Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Ed takes up Cowboys Challenge

Old
Ed takes up Cowboys Challenge - Tue Oct 04, 2011, 02:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
As I usually play a fair number of sitngo tourneys, I will post in here all of this months $0.25 45 player games that I enter as I practice for next months full on Cowboys Challenge, not sure if I will make it to 100 but lets see how I run

Good luck to all taking the challenge.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Oct 04, 2011, 03:29 AM
(#2)
Well - maybe I shouldn't have announced this until tomorrow - first tournament was a bust...here are the 3 hands that gave me the swings

Nice work from another PSO player to finish me off as I tried to fight back from the AA debacle, good luck to Keldraco

The only way is up

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 03:35 AM..

Old
Tue Oct 04, 2011, 04:49 AM
(#3)
2nd tournament same outcome, looks like I am hitting a patch where I either lose with aces or lose by running into them. I have not been running well at all since September - but then it is only the 4th of October. Good job the bankroll management plan is in place.

Heres the best and worst of it - at this format you do not get too many second chances if you make mistakes - like my 2nd TT hand postflop call, misread what I thought was a bluff, or if you keep running into monsters.

And very well done Keldraco who eventually took 1st spot in the earlier tournament after busting me.

Old
Tue Oct 04, 2011, 07:21 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Ed if there's one thing I learned in these above anything else it's that most times when you see a bet like that after the flop has come they have hit what they believe is their "money" card or cards. Remember,most of the players in these are mediocre to bad to awful---they WILL let you know when they have it as a rule. Best thing to do in that spot over the long run is ask yourself--"What might they have called with that this flop makes them that strong?".

Almost anytime an Ace boards and they bet out you know you've been Ace-ragged. This flop I'm not putting AQ,KQ,QJ,Q10 or even ANY Qx suited hand out of their range. And you may even be up against someone so bad that they held QQ and let it go to a flop without re-raising you pre. Seen that more than a few times. And A4 is always a possibility here.

I've said it to other peeps before and I'll say it again--patience is key in these. You are almost never going to be able to bluff someone off a hand until the bubble (by then you should have picked out the "bubble-watchers",they're hugely exploitable).

Never let your position in relation to the rest of the field inform your decisions,make your decisions based on your stack in relation to the blinds. You can easily come from say sitting 20th with 25 left to take one of these down,or at least run deep. Try to get to the bubble every time you load one of these up. If you have a skill edge it will become more pronounced there. Early in these controlling the size of the pots is usually a good rule of thumb. If you have AA or KK (even QQ in many cases) and someone wants to tangle for stacks HU early on then yeah,go for it of course. But always be mindful that even though an early double up is a nice start it's NOT enough chips to get you to ITM.

Good luck.

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 08:13 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
Well - maybe I shouldn't have announced this until tomorrow - first tournament was a bust...here are the 3 hands that gave me the swings

Nice work from another PSO player to finish me off as I tried to fight back from the AA debacle, good luck to Keldraco

The only way is up
This is like deja vu of my day yesterday ...

I could swear my downswing is only like 80% me (hahaha) ... at least some of it's been the cards

Moxie, you make the profitability thing sound so easy

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 11:38 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post

I've said it to other peeps before and I'll say it again--patience is key in these.

Never a truer word was spoken - before I started this Cowboys Challenge I had been playing a lot of $0.50 45player games, but those are turbos. I don't think I had fully adjusted back to the more standard 10 min blind levels - I have much more time and many more hands to be patient than I thought.

I have had two cashes now so the challenge bankroll is only down about $0.10. I thought I was going to be the first player to bust this month - surely Chris is putting up a small prize for that achievement too

Good luck all

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 03:30 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
This is like deja vu of my day yesterday ...

I could swear my downswing is only like 80% me (hahaha) ... at least some of it's been the cards

Moxie, you make the profitability thing sound so easy

Sam were you to take on this challenge I know that you could beat it. Like a drum would be my guess. THEN make your MTT excursions fit within the parameters of the monies won from the challenge. See? If you find a game,or games, that you know that you can beat--"go-to" games as I call them and then fit your other plays to fit inside of the bubble of monies won in those games then you will never be an unprofitable player as long as you continue to follow that discipline. If you run a little "off" in the money making games then dial down your other plays accordingly,either by buy-in level or frequency of play.

That's what worked for me anyway. I knew I could beat the .25 45 and 90 man SNG's (was roughly +35% ROI in them) and used what I won there to pay for my MTT excursions (higher variance in these of course) and my ring table plays (just plain suck-ass break even donk in those to be brutally honest).

Said it before,say it again. Make a battle plan that works FOR YOU. Then follow it and make adjustments when necessary.

