Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Why is the point distribution so different from other poker tourneys?

Old
Why is the point distribution so different from other poker tourneys? - Tue Oct 11, 2011, 09:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Hello,

I'm one of 1500 players in the Premier Skill League and what I'm wondering is, why is the point distribution used in the skill leagues so different from other poker tourneys? According to how the skill leagues are advertised, they are supposed to be practice leagues. Unfortunately, with the currently used point system that's not really the case.

As anyone can observe, EVERY top ranked player in the open league reached their rank with the same strategy: it's not to play good poker, but to let the timer run out every time it's your turn in order to delay the time until being blinded out as much as possible. They will usually play only the best of the best hands like AQ+ and QQ+, but even by timing out and folding even these hands you'd survive beyond the bubble each tournament and reach a spot in the top 500 by the end of the month if you played enough tournaments - without ever having played a single hand. Anyone and even a very easily programmable bot can achieve this. Is this really the desired effect of the point system?
It's not that bad in the premier skill league because stacks are deeper, but the point system still promotes a play that is quite different from normal tournament play.

Why is this point system used? Is there a chance it will be changed in the future?

The same question was asked in the comments to this course twice but not answered:
Quote:
Why would the skill league tournament points structure be set up so differently from a real tournament that when you play the practice tournaments you are not supposed to play like you would in a real tournament? Does not seem like optimal "practice" for a real tournament.
Quote:
I don't see the point in learning to play in a manner that is wrong in real money games.
I want to see it, can anyone explain?

Old
Tue Oct 11, 2011, 10:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I guess its becuase Pokerstars forgot to ask you what would be best for you for its free torney, rather than what would attract the most >net player over to make a new deposit. What were they thinking with their FREE torneys.

But really, do we have to have another boohoo i'm not doing well in the absolutly free to enter torniment thread. the answer is easy if you dont like it dont play.

Grade b

ps i know i cant spell its deslexia and yes it sucks

Last edited by Grade b; Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 10:34 PM..

Old
Tue Oct 11, 2011, 10:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
SO HOW WOULD YOU CHANGE IT ???

Old
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
I guess its becuase Pokerstars forgot to ask you what would be best for you for its free torney, rather than what would attract the most >net player over to make a new deposit. What were they thinking with their FREE torneys.
The fact there is a league at all is great and of course anyone who doesn't like it needn't play it. This is not supposed to be a complain thread about pokerstars/PSO, it's their every right to design the leagues in the way they consider best. I believe it's my right to question some aspects of the design though if I'm backing my points up with reasoning, to suggest changes or to ask for the reasons why this design was chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
SO HOW WOULD YOU CHANGE IT ???
So that the point distribution is similar to the money distribution in a normal poker tournament. Some of the ideas of the current calculation formula should be kept though, e. g. that you win more/lose less points by reaching a specific place if you have fewer league points than the average player in the tourney and vice versa. The details of a possible new formula are not so important yet, I believe.

Old
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:25 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
SO WHEN WILL THE DETAILS BECOME IMPORTANT
IF YOU KNOW OF A WAY TO MAKE IT BETTER SPEAK UP

Old
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 07:00 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
who cares ya know like some else said we are lucky to have pso

Old
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 07:20 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
YAWN

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 09:20 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2011
Please dont complain.

This is a valid strategy in MTT's as well so it's exacly just like a normal MTT.

I've done the timing thing and playing strict tight hands untill blinds come around for half ur stack and go all-in with a decent hand.

Got me 147th out of 10.230 players after 7 hours.

Old
Sat Nov 05, 2011, 09:24 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTiberxX View Post
Please dont complain.

This is a valid strategy in MTT's as well so it's exacly just like a normal MTT.

I've done the timing thing and playing strict tight hands untill blinds come around for half ur stack and go all-in with a decent hand.

Got me 147th out of 10.230 players after 7 hours.
+100well done Tiber

The idea is to instil patience/position/hand value and pot odds

It also worked for me in a normal MTT with a rebuy and add on period
Getting me to 15th of just over 2000 entrants to cash for $68

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...878-Not-bad-eh

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com