Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Live Training /

Managing a Small Stack

Old
Managing a Small Stack - Mon Oct 03, 2011, 10:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Having already perfected the art of getting a small stack, I thought Dave's training session on how to manage the darn things was perfect for me. Then today I got into this usual undesirable position in the second PSO tourney and thought what the heck, time to try putting the theory into practice.

I tried to remember which hands were recommended as good to go 'hot and cold' and as I was running out of chips fast, not seeing any PPs or aces, decided I would go with my next K high hand. The villain who limped actually encouraged me even more to pick this spot, as I had seen him show down with a wide range of starting hands. He got most of his current stack playing Q5, flopping two pairs and seeing off a pair of Kings.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Marks out of 10 for effort?

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old
Mon Oct 03, 2011, 12:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Depends also on the opponents still to act behind you in this case. It's close though. If everyone else folds, and he calls with 100% of his limping range, you need 40% equity to break even on the shove. Pushing through some equities in PokerStove he needs to have a range of about 30% or higher. As described it sounds like he may be limping in at least this much. But given you still have 3 players to act behind you, this is probably a pass. If the guy is limp/calling significantly looser, that would swing it to a shove imo... despite the risk of others getting involved behind us the equity overlay would be worth that risk (for instance if he's limp/calling with 2/3rds of all starting hands, we're actually a favorite with K8o at 51%, needing only 40% to break even that's a pretty nice overlay).

Dave

Old
Mon Oct 03, 2011, 02:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
I'm trying to remember my exact thought processes, but I definitely thought this villain might be limp/calling my stack size pretty wide - any small pp, any A rag, K hands including lower than mine, several Q or J hands, and probably a few others too. I discounted really big hands although in PSO tourneys people regularly limp monsters, but I had not seen him do that. Having said that this is only hand 57 so the info is fairly limited. I didn't have any firm equity calculations in my head at the time so I will try to firm this up to a % of hands and run it myself in pokerstove.

I realised there was a potential problem with the players still to act, who were regular tight players, as I was pretty sure they would only ever be calling me with better, so obviously I was glad to avoid that potential pitfall. On the other hand I should have had a tight image myself. I've only won 1 pot with AK and been getting such garbage cards I have rarely entered hands. On the cut off here I also felt I had less people to get through than I was going to have the next few hands, and the blinds/antes were about to go up to 150/300/30 next hand or two. If I didn't get dealt a playable hand before the blinds, they were going to cripple any small fold equity I still had. I would probably then be reliant on hoping for a miracle monster or winning showdowns with any 2 cards.

Thanks for your response Dave - I will review last nights class again when the vid is up.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com