Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Pocket KK's raised on the flop

Old
Pocket KK's raised on the flop - Wed Oct 12, 2011, 09:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Hello ,

Before I start I have to say I need to work on identifing the villains to be more informed of the decisions I take at the table (a HUD would help) anyway , I reraised pocket KK's preflop , Cbet the flop and was min raised (why min raise ?) , I called and feel I may have misread the turn .

Assuming they credited me with a big hand , did the Ace worry the villain with the low bet or reinforce an AQ hand ? I felt more certain that my pocket KK's may not be good enough and folded but ,

Would you say the reraise was 2 pair or a set ? Did I fold the best hand ?

Clearly knowing villain types and their tendencies would help turn a long term profit in such situations .

Your thoughts are welcome .

Thankyou .

Last edited by JARGON1977; Wed Oct 12, 2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
min raise/call, then min raise the flop then bet the turn

First... did the opp always min raise, or was it out of character? If it was out of character, then it's probably AA. Otherwise, the min raise won't tell very much and alot of opps at that level will just min raise everything because they don't know any better.

It sounds to me like they have Qx spades or possibly AQ or AA or a set or also A9 or A5.... most likely Qx spades (or A9/A5/AQ). If so, then the raise on the flop is with top pair and the bet on the turn is to find out if you've got an ace. If they have 2 pair from the ace, you've got 2 outs. If they've got AA, they should be raising more both preflop and on the flop.

Honestly, I'd probably muck to the A on the turn, becuase when it hits, the only hand that you can beat is Qx of spades and they'd still have 9 outs on you if you did call... the rest of them crush your KK.

Old
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
Thanks JWK .

It felt like the first Big holding I had been dealt in a while and as much as I wanted to win with it , it seemed destined to be beaten at that point .

I need to ID the villains and play with more information , something for me to be working on .

Old
Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
out of character min raises normally signifies a MONSTER. But you need to know if it is out of character, or if the opp always just hits the raise button. If they continually just hit the raise button, it won't signify much.

Watching their betting patterns is a great way to get a tell on a player online.

Old
Thu Oct 13, 2011, 02:14 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARGON1977 View Post
Hello ,

Before I start I have to say I need to work on identifing the villains to be more informed of the decisions I take at the table (a HUD would help) anyway , I reraised pocket KK's preflop , Cbet the flop and was min raised (why min raise ?) , I called and feel I may have misread the turn .

Assuming they credited me with a big hand , did the Ace worry the villain with the low bet or reinforce an AQ hand ? I felt more certain that my pocket KK's may not be good enough and folded but ,

Would you say the reraise was 2 pair or a set ? Did I fold the best hand ?

Clearly knowing villain types and their tendencies would help turn a long term profit in such situations .

Your thoughts are welcome .

Thankyou .
another possibility: he has just a flush draw, and fired a blocking bet behind your check...

the problem for you is that A though...

If you raise that 30c bet on the turn, you are sticking yourself pretty hard for the rest of his stack.

Pot = 1.89 when he makes his 29c turn bet behind your check, and any standard type raise would cost you about 45c to 60c more than that.
If he CALLS or JAMS over that raise by you, you are all but forced to call for the rest of his stack, either now, or on the river. If the spade hits on the river...then what?

Even flatting that 30c bet is going to see the pot built up to $2.19, and with only 91c left in the villain;s stack, you would be pretty much committed for the rest of his chips with a call...

So to be honest, I'm not completely convinced you ARE behind when that Ace falls, but I DO know that if you are behind, you are going to lose a lot more than you will by check/folding this turn.

Sometimes it is better to lose a little, than it is to try a "hero play" and lose a lot.

Well played.

Last edited by JDean; Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 02:17 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com