Why do I think you could beat the challenge? Just from reading posts you've made in the HA and other sections I know that you are easily way ahead at least 80% of the players in these. Remember don't try to beat the donks,make the donks try to beat you. Play nitty early,try to get to the bubble (I define the bubble as 12 players left in the 45 mans and 18 left in the 90 mans personally) every time and then take advantage of the weak,exploitable players. They should be readily apparent by this time.

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 04:17 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Mox does make it seem easy because he was the only guy playing the .25 games with 5000 buyins if there ever was a case for extreme bankroll mgt Mox wins the prize

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 04:37 PM
(#9)
LOL,I never had 5000 buy-ins per se,as I would cash out my winnings. But I am/was a BR nit,guilty as charged.

Plus for me it wasn't so much BR management as working on things--TILT management being one. Building tables being another (was to the point where 3 was optimum and 4 was doable when BF hit). We get back on here I'm right back at those levels and working to get to 6-8 tables,THEN I'm going to go for a big grind and try to beat it to my satisfaction.

When the time comes for that to begin I'm thinking I'll put the parameters of what I want to do in my blog. Wish it could start tomorrow,but hopefully sooner than later nonetheless.

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 05:04 PM
(#10)
I have made to FTs and two cashes in my first 7 games, though the first was only a min cash.
The 2nd was a better 4th place - I had Moxies Mantra - patience - in my head but was down to 10BB so looking for a hand and got lucky (hand1) then got some extra chips with a premium hand that got me to the FT (hand2)

The final table play is a bit hairy in these though - lots of shoves and people swapping places. I will need to get a bit more savvy with closing down on those top 3 spots.

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 05:10 PM
(#11)
Deleted user
Patience and getting it in against the fishiest player at the table.

Any reason you prefer 45s over 90s?

Good luck

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 08:21 PM
(#12)
Quote:
I have made to FTs and two cashes in my first 7 games, though the first was only a min cash.
The 2nd was a better 4th place - I had Moxies Mantra - patience - in my head but was down to 10BB so looking for a hand and got lucky (hand1) then got some extra chips with a premium hand that got me to the FT (hand2)

The final table play is a bit hairy in these though - lots of shoves and people swapping places. I will need to get a bit more savvy with closing down on those top 3 spots.

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh

Yeah you got a little lucky with the AQo hand but it was the 100% correct play. You're never folding that hand unchallenged in that spot and at 10BB's it's push or fold time. Period.

Also like the shove over the 4x raise with the QQ. His play there screams JJ or 1010 at me. I have the Q's I'm going. If he calls and turns over AA or KK ,oh well. AK and we're flipping for stacks,no problem doing that at bubble time in these. The games where you win the flips you should be set up for a 1st or 2nd finish. That's worth 9 and 6 min-cashes I believe,so the math of the play is correct IMO.

Nice job Ed.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 09:35 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
The very best of luck with this Ed. I'm giving it a shot too. Pretty sure I came across you at the tables today. Wishing you a good run!

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 06:56 AM
(#14)
Thanks RoyalRaise - I'll keep a look out for you at the tables.

At last I have got the challenge bankroll into profit, and made the top 3 for the first time.

Still, when the dealer hands you cards like these you have to hope to make the money

I was pleased with my final table play as I was 8th of 9 after the FT bubble burst - even made it into the chip lead a couple of times, but busted shoving TT into a KQo that caught the bigger pair.

Now have to go for that win.

Good luck all

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 07:49 AM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2010
Keep plugging Ed,

Moxie has sage advice as always. Patience is the key in poker period at any level with well timed aggression. Keep studying and practising because and fix our leaks right! Remember it only takes a small leak to sink a mighty ship! Benjamin Franklin

Gidee Up!

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 08:32 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Thanks RoyalRaise - I'll keep a look out for you at the tables.

At last I have got the challenge bankroll into profit, and made the top 3 for the first time.

Still, when the dealer hands you cards like these you have to hope to make the money

I was pleased with my final table play as I was 8th of 9 after the FT bubble burst - even made it into the chip lead a couple of times, but busted shoving TT into a KQo that caught the bigger pair.

Now have to go for that win.

Good luck all

That hand was exciting!! Glad it had a happy ending Nice to see the downswing's looking up

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 08:36 PM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
That hand was exciting!! Glad it had a happy ending Nice to see the downswing's looking up
LOL, sweet river Ed, one of 3 outs and you hit it!

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 08:45 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Sam were you to take on this challenge I know that you could beat it. Like a drum would be my guess. THEN make your MTT excursions fit within the parameters of the monies won from the challenge. See? If you find a game,or games, that you know that you can beat--"go-to" games as I call them and then fit your other plays to fit inside of the bubble of monies won in those games then you will never be an unprofitable player as long as you continue to follow that discipline. If you run a little "off" in the money making games then dial down your other plays accordingly,either by buy-in level or frequency of play.

