Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

About Stud...

Old
About Stud... - Wed Oct 05, 2011, 10:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I played in the Stud freeroll, and I must say, I do not have a clue.

What openinghands am I looking for?

And what are the hands I am looking for in general? I mean, like in PLO, 2 pair or a set is often not good enough.

So yeah, any tips would be appreciated.

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#2)
Opening hands, you have 3 cards instead of 2, so definitely play high pairs and connectors.

Watch out for unsupported flush draws.

Read opponents... but above all, read the outs on the board... if everyone else keeps getting them...

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 11:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
okay I'm no expert it this either but, as far as opening hands go, I like to see suitedness, connectedness, and pairs, BUT (and its a BIG but) in stud you always have to be VERY cognisant of the other players windows (their up cards), because these can turn what could be a really nice starting hand into trash in the blink of an eye. and they can turn what could be an iffy starting hand into an okay starting hand if all of your outs are still live. so be extremely aware of all the dead cards that could make or break your hand, as your drawing odds are so heavily dependent on knowing these cards. hope that get you started on the right foot. GL MT
oh and in stud most often two pair and sets are definitely good enough, as long as you don't see straight possibilities or flush possibilities and villains windows. again goodluck

Last edited by mtnestegg; Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 11:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
When playing regular stud, and not h/l, 2 pr or a set can be a very good hand and I will call down with less very often. It depends on the board and reads, but a pair can be quite good enough to call down 1 bet on 6th and 7th street. People love to bet missed draws.

The best starting hand is to be rolled up. (3 of a kind) It can easily develop into a boat and is very disguised. You should raise as much as you can when you're rolled up and especially if you see draws developing for other players. Problem is, you just don't get it a bunch.
Pairs and suited, and/or straightening cards are very strong starting hands. However, if betting is large early, I wouldn't get too excited about mid-pairs.

The thing I see in stud a lot is just like hold'em, players play too many starting hands. Be a bit selective. You'll see the impact of being tight when the betting amounts become large in relation to your stack. I think many just don't look at this early in a tourney...especially a freeroll.

One thing about stud you want to work on as a beginner, make sure you're committed (mostly ) to a hand at 5th street when the bet increases.
Personally, I like stud 8 (h/l) better.

Just my .02.

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 12:50 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
I think I read this the first time I ever played stud it helped me out tremendously http://www.pokersyte.com/seven_stud.htm

Old
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 07:47 AM
(#6)
Thank you people, I have some insight now about how to play this game.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com