Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

theres more to poker than the cards ur dealt

Old
theres more to poker than the cards ur dealt - Sat Oct 08, 2011, 06:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Anyone not aware of Anette Obrestad winning a 260 sng without looking at her hand (except once) ???

What a demonstation of playing her opponents (hand reading, etc) and position, etc.

Obviously theres a lot more to poker than which cards ur dealt, or whether or not theres a donk or two at ur table.

Just finished 30 in 660 mtt $7500 guarantee .. was going all the way but got blasted by pocket a's when i had pocket 4's and flop was a4q. Still had 13 bb after that and lost the coin toss to 77 with my kq.

Point is I feel I played well, and confident. Learned and am still learning fand mainly from "the langoliers" training classes almolst exclusively. Thats where I took my beginner game to the next level, and the next , and the next, and hopefully getting close to annette, etc.

This isnt a sales pitch, theyre, unbelievaly, free. Just want to make sure everyone (mostly newbies) are aware of them. They are under "videos." Then look for langolier. It's like poker c ollege.

I've got a tourney 7:15...pray for me...lol. I've always loved mtts cause the stakes/ poss. of winnings. Wish I could play sun million but im a dirty old american.

u all take care
cheers johann

Last edited by johannfl; Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 11:00 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 08, 2011, 08:02 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post
Anyone not aware of Anette Obrestad winning a 260 sng without looking at her hand (except once) ???

What a demonstation of playing her opponents (hand reading, etc) and position, etc.

Obviously theres a lot more to poker than which cards ur dealt, or whether or not theres a donk or two at ur table.

Just finished 30 in 660 mtt $7500 guarantee .. was going all the way but got blasted by pocket a's when i had pocket 4's and flop was a4q. Still had 13 bb after that and lost the coin toss to 77 with my kq.

Point is I feel I played well, and confident. Learned and am still learning fand mainly from "the langoliers" training classes almolst exclusively. Thats where I took my beginner game to the next level, and the next , and the next, and hopefully getting close to annette, etc.

This isnt a sales pitch, theyre, unbelievaly, free. Just want to make sure everyone (mostly newbies) are aware of them. They are under "videos." Then look for langolier. It's like poker c ollege.

I've got a tourney 7:15...pray for me...lol. I've always loved mtts cause the stakes/ poss. of winnings. Wish I could play sun million but im a dirty old american.

u all take care
cheers johann

Dave's the man!!

Enjoy,

Dale

Old
Sat Oct 08, 2011, 10:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
it was actually a 4.40 180 man that she did that with

Old
Sat Oct 08, 2011, 10:44 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0278 View Post
it was actually a 4.40 180 man that she did that with
OIC, Well in that case I guess she sucks.

Just being facetious.

cheers.

Last edited by johannfl; Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 10:50 PM..

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 04:30 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post
OIC, Well in that case I guess she sucks.

Just being facetious.

cheers.
hahahahhahaha.

Great placing in your last game and GL in your next...

Set over set on the flop is always going to be a blower for someone. You see that A up there next to your 4, you're jumping out of your chair putting them on AK. The cards get flipped and it's just a bit sick. Pretty much nothing you can do there.

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 05:06 AM
(#6)
i did here about oberstadt not looking at her cards in a 180 man 4.40 sit vand go but also herd it was self proclaimed and i dont beleave this happend because its self proclaimed.does any really know if theres proof on you tube on this?

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 06:14 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Not bad... but would like to see the proof, and then see her do it again. Could you really make a consistent profit from playing like this?

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 06:46 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh1967 View Post
theres proof on you tube on this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMpzJUHzWs

Judge for yourself.
If she faked it, she did it so well that... it seems rather irrelevant :)

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 08:01 AM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
This play style actually first belonged to Doyle Brunson.

There's an article of him in the library here, showing his actual philosophy.

The article basically says that he can outplay anyone without even having looked at his cards, so long as the other player doesn't know he hasn't looked at his cards.

Will find the article, and post the link.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...egic-Concept-1

You have to keep in mind that they are playing a very advanced strategy here, which doesn't always work(donkeys, loose-agros), as you will see in Doyle's article.

nice to be a contributor instead of an instigator for 1ce... lol

Last edited by Stakehorse75; Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: link.

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
Ahh, so it was online.

Her folding AA does seem to suggest that she did, but short of actually seeing Annette play with a post-it note on her computer screen, I will never be completely, totally, 100% convinced it's legit. Not to call her a liar, but I didn't see her do it.

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 11:17 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocofsmeg View Post
Not bad... but would like to see the proof, and then see her do it again. Could you really make a consistent profit from playing like this?

I just heard about it on tv, but always assumed she did it to make a point about the importance of playing people and position, not to make a profit. I'm about to check out the links provied in this thread, but I also remember doyle saying he could consistently win at poker without even looking at his cards if he was always on the button.

thanks for the replys

cheers

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:05 PM
(#12)
(Head Trainer)
Annette's 180-man is legit. If you watch the video and you understand the concepts johan is referring to, you can tell it's legit. Obv she had her share of luck along the way (which you need to win any larger field mtt anyway) but the point is when you don't look at your hole cards you have to find ways to accumulate chips WITHOUT hands, and that's what ALL great NLHE tournament players do... it's what makes them great. Because the cold hard fact is that the blinds in tournaments escalate faster than you can catch cards. If you're waiting for hands and just playing your cards, you are destined to a billion short stacked/mid stage bust outs. Once in a while you'll run super good and have a nice run, but most of the time the cards don't come fast enough to keep up and you'll be left behind.

And thanks for the kind words about my live trainings/vids johan, I'm glad to see the lightbulb lighting up.

Dave

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 02:17 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
As Dale sd, ur the man. Thank YOU for sharing what you know, and I'm sure it's just a fragment of what you know.

take care

cheers

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com