Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Bad move ?

Old
Bad move ? - Sat Oct 08, 2011, 10:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar

Was this a bad move after the flop ?

Old
Sat Oct 08, 2011, 11:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
nope, not at all.

After making a pretty standard raise, when you still hold the over pair to the board you are going to want to bet SOMETHING. ANY "normal" size bet is going to commit you anyway, so you may as well get em in NOW and make certain you end your decisions.

That means even if a scary card comes on the turn, you are in too deeply to FOLD, so you may as well end your decisions to prevent what might be a BIGGER "mistake" (putting a significant amount if chips in, then folding) than getting sucked out on or jamming into a "better" made hand.

The thing I'd ask is this:

With around a 15BB stack, and with the results showing that you got called in 2 places quite "light", why not just jam your QQ over the top of the limper immediately?

Fact is, making a standard type raise over that limper gets quite a bit of your stack in anyway (about 20% or so).

You DO hold a hand that fares pretty good against any call ranges that include the hands which we see calling your standard raise here.

By raising the smaller (but still pretty "committing" amount), you run the risk of letting these guys flop solid DRAWS (or even out flop you), which then improves their suck out chances greatly over what their loose ranges probably have as a chance to win vs your QQ if they call for all your chips pre-flop.

Also...

With them willing to call a raise pretty lightly pre flop, there is a strong chance they MISS the flop and cannot call any bet you make with your QQ. That costs you the chance to extract max value from the opponents' weaknesses when they DO fold to your stop n go play.

If the answer to this is: "Well, both of these guys are loose enough to call a normal raise to take a flop, but they have shown they are less likely to call an all in for my stack size" Then your actions do make more sense...you do not necessarily WANT to take down "just" the blinds, antes, and the single limp with your premium pocket pair.

but I'm just asking...do you think had you JAMMED pre flop over the limper, at least 1 of them might have called?

Last edited by JDean; Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 11:09 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 08, 2011, 11:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I absolutely like it!

In fact, I made the exact same play with AA instead of QQ in a tourney in Vegas last week with just about the same chip stack in relation to the blinds

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 06:45 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
I think your right next time i will just get them in,

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 08:27 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
i think jamming is the best option indeed but most of the time u suck both players dry with this kind of play!

another question:

If u alway should jam this hand against this kind of players aren't u gonna be to predictable to make any value out of future PP

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 10:10 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
thanks guys just jammed it after the break

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 11:32 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
After the break the blinds got smaller?
Interesting tourney structure :)

Old
Sun Oct 09, 2011, 11:38 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
lol 1st video was last night second was today

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com