Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

OMG -- What NOT to Do!

Old
OMG -- What NOT to Do! - Sat Oct 15, 2011, 11:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
These are 2 of the most bizarre ways of playing a hand that I've EVER seen an opponent do! I won't spoil it -- you'll have to see it to believe it. The first is worse than the 2nd, but they are both atrocious.

EDIT: Darnit, the replayer doesn't show her hole cards for the first hand....so much for not spoiling it. They are AhQh. In the second, the replayer shows her cards properly.

How do you profile a player like this? Can we invent a new category?

~Luv

P.S. Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this, but I was just so amazed I had to share. I unchecked the "evaluation request" box.

Last edited by ILuvPoker77; Sat Oct 15, 2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 15, 2011, 11:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
first one's not that unusual... they check, hoping someone hits something, so they can stack the opp. Depending on how the table is playing, I'd consider checking the flop or turn with the nut flush.. especially with an aggressive opp.

2nd one... gotta value bet the river, no doubt about it.

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 12:09 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
first one's not that unusual... they check, hoping someone hits something, so they can stack the opp. Depending on how the table is playing, I'd consider checking the flop or turn with the nut flush.. especially with an aggressive opp.
Actually, I had kind of been mixing it up, not showing excessive aggression, so I don't think she had reason to think I would pounce if she checked.

I am glad I didn't take a stab at the pot. I didn't see much point in tossing chips to the wind, which often happens when I take stabs from the BB with nothing. Even if I had made a stab at it, it would have been a small one, and only one.

So, I guess she wasn't getting money out of me regardless -- perhaps under those circumstances her play made some kind of sense.

Quote:
2nd one... gotta value bet the river, no doubt about it.
Definitely.

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 12:12 AM
(#4)
Totally irrelevant bragging post: I went on to place 5th in this tourney, out of 118, so there may be hope for me yet... :P

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 12:15 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
5th of 118 should get you ITM... and the bottom line.. IS.. the bottom line! congrats.

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 12:42 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I don't see what's so bad.

Hand 1, she flops the nuts on a scary board. The only hand she's really worried about outdrawing her are sets. How likely are you to have a flush or a good flush draw considering you checked your BB preflop? By checking she gives you a chance to bluff or pick up a piece and make a bad value bet. Checking two streets out of position looks so weak and I don't know how you didn't bet the turn! You have nothing and she has checked two streets. You have no fear of getting raised (easy fold obviously.) I'm betting the turn unless I have a read that her checking the two streets means she has a big hand and not air.

Hand 2 it looks like she expected butterfly to bet the river since she did so on the turn. I assume she was planning on check-raising there at least. A nice potsize bet on the river is probably better with the top full house, but if butterfly has a busted draw she's never calling, and probably unlikely to even raise. However if she has a hand like an ace or 88, she's probably just checking behind. Any 6 probably bets and then calls the check/raise. Still there are so many busted draws in her range that if butterfly is aggressive, there may be more value in checking to let her bluff. That is probably not the case here, but it absolutely can be. Sometimes checking the nuts is likely to net more value than just betting them, particularly against an aggressive opponent.

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 06:31 AM
(#7)
Quote:
5th of 118 should get you ITM... and the bottom line.. IS.. the bottom line! congrats.
Thank you -- yes, it was ITM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
I don't see what's so bad....
Actually, I'm really glad I posted these hands now. It's interesting to find out that although her play baffled me at the time, it may have made sense under the circumstances.

No, I don't always bet if I have the nuts...there are some opponents who I know just CANNOT control themselves and MUST bet if the other person isn't, so letting them be the aggressor is a great strategy in those situations.

But I'm not one of those opponents, nor did I present myself to be at that particular table.

Why didn't I bet the turn? Because there were SO many calling stations in this 10 cent game that I thought if I made a stab, I thought I was likely to get a call even if she had so much as a pair. In that particular game, I assumed players were loose-passive until proven otherwise. Since I didn't have so much as a pair, I didn't bet. A lot of pots are worth taking stabs at; IMO at the time, in that game, this one wasn't. It's WAY too easy to leak chips bluffing at people who can't be bluffed, of which there were quite a few in that game.

After a number of hands it became clear she was weak-tight -- not a station at all -- but I didn't know that when the hand in question was played.

Last edited by ILuvPoker77; Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 06:37 AM..

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
I thought I was likely to get a call even if she had so much as a pair.
I don't disagree. But she has K high or worse here plenty. Worth a stab since you are not afraid of being raised off of anything.

You don't want to try to bluff call stations off anything, true. But generally they play fit or fold postflop, and they still miss more often than they hit.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com