Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Pocket 88's on a 9 high board / short stacked

Old
Pocket 88's on a 9 high board / short stacked - Mon Oct 03, 2011, 08:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Hello again ,

In the next hand to my previous post I was dealt pocket 88's and decided to raise to the flop instead of a 17BB shove , the flop came 9 high .

Another tough spot for me where I reason the 88's are good to go & felt I could not fold to a raise with my short stack . Your thoughts on my tournament exit please .

JARGON1977

Last edited by JARGON1977; Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old
Mon Oct 03, 2011, 02:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
shove pre is prolly better then KJ KQ will fold and avoid that being in the hand. i call there you put in way to much of your stack to fold. is a cooler imo not much you coulda done really

Old
Tue Oct 04, 2011, 01:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Sorry Jargon, I'm gunna get all "socratic" on you again. That means I am not going to ANSWER your question, but rather ASK YOU QUESTIONS, to try to get you to answer it for yourself...ok?

1) what are the chances of at least 1 over card flopping to your 88?
(see this link: http://www.freepokertraining.com/training/overcards.asp )

2) what are your chances to flop a SET with your 88?

3) What are the sorts of flops you might be willing to commit your entire stack when you hold 88?

4) What % of your start stack is a raise to 3BB to go?
4a) Can you comfortably FOLD that amount to strong play back?
4b) How aggressive is your table, and what is the chance you will see that strong play back?
4c) Are there any "tricky" players at your table who will flat with pp LARGER than 88, instead of 3betting you?
4d) What is likely to happen if you LIMP your 88 instead?

5) what is your judgement of the chances for your ENTIRE table to fold to a 3BB raise?

After answering all these questions, what is your own opinion of your play here?

I will post my thoughts after you've added yours, ok?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com