Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

AA first hand in tourny?

Old
AA first hand in tourny? - Wed Oct 05, 2011, 12:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
First hand in tournaments??? What should I do?
PokerStars Game #68500842963: Tournament #450498625, $0.23+$0.02 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2011/10/05 0:40:35 ET
Table '450498625 2' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: jirong51888 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: alejhandro (1500 in chips)
Seat 3: godoy_cuiaba (1500 in chips)
Seat 4: Kking_77 (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: Ni BH (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: Vienna 22 (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: pokerstar671 (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: NightrainLow (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: lubka-sy (1500 in chips)
alejhandro: posts small blind 10
godoy_cuiaba: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to pokerstar671 [Ah Ad]
Kking_77: calls 20
Ni BH: folds
Vienna 22: folds
Vienna 22 is sitting out
pokerstar671: raises 60 to 80
NightrainLow: calls 80
lubka-sy: folds
jirong51888: folds
alejhandro: calls 70
godoy_cuiaba: folds
Kking_77: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [8s 4s 7c]
alejhandro: checks
Kking_77: bets 200
pokerstar671: calls 200
NightrainLow: raises 1220 to 1420 and is all-in
alejhandro: folds
Kking_77: calls 1220 and is all-in
pokerstar671: ???

Last edited by pokerstar671; Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 01:20 AM
(#2)
Deleted user
At this level you really dont know what kinds of hands the player has,you will run into more
players burning off steam and messing around at these than anywhere else.

Sometimes knowing how to play can mess you up against pure aggression.
The line I tend to take is to bet more than I should, I either take it down or I hook that guy that is
potentially going to be out in the next 7-8 hands anyways because he calls to much.
You bet 80 and the calling behind is going to add up and make you want to be sick.

So instead of 80 make it 150 or more. Donks recognize other donks and are more willing to get it in with you thinking you play the same. At worst you take it down but from my experience that never happens at this lvl. You at best narrow it down to 2 other players and you cbet no matter with plans to get it in.

A lot of the thinking happens before you bet/raise a hand. I look at timing tells a lot when I decide to bluff a person as well.

As for the hand what do you think he has that beats you?
People tend to slowplay trips and straight draws are not usually something some one gets allin on in the first hand. Donks love flush draws and call allins on turns to get them so we cant cross that out. Because there is a flushdraw on a low board this player may be protecting his hand against it.

When it comes down to it you have to make that call if your going to fold or call.

So preflop raise more than you usually would
Flop never call 3 way,raise and get that hand heads up,what happens calling is people put you
on a draw and feel like they need to protect their A8 type hands. I prefer to be the aggressor than the one having to call the aggression.

Bit all over the place,ask for clarity and I will ramble more clearly on what ever point you want to go over.

But preflop you may find me doing what you did but flop is never something I am going to do.

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 12:15 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
What chance do you have to be "right" here and stack off this opponent?

Your AA can easily be against a flush draw, or a straight draw, or even a combo draw.

Of all those possibilities, the LEAST of them probably gives the jammer about a 20% chance to take your entire stack here. The any double gut draws would have about a 34% chance, flush draws would have about a 39% chance, and combo draws (gut shot straight plus flush draws) might have as much as a 55% chance or so. Only gut shots have a weak chance, but even those will catch to beat you about 17% of the time.

This means even if you are ahead here, there is a strong chance you might LOSE anyway, since the jammer is now guarenteed to see both the turn and the river.

If you are behind, facing a set or a 2 pair hand, you are drawing to just 2 outs. If you are facing a made straight, you are drawing DEAD to running cards (and ace, plus the board pairing).

If you fold, you still have 1220 chips (61BB).

Do you REALLY want to bust out this early with just 1 pair, even if that 1 pair is AA?

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 01:57 AM
(#4)
Deleted user
@Jdean

So you would rather call Kking than raise?

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 02:08 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
@Jdean

So you would rather call Kking than raise?
not pre flop...post flop...I lead and then if I see a jam, I can fold 1 pair, yes even AA.

Pre flop I do not see anything non standard, so that really doesnt need discussion.

About raising bigger...that is a fine thought if you are "playing for pairs", and the table is highly aggressive.

The problem I have with doing it on AA though is that you'd have to work to balance it a bit with lesser hands raised for more than a standard raise as well...those may NOT be as good when they see play back.

That means I'd stick with a standard pre flop raise with all hands in the early stages, and a raise making it 3BB + 1BB for the open limper to go is pretty standard.

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 02:24 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
Sorry I was talking about post flop.

Kking leads on the flop.

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 01:28 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Do you REALLY want to bust out this early with just 1 pair, even if that 1 pair is AA?
Mantra I've started chanting to myself whenever I'm dealt a big pocket pair:

"It's only one pair...it's only one pair...it's only one pair..."

I do this to try and prepare myself to be ready to let go of the pair post-flop if the situation warrants....especially if after seeing the flop, I STILL only have one pair, even more so if the board is coordinated, and/or has an overcard, and even more so if the opponent is showing aggression with a coordinated board and/or one with an overcard. I know the overcard doesn't apply to this particular situation, but it applies to a lot of situations I get into.

If I could only get back all the chips I've lost by overplaying big pocket pairs, including aces.... :P

Old
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 10:36 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
Sorry I was talking about post flop.

Kking leads on the flop.
You are correct, I missed that.

...and it IS material to the hand.

If KKing leads here, and you DO NOT elect to raise that lead immediately, then you will find it hard to justify stacking off to the jam (unless that is an incredibly loose jammer). That does not change from my first post, where a quick look missed the fact that pokerstar671 did not lead for the 200.

If Kking leads, and you RAISE a standard amount (say making it 300 to 700 to go), you have probably STUCK yourself to the pot, and should call the jam.

since you did not re-raise immediately, I stick by my original statements, which were (in effect) when the pot is small, and you are facing a call that is LARGE in relation to your stack, you should be more prepared to fold and wait for a better spot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com