Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Two Pair vs. flopped set

Old
Two Pair vs. flopped set - Tue Oct 11, 2011, 07:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi there. Just played this hand in a tournament. The preflop caller just recently trippled up with shoved 55s in a 3 way shoved pot (she was last to shove).

Sure I also don't have to shove there, but it's definitely no fold spot (isn't it?) and I don't think I can lay this down on the river. What do you guys think? Big mistake or does these cards play thereselves?

Thanks,
Yannick

Last edited by Schnech; Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Used the replayer

Old
Tue Oct 11, 2011, 01:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
she calls the preflop raise, then she check calls ur first barrel and checkraising the turn. ok u hit 2 pair but u are not commited yet and i think u have to worry about a set at tha point. it probably would be a hard to do lay down but she just smelled u hit ur ace and leaded u to a point of no return!!!

Old
Tue Oct 11, 2011, 03:27 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
check/call on the flop means that they hit something (A, set or spade draw). Check/raise on the turn without a spade hitting should rule out the spade draw, leaving either a big ace or a set. You've got a big ace that turns into 2 pair on the turn (which makes the odds of them having a big ace alot less, as there are only 2 other aces out there).

I definitely would not have pushed back on the turn, if I wanted to keep playing the hand, I'd have just called their check/raise and re-evaluated on the river.... which is what I'd have done in a cash tourney, unless it's right at the bubble, in which case I'd muck to be sure to cash.

If it was a league tourney, then I'd have definitely mucked to the check/raise, figuring they probably had a set and would want to try to last as long as possible in it (and by folding, you still have about a 30BB stack, which will not leave you as a short stack).

Old
Tue Oct 11, 2011, 03:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/theorems/baluga/ <= See this.

You face a turn C/R after putting aobut 21.5% of your chips into the pot (before the C/R).

If this villain's leak is over valuing hands, it is quite possible he holds something like A9/A2/Q9, and the "improvement" he is C/R'ing now is LESS than the improvement you've seen. The play of the 55 hand may well be the sort of info you need to lean toward AT LEAST a call of the C/R to 2750, and since that call puts you well past 30% in, your actual action (the shove) is really not a bad idea at all.

But what if you are wrong? What chance do you have to "catch up"?

I am not saying versus a very loose player you can find an EASY FOLD here, not by a long shot. But if you've seen indications that this villain's skill set may not be very advanced, then a C/R semi bluff is pretty unlikely. It is also more likely that he does not know about "value extraction" with hands like 2 pairs (non top 2), but a LOT of beginners and less skilled palyers have heard about (and seen) a slow play of a flopped set. That means if he is less skilled, the one play he is probably making here is a slow played top set...

Now...

With all that said, I do not think your stack is really deep enough to let you get away here at all, unless youa re going to immediately fold to that C/R. That might be a tad "weak" versus this player if he has shown ANY propensity toward bluffing. Plus...

As I stated above, if you are going to CALL for another 20% or so of your chips (putting you over 40% invested), you may as well SHOVE them in on top 2 and make your stand; there may be ENOUGH reason to suspect this guy is lighter than you and your improvement is enough to want to make that stand.

Were you on DOUBLE your chip stack, then I'd say your jam over the C/R was a bit too in-cautious; I'd advocate a flat of the jam, and probably a check down if the villain tries binking you for another C/R, OR a call of small to medium size river value bet by the Villain...but you were not on double the stack size here.

There is nothing so expensive in poker as a good, but 2nd best, hand.

Old
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 03:14 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks guys! That really helps a lot.

I thin you are right that the c/r from a player with not much in his skill set is a very obvious tell. I will consider this the next time!

Greetings,
Yannick

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com