 7 out of 10 times you will gain a double up in this same spot...THAT is what you want.

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 02:13 PM
(#7)
I had seen many times the big stack BB with speculative holdings calling short stacks shoves , I thought perhaps it was common ... (my experience in MTT's is quite small) .

Thankyou .

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 02:49 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2011
as The Langolier has said to me more than 1 time in live training (lol sorry dave ..slow learner lol) don't bring baggage to the table....notes are good but what's the tendencies du jour... are they tag or lag today or what..what have they been showing when u see their hands etc.... if they are 3 betting 57 off just because they are stacked up and getting pushy then hey great play just unlucky. 150 to the bubble and 10 bb it's not a bad play...the odds of better holdings both now in the villians hand and future are slim. personally I think I would 2.5 x with the plan to call a raise or push... that being said if your gonna call might as well bet it!!!
cheers gl @the tables r0ck

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 02:55 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARGON1977 View Post
I had seen many times the big stack BB with speculative holdings calling short stacks shoves , I thought perhaps it was common ... (my experience in MTT's is quite small) .

Thankyou .
Your mileage may vary. Depends a lot on the player, the stack sizes, your image, etc. But it's not like you're shoving 5 bigs here where they can be expected to call super wide... 14 bigs does provide some good fold equity even against a loose opponent.

Regardless, if we're playing to win we don't mind loose calls on a 14 bb stack when we have AQ. Sure I'd rather have a premium pair, but as our stack shrinks below 20 bigs I'm quite happy to play for all of it with an edge, and I'm also happy taking down the blinds/antes, so I think shoving is fine either way.

Last edited by TheLangolier; Fri Sep 30, 2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old
Fri Sep 30, 2011, 03:38 PM
(#10)
Regards Dave , I'm glad to get your input - it helps alot .

Kudos on the training videos & live training .

Thankyou .

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com