Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

PLO improve skill??

Old
Question
PLO improve skill?? - Wed Oct 12, 2011, 06:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I started to play Pot Limit Omaha ( PLO ) cash game a week ago because i wanted to earn FPP n VPP for the PSO open league. I started with min buy-in 0.80 coz i m really new to PLO. In my surprise, PLO is really a fun game, so i started to grind for few day n started to making profit more than i made at NL .01/.02 as well as the FPP.

So i continue my routine n play around 2k hand per day with 4table at a time sometimes 6table, here came the interesting part, since i played PLO i think i also improve my skill on NL Holdem, I feel like PLO teach me patience, pot control, variance, and etc.

So my question is, "Did anybody feel the same way? or its just that i run good at the moment?"

Hope to hear from y'all, pls share your experience...

Old
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 08:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Yeah, tell me how you're doing in a couple of days. Every time I tried a new game or new stakes I thought the same thing. Then it hit me in the face. In my opinion this is more than variance, but let's leave it to that.

Really, keep us posted on what happens after 50k hands. Good luck!

Old
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:59 PM
(#3)
Yes Sir... i'll keep ya'll posted!

Old
Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:27 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Just wait until you come across the shove monkeys who will raise, raise, raise, and never lose. These guys win every hand.

Old
Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
Just wait until you come across the shove monkeys who will raise, raise, raise, and never lose. These guys win every hand.
I have come across those already, and it is very true indeed. They raise and reraise preflop with absolutely nothing, but somehow on the turn or the river they hold the nuts.

Anyway, first and foremost, PLO has shown me what a limited and boring game NL Hold'em really is.

Well, It's not really boring and limited, but compared to PLO, it is.

Last edited by Crumblepie; Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramanAK View Post
I started to play Pot Limit Omaha ( PLO ) cash game a week ago because i wanted to earn FPP n VPP for the PSO open league. I started with min buy-in 0.80 coz i m really new to PLO. In my surprise, PLO is really a fun game, so i started to grind for few day n started to making profit more than i made at NL .01/.02 as well as the FPP.

So i continue my routine n play around 2k hand per day with 4table at a time sometimes 6table, here came the interesting part, since i played PLO i think i also improve my skill on NL Holdem, I feel like PLO teach me patience, pot control, variance, and etc.

So my question is, "Did anybody feel the same way? or its just that i run good at the moment?"

I have to agree with you, when I could play here I made more profit playing PLO than I did at NLH 6 max tables. Not sure why that was. Keep up the grinding and beef up your BR

Old
Thu Oct 13, 2011, 06:30 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
Trust me, no doubt ive seen these player on the table ton of time... there's always a way to play these guys, coz its LIMIT omaha, fold post flop if miss, if hit, then let them hang their self.. haha

Old
Fri Oct 14, 2011, 12:04 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywallman3 View Post
I have to agree with you, when I could play here I made more profit playing PLO than I did at NLH 6 max tables. Not sure why that was. Keep up the grinding and beef up your BR
the reason ur finding it easier to win at PLO than at hold em is because in PLO, there are so many draws out there that whole stacks are going in the middle more often on the flop and the turn. there's a lot higher degree of variance, and if ur constantly getting it in with the best of it, you will be winning more...but if ur having an unlucky day u could potentially lose a lot more as well. it is a draw heavy game with little bluffing, and preflop play is not nearly as important as it is in hold em.

Old
Fri Oct 14, 2011, 12:08 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramanAK View Post

after a long session of PLO, it isn't nearly as much fun to play holdem. i keep waiting to see four cards draw, but they never do....duuuhhhhhh lol anyway, PLO is more fun b/c it is more of a gambling game than holdem. rarely are u more than a 2 to 1 favorite over any hand post flop in PLO, so the money tends to go in a lot more often. in holdem, whats the best u can see? a bare top set vs. nut flush/open ended or double gutter straight draw? in omaha u can have 2 flush draws and 6 ways to make a straight, all in the same hand...a bare set gets burned

Old
Fri Oct 14, 2011, 05:01 AM
(#10)
Ok, i'll try update every 2day progress for 3time to those experience pls give advice such as did i make enough hand per day? Is my progress consider slow? etc...

13th Oct Thursday
1st session 7am - 11am ( 4Hours )
1466hand ( 4 - 9 Table )
Profit in Bankroll % - 26.8%

2nd session 12.30pm - 4pm ( 3.5Hours )
475hand ( 2 - 4 Table )
Profit in Bankroll % - 16.33%

Total of hand - 1941
Total profit in Bankroll - 46.57%

14th Oct Friday
1st session 6.30am - 11am ( 4.5Hours )
1513hand ( 4 - 9 Table )
Profit in Bankroll % - 24.66%

2nd session 1.00pm - 4pm ( 3 Hours )
751hand ( 1 - 4 Table )
Profit in Bankroll % - 5.54%

Total of hand - 2264
Total profit in Bankroll - 31.57%

So, there is my simple report... i keep update next tuesday as i play on weekday more.
Hope to hear from ya'll... Happy Grinding.

Last edited by ultramanAK; Fri Oct 14, 2011 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Change my 2nd session time from 12.30pm to 1.00pm

Old
Fri Oct 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
(#11)
Since: Mar 2010
The much hands you make is depended of your concentation at a session.
When there is no concentration and motivation in your game, you better stop the session.
When you feel good after a session, you made enough hands, for the next session.
Know that you have a lot of years to improve your game over and over.

It is not a question to make as much as possible hands as quick as possible.
It´s the learning process fromout motivation and concentration in your game, that improves your game. Watch back intersting hands you have just play regularly.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com