Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

What to Do???

Old
Question
What to Do??? - Sun Oct 16, 2011, 06:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
About the 4th hand of the $4,50 180 player MTT.
I clicked on find this player and he was only playing at this table.
I changed my mind 3 times before i decided what to do.
What would you do?

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 11:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
with 4 in for the flop this early... it's an easy fold for me. Most likely they have a Q, which would only give you 2 draws at 2 outs, making you an 8% favorite to win... you can definitely find a better spot to get your chips into.

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 09:32 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2010
I think with a bet and a call on the flop, I just take one card off and just call the flop and re-evaluate the turn action.

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Definitely taking one off here. It's such a cheap price to see what they do on the turn. Often they have straight draws or weaker kings. Raising here is the absolute wrong play. You're either way ahead or way behind.

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
It's not a cheap price, if he calls here he's all in. I'm folding, I think the guy that pushed has to have a Q of some kind. Two outs is not near enough this early in the tourney.

Old
Sun Oct 16, 2011, 11:43 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
He has to call 60 chips into a pretty big pot. A minbet in a big pot is a pretty cheap price. No sense in raising unless he's trying to induce a bluff which he then has to call.

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:52 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
It's not a cheap price, if he calls here he's all in. I'm folding, I think the guy that pushed has to have a Q of some kind. Two outs is not near enough this early in the tourney.
No joy, 60 on a FLAT CALL to peel is a cheap price here...

After the RR to 200 it isn't a cheap call (when the villain jams) by any means, but to flat the 60 and peel a turn it is.

The thing here is, the RR was a touch too aggressive. What worse hand is going to call, A lesser K? Maybe...

But by re-opening the betting, he also gives the villain a shot to bluff shove or semi bluff shove, and in that case AK is not a big enough hand to call on this board.

You gotta remember, peeling 1 here opens the possibility that your opponent puts YOU on the Q (if he is bluffing), and that can definately dry up his ability to jam. Who knows, the turn may have thrown out a K, or it could have given the hero a gut shot straight draw which induced another tiny bet by the Villain...and that could have led to a somewhat "cheap" suck out.

But after the RR, there was no chance of that happening when the jam occured.

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 01:01 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I agree with the others, raising the flop is pretty bad... it's a way ahead/way behind situation with the only legit draw being JT. If you raise this flop you better be prepared to call or fold to a 3b, so what is your plan? It's much better to keep the pot small and use your positional advantage, just call the weak lead and go from there.

Another thought, I'm not a big fan of the preflop raise over all these limpers with AKs... on level 1 I'd prefer to keep the pot small and see the flop in position in a multi-way pot with AKs is fine. If we have reads that we are dealing with limp-folders, loose preflop fit and fold types, etc, then I'm much more in favor of the raise. All we really accomplished here was bloating the pot in a multi-way affair with a hand that will miss more often than it improves and we'll just be giving up post flop. It's not a bad thing to increase the stakes when we're in position with a strong hand, but in this case I prefer keeping the pot smaller with multiple opponents involved with no reads.

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 05:03 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
No joy, 60 on a FLAT CALL to peel is a cheap price here...
Thanks, JD, I misunderstood this, I was looking at the RR. I agree, a call for the original raise of 60 to see the turn would have been fine.

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:09 PM
(#10)
Since: Dec 2010
Thanks for all your input, I was really stumped when he shoved i didnt know what to do,
When i checked to see he was only playing one table i thought he would be more likely to bluff.
If he had AA or KK would he have 3 bet me pre flop?
And i know if i had a queen i would not shove in his spot i would call or min raise.
Maybe I am just a donkey and got lucky but it did also make me a big stack witch i kept and grew to the final table and was chip leader HU and came second because i suck at HU.
@ The Langolier this was the reason i was looking for heads up videos.
As for not raising pre flop, I thought we should always raise to thin the field, The limpers still did come along, but if i didnt raise both blinds would of been there too.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com