That's what worked for me anyway. I knew I could beat the .25 45 and 90 man SNG's (was roughly +35% ROI in them) and used what I won there to pay for my MTT excursions (higher variance in these of course) and my ring table plays (just plain suck-ass break even donk in those to be brutally honest).

Said it before,say it again. Make a battle plan that works FOR YOU. Then follow it and make adjustments when necessary.

Why do I think you could beat the challenge? Just from reading posts you've made in the HA and other sections I know that you are easily way ahead at least 80% of the players in these. Remember don't try to beat the donks,make the donks try to beat you. Play nitty early,try to get to the bubble (I define the bubble as 12 players left in the 45 mans and 18 left in the 90 mans personally) every time and then take advantage of the weak,exploitable players. They should be readily apparent by this time.
Hey Moxie, I went and started my own thread instead over here for the challenge ... gonna give it a try

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...nge-a-Try-Too-)

Old
Cowboys Challenge First Ten - Fri Oct 07, 2011, 05:31 AM
(#19)
I am not getting much volume done on these, so probably won't make 100 in October, and certainly haven't doubled the bankroll yet, but it is good practice for November when I will step it up a gear.

First ten completed, inauspicious start but trying to make a comeback..

Results to date - Playing $0.25 45 player sitngo tournaments

Opening Challenge Bankroll 25 x $0.25 = $6.25

Tournament - Finish - Buy In - Prize - Bankroll
1 - T450056373 - 24th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $6.00
2 - T450069009 - 17th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $5.75
3 - T450114701 - 38th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $5.50
4 - T450115838 - 32nd -$0.25 - $0.00 - $5.25
5 - T450126854 - 7th - $0.25 - $0.36 - $5.36
6 - T450548687 - 34th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $5.11
7 - T450573449 - 4th - $0.25 - $1.29 - $6.15
8 - T450953861 - 3rd - $0.25 - $1.70 - $7.60
9 - T451010845 - 15th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $7.35
10 -T452385712 - 27th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $7.10

Good luck all

Old
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 04:03 PM
(#20)
Quote:
I am not getting much volume done on these, so probably won't make 100 in October, and certainly haven't doubled the bankroll yet, but it is good practice for November when I will step it up a gear.

First ten completed, inauspicious start but trying to make a comeback..

Results to date - Playing $0.25 45 player sitngo tournaments

Opening Challenge Bankroll 25 x $0.25 = $6.25

Tournament - Finish - Buy In - Prize - Bankroll
1 - T450056373 - 24th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $6.00
2 - T450069009 - 17th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $5.75
3 - T450114701 - 38th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $5.50
4 - T450115838 - 32nd -$0.25 - $0.00 - $5.25
5 - T450126854 - 7th - $0.25 - $0.36 - $5.36
6 - T450548687 - 34th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $5.11
7 - T450573449 - 4th - $0.25 - $1.29 - $6.15
8 - T450953861 - 3rd - $0.25 - $1.70 - $7.60
9 - T451010845 - 15th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $7.35
10 -T452385712 - 27th - $0.25 - $0.00 - $7.10

Good luck all

Ed 30% ITM and a +34% ROI in your first 10 games is hardly inauspicious. Keep plugging away.
Make one of those cashes a win and you're killing it,it's really that fine a line in these. (Think of it this way---a win is almost 13 buy-ins,a second is almost 9. Get a couple of those and the script flips quick and you find yourself sitting in tall cotton.)

As for the volume thing,how many are you playing at a time? 1 or 2?.These are a good place to try out your ability to multi-table. Be smart about it,if you're playing one at a time right now run through 30 or so like that and if you're beating them pretty well (the numbers you are putting up RIGHT NOW would qualify BTW) then try opening 2 tables. See how that goes over another 40-50 or so. That's not a big sample no,but it should give you a fair assessment of how it feels to you,to wit are you comfortable or not. If you're currently playing 2 at a time then same as above,just 2 tables to 3 is all.

Remember a lot (most) of your decisions in these are going to be very ABC TAG decisions so since fancy footwork is rarely needed in these volume is a good thing to strive for. And if you can double or triple your volume (or better) with only a slight bleed off in your ITM and ROI %'s it will lead to bigger profits. You may even surprise yourself and suffer no lessening of your numbers as you add tables. I found at the end that my numbers actually were slightly better at 3 tables open than they had been at 2,and 2 was better than 1. Probably I was over-thinking some plays with the lesser number of tables,thus contradicting one of my main mantras to myself when I load up my games...

"Don't think,it can only hurt the team."

Keep plugging and good luck.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Fri Oct 07, 2011 at 04:06 